Medical retirement pay question

btaf

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi everyone, First i want to say thank you to everyone who shares on this forum. It is truly awesome. Here it goes...

I’m still AD just waiting on orders to out process. I was found unfit with a 70DoD/100VA rating for ptsd, mdd and others. I have been in for 9 years and 10 months. The last seven years I served as a E5 SSgt in the Air Force but recently I was demoted to E4 SrA for pt reasons. My questions is: am I going to receive two pay checks 1 from VA and 1 from DoD? I’m confused. If I am, how do I figure out my medical retirement Pay check? Thank you so much for your help.

Hi everyone, First i want to say thank you to everyone who shares on this forum. It is truly awesome. Here it goes...

I’m still AD just waiting on orders to out process. I was found unfit with a 70DoD/100VA rating for ptsd, mdd and others. I have been in for 9 years and 10 months. The last seven years I served as a E5 SSgt in the Air Force but recently I was demoted to E4 SrA for pt reasons. My questions is: am I going to receive two pay checks 1 from VA and 1 from DoD? I’m confused. If I am, how do I figure out my medical retirement Pay check? Thank you so much for your help.
1. Your retired pay will be the higher of your longevity computation
(Active duty years x 0.025) x (high three) = retired pay
OR
(High three x 0.70) = retired pay...most likely

2. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive. Since your VA comp is @100%, that might result in zero retired pay remaining.

3. You may get be eligible for CRSC. See THIS LINK <<<—-

Note: active duty data is used for the longevity computation. Reserves/NG: points/360 = Active duty equivalent

Ron

Ron,
I think that first equation should be

((Active duty years x 2.5%) / 100) x (high three) = retired pay

Ron,
I think that first equation should be

((Active duty years x 2.5%) / 100) x (high three) = retired pay
Good catch... I was using the “formula” as a presentation rather than a precise formula where I would have used 0.025 (2.5/100). I should not have used a shortcut. Entschuldigen Sie bitte...

Example using randomly selected numbers:
10 yrs x 0.025 = 25%
3000 high three x 0.25 = 750

Thanks...
Ron

Perhaps... I was using the “formula” as a presentation rather than a precise formula where I would have used 0.025 (2.5/100). I should not have used a shortcut. Entschuldigen Sie bitte...

Example Using randomly selected numbers.
10 yrs x 0.025 = 25%
3000 high three x 0.25 = 750

Thanks...
Ron

Soooo does that mean I’ll get 750 on top of the VA check? You guys are awesome for the help. Seriously, thank you for your time.

Soooo does that mean I’ll get 750 on top of the VA check? You guys are awesome for the help. Seriously, thank you for your time.
No...that was an example to explain my thoughts about the computation. Those numbers have absolutely nothing to do with your case. @Guardguy11 was correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ron