I am currently serving in the Army National Guard (approx. 2 years). 5 months ago, I was diagnosed and treated for testicular cancer. The treatment was successful in regard to cancer removal. However, there is lasting pain and effects from the surgery, both psychological and physical. I have no family history of cancer or anything of this nature. My question is, if I can even get my cancer service related, what would be my best route of initiating and receiving a medical retirement from the Army National Guard? Either way, I am unfit for service and need a discharge, but I would like to do so while receiving compensation and benefits. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have not for this specific reason, I used civilian doctors, but I still have the option to go on base if I wanted. But I do have lots of paperwork to confirm the condition.

You must be able to demonstrate it is service connected. Was it diagnosed while on AD?

Depends on what you mean by active. It was diagnosed while I was in good standing with the guard and attending all drill and training dates. I was not, however, on an active-duty deployment.

What the guard doesn’t tell you. Is if you get hurt outside drill or AT. Including any new conditions or diseases. That is not compensable. A lot of people assume they are covered like active duty personnel. Even if they caused the issue it’s an uphill battle. If you are on active duty anything that happens to you is covered, active duty that requires a DD-214. As a NG member you have to prove that the military has caused or aggravated your issue. If you are saying it happened on drill or AT you need a LOD from your unit. Is it impossible? No.

A common connection for NG members.

Example: The unit/commander knows you have a condition and they still make you preform your duties at drill.

1: It makes your condition worse. Doctor then writes a a NEXUS/ medical opinion that it is at least as likely as not the military made your condition worse.

2: You go to a doctor, you get them a note. Profile issued by a medical unit or maybe they ignore it completely or issue a weak profile. It makes your condition worse. Doctor then writes a a NEXUS opinion that it is at least as likely as not the military made your condition worse.

It is very common for NG units to abuse profiles or ignore medical conditions because they are very low strength right now. The only reason I bring it up. It may not be your case at all. Either way I won’t lie to you. It will be a very uphill battle for you.

Because you’re in the guard you can file a VA claim at anytime. You need to have your case ready. If it’s a 50/50 chance the military caused or aggravated conditions. The SM wins ties.

Active Duty (AD ) means on title 10 orders.