Medical Retirement Pay

gadgettr1

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Question, I was Medically Retired as of 31 Aug 2019 with 50% DOD. I did 22 years 6 months of Army National Guard service (no active duty time other than deployment and schools). My question is do I receive my military retirement pay at age 59 1/2 as I've thought and have been told. Or should I be collecting it immediately since it's a medical retirement? I had a friend tell me today that another friend is receiving his immediately.

Thanks,

Chip

Question, I was Medically Retired as of 31 Aug 2019 with 50% DOD. I did 22 years 6 months of Army National Guard service (no active duty time other than deployment and schools). My question is do I receive my military retirement pay at age 59 1/2 as I've thought and have been told. Or should I be collecting it immediately since it's a medical retirement? I had a friend tell me today that another friend is receiving his immediately.
Thanks,
Chip

You qualify for DOD disability pay immediately since you have a DOD rating of 30% or more.

However, if you receive VA compensation, you lose (waive) retired pay in the amount of VA comp received.

If that is the case (waiver of retired pay for VA compensation), you might be eligible for CRSC which replaces some or all of waived retired pay.

See
Supplement to CRSC Information. <—-LINK

Ron

Hmmmm, I am currently rated 90% VA and 50% DOD. I am only collecting my VA compensation, I was told I would collect my military retirement at age 59.5 in addition to my VA comp. Is this correct?

Thank you,

Chip

Hmmmm, I am currently rated 90% VA and 50% DOD. I am only collecting my VA compensation, I was told I would collect my military retirement at age 59.5 in addition to my VA comp. Is this correct?

Thank you,

Chip
Yes and that is for your reserve retirement qualification. You would receive CRDP that restores the longevity portion of your retired pay. You asked about payment for a medical retirement which I explained to you.

Ron

Ok, thank you sir. I was just trying to check to make sure I was being paid correctly. I'm not sure where my friend got his info thinking that I should be getting both pays immediately.

Chip

Regular retirees in your situation would receive CRDP immediately; perhaps he was thinking of that.

You might check out CRSC to determine if it applies.

Ron