Medical retirement and VA compensation

DannyRay22

Registered Member
Hello to anyone that wants to chime in. I've asked a few people this, and get different answers from everyone...so here goes. I'm a reservist with 18 years; 7.5 years active, the rest reserve. I've had a VA disability rating of 80% for 2 years, and was recently increased to 100%. If I request a med board, can I get both VA disability compensation and army retirement now? I was at RPAC today and they recommended I go into the IRR for 2 years, get my 20 year letter, and then get out. Is there any situation in which I can collect my retirement pay sooner than later (like before age 60)? I understand that the time can be decreased with the 90 day rule, but that's still backing that date down from age 60.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Twenty good years is the requirement for a reserve retirement which is payable at age 60. A member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date.

CRDP is not payable to a CH 61 retiree unless they qualify for another retirement including meeting the age requirement for a reserve retirement (if applicable).

If you somehow qualified for an active duty/regular retirement, the age requirement does not apply.

If you select a CH 61 retirement now, you might be eligible for CRSC. A collection of CRSC info is at LINK.

Ron

DannyRay22

Registered Member
Twenty good years is the requirement for a reserve retirement which is payable at age 60. A member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date.

CRDP is not payable to a CH 61 retiree unless they qualify for another retirement including meeting the age requirement for a reserve retirement (if applicable).

If you somehow qualified for an active duty/regular retirement, the age requirement does not apply.

If you select a CH 61 retirement now, you might be eligible for CRSC. A collection of CRSC info is at LINK.

Ron
Thanks Ron. That's what I thought I would hear.

macjac69

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
FWIW, I was a Guardsman, did just shy of 10 years regular Army, and got lucky enough to do 5 years of title 10 that combined with all my other ADT, AT, schools, etc. boosted me to over 7200 retirement points which going thru IDES I was credited with 20 YOS. Receive CDRP.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">