Medical retirement but getting paid by DFAS

Theoldhag88

Registered Member
Hey all,

I was medically retired on 27FEB of this year as an E-6, my DOD rating was 50% and my VA ratings where 90%. I only had 13 years in. Should I be getting pay from DFAS for retirement? I thought they said at the WTU that under 15 years you would waive your DOD retirement and only receive VA compensation. I just don’t want to get overpaid and get into that whole mess, but I’ve received a few checks from DFAS now and my VA claim was just finalized yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm an finance troop and if it wasn't combat related then you will owe the retirement pay to DFAS most likely. The reason it was paying is because you weren't drawing the VA disability yet. The VA pay will be more than your e6 retirement anyway and just pay back DFAS when you get your back pay from the VA

Theoldhag88

Registered Member
I'm an finance troop and if it wasn't combat related then you will owe the retirement pay to DFAS most likely. The reason it was paying is because you weren't drawing the VA disability yet. The VA pay will be more than your e6 retirement anyway and just pay back DFAS when you get your back pay from the VA
Will it stop automatically now? I put all those checks right into savings.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
That way your not without any check and you have a seamless transition in pay

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Excellent answer by finance troop.

The combat related is CRSC and one cannot apply with their service until they have a VA rating. Most CH61 retirees with less than 20 years, receive the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay as their CRSC.

Ron
USA Finance Corps/troop 1966-1991...a fine tribe.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks @RonG for backing me up. Been an FM troop AD Air Force 99-2003 Air National Guard 2006 - ongoing.... Active Guard Reserve from 2008 to 2018...

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">