Medcon orders while waiting for LOD results?

Snap03

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hi, I found this website a while ago and have found it very helpful with my condition. Quick background: 13+ yr (8+ years of active duty orders) AF Reserve Pilot on 144 days of school orders since last Nov 2011, late Nov 2011 diagnosed with HLA-B27+ Spondyloarthropathy (Spondyloarthritis)/basicly the same as Ankylosing Spondylitis. Long term DNIF and being told that my meds are non-waiverable to fly in the military. Currently on methotrexate, humira, and meloxicam. I have reviewed Mike Parker's info and it has been very educating. Still waiting for LOD results from ARPC. Med group decided to pin my LOD on my last anthrax vaccine in Nov 2009 while I was in the ANG before an OEF deployment, not sure if that is good or bad? Current dilemma is my school orders end in March and the medgroup says I am not entitled to medcon orders and that I could look into incapacitation pay since I can't fly at my civilian job for now with these meds. I have reviewed AFRCI 36-3004. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Rickman,

Lots of great info. Thank you. Most of the new guidance deals with orders in support of contingency ops. The orders I am on now and when I was diagnosed are just school orders. It doesn't look like these memos apply to my case.

Thanks,
Snap

Rickman,

Lots of great info. Thank you. Most of the new guidance deals with orders in support of contingency ops. The orders I am on now and when I was diagnosed are just school orders. It doesn't look like these memos apply to my case.

Thanks,
Snap

You have an interesting case now that I have gone back and re-read what occurred. There are a lot of "what-if's" in there to consider. You may want to review AFI 36-2910 - especially Chapter 3 - and then consider the specifics of your situation. I had a similar situation where my LOD was completed in 2010 for a documented injury that occurred in 2005. When I discussed the injury with the doc, he did not refer me to get an evaluation. I wish the doc had done what he should have back then. Now I am feeling the pain daily.

After you review the instruction, you may want to ask Jason (site administrator) for his opinion. He is a PEB lawyer. Your situation is way over my head and Jason probably can tell you for sure if you have a case or not.

Good luck and expect a bumpy ride!

Definitely lots of questions. The frustrating part is that the med group won't do anything until they get the LOD back from ARPC, such as starting the MEB, possible waiver, etc. Who knows how long it will take to get the LOD back from ARPC, it has already been there for nearly 4 weeks. Meanwhile my orders will end and then no medical for the family since I can't go back to my civilian job.

Definitely lots of questions. The frustrating part is that the med group won't do anything until they get the LOD back from ARPC, such as starting the MEB, possible waiver, etc. Who knows how long it will take to get the LOD back from ARPC, it has already been there for nearly 4 weeks. Meanwhile my orders will end and then no medical for the family since I can't go back to my civilian job.

Snap,
Be prepared....your LOD can and likely will take in excess of 4-6 months. Also, be prepared for them to come back with an EPTS LOD/NA determination. They have a Col Reynolds who is currently adjudicating the med parts of the LODs. It is NOT uncommon to have the front side of your LOD consistently saying "ILOD", then the good Dr to make a statement on the back, with NO justification, that changes the determination. She was once a flight surgeon (family medicine) but has been at HQ for some time....

This is the game. I've heard that up to 80% of the LODs that come across MGen Gorley's desk get turned back with a EPTS determination...almost makes me happy AMR went BK....at least he gets to share in the pain of being unfairly denied a pension.....(I'm pretty sure he is an AMR pilot on mil leave).

I recommend you IMMEDIATELY contact your congressman's office.....there needs to be oversight of your LOD process. I contacted mine over my lack of medcon orders, and apparently the SECDEF's office kept sending it back to the AF....so by forcing them to answer to your congressman, it has to make it's way thru the Secdef's LA....not just the AF's...and it get's the AFR's BS scrutinized. Scrutiny is a VERY good thing.

Oh, and i you are NOT WORLDWIDE QUALIFIED, they MUST give you INCAP pay until you are better or your LOD is completed. Personally, medcon is significantly better, and the way the laws are written, it implies that you should be getting medcon orders also....but the AF will fight you at every step.

89Falcon,

Thanks so much for the advice, I appreciate it. Maybe it will put things in perspective for the MGen when he gets to experience having rights and entitlements taking away from him with AMR. Starting my congressional letter and IG complaint. I can't accept the medgroup's lack of action and desire for me to just go away. Never backed away from a fight and won't start now. Best of luck to you.

89Falcon,

Thanks so much for the advice, I appreciate it. Maybe it will put things in perspective for the MGen when he gets to experience having rights and entitlements taking away from him with AMR. Starting my congressional letter and IG complaint. I can't accept the medgroup's lack of action and desire for me to just go away. Never backed away from a fight and won't start now. Best of luck to you.

Hopefully some of the things I have in the works will be of benefit.... ;)

Quick update but finally after 8 months I got my LOD back from HQ AF Reserves as "EPTS-Service Aggravated", this was only after Walter Reed did a Causality Assessment on what caused my Spondyloarthropathy (spondyloarthritis) and found that: "SM's reported onset of symptoms during deployment and subsequent clinical course is entirely consistent with the natural course of the ultimately confirmed disease, and therefore, his spondyloarthritis and any future direct consequences should be considered Line of Duty YES". Now trying to figure out the next step...

The reality is that I won't ever fly in the military again, deploy, etc. with this condition. I also can't sit a desk for more than an hour or two so I am being told I will most likely be found unfit for further service. I have been working with Jason on the next step, my MEB. Now, I am trying to get put back on orders for the MEB process, hopefully medcon orders.

Sounds like my exact situation. I was diagnosed with MS five months ago. I am a traditional reservist (17 years / 11 active) who was on 30+ day orders when diagnosed and cannot go back to my civilian flying job either now. I fought every step to remain on MEDCON but now that my current set of orders are up 15 Oct an extension is not being approved. Two qualifications are needed to be approved and/or stay on MEDCON; 1, being unstable and 2, officially in the IDES process. I am being considered "stable" and I currently sat at the IRILO stage (not part of the IDES yet).

My LOD came back approved since I wrote a letter and got support from my Neurologist to apply the "service aggravated" theory and I also advocate for the "8 year rule" if the service aggravated part was not enough.

Now, since I am coming off orders and await the IDES process I am looking into if I qualify for INCAP. No one can once again give me any guidance or support!