Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Jason Perry submitted a new resource:

Medical Standard Directory - The Medical Standards Directory for conditions that require referral to a MEB/PEB in the Air Force

This Air Force regulation contains a listing of conditions that fail retention standards and require referral to the MEB/PEB. Note that the listing contained herein is not all inclusive; unlisted disabilities may also require referral to the disability evaluation system.

Read more about this resource...

Attachments

• MSD Jun 2019 final.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
Jason Perry submitted a new resource:

Medical Standard Directory - The Medical Standards Directory for conditions that require referral to a MEB/PEB in the Air Force

Read more about this resource...
Jason,

Thank you for locating this resource that the Air Force hid from its members!
To play a little bit of devil's advocate, the AFMS didn't hide this "regulation." The reason the MSD is a separate reference is so that it can be updated rapidly and published without additional routing through the MAJCOM's for publishing in an AFI. Per AFI 48-123, Ch. 5:
This chapter and the Medical Standards Directory include medical conditions and defects that are potentially disqualifying and/or preclude continued military service. These standards are not all inclusive and other diseases or defects can be cause for rejection based upon the medical judgment of the examining healthcare provider. Airmen with conditions listed in this chapter and the Medical Standards Directory require evaluation for continued military service
AND
While this is not an all-inclusive list of disqualifying conditions, conditions and defects listed in Chapter 5 and the Medical Standards Directory are potentially disqualifying and/or preclude continued military service. The standards and other diseases or defects not specifically listed can be cause for rejection based upon the medical judgment of the examining physician or reviewing authority.
So the MSD is actually a guide or reference than an actual directive or regulation. There is plenty of room for interpretation at both the base and MAJCOM when assessing people for retention and flying waivers (evaluation does not equate to MEB / DNIF). However the great many AF medics won't view the MSD as a guide, but rather as the new bible to follow blindly.
Anyway, the MSD must be maintained by the AFMS, and the most logical place to put it is their own server/gateway, the AFMS Knowledge Exchange (Kx). It wasn't hidden, but access is limited in effect.
So what I'm trying to say is the AFMS is more inconsiderate and incompetent than malicious.

@deaddebate , I understand your point. And I am not really weighing in one way or another on any "intentions." That issue aside, I think that it violates several laws (and regulatory guidance) to have this not publicly accessible. To cite, list, and argue them would take much time to no effect.

((However, given references to the MSD in AFI 48-123, and the effect it has on whether someone is required to be referred for disability evaluation makes it an "actual regulation." Again, I could (and would have to in order to make the complete argument) write about why this is so, but it would take more time than I have and would not change anything. I have fought this very issue out in court and there are several cases that reference this issue)).

The AF publication rules are absurdly burdensome. I believe the MSD is posted where its at because its expedient.

I was reading this, and it helped answer many of my questions, however, if there is a "x" in the retention column, does that indicate that it is still deemed "fit for duty"

Can someone rest my concerns please. I have been in the air force for 18 years. I have a condition that when I check the medical standards directory does not have a X in the retention column. I am on flying status as aircrew. So I may be removed from flying, however since there is no X in the retention column I shouldnt be booted from the air force or even go to a MEB. Is this correct?

Can anyone post the sister school requirements for special operations duty (SSR PAGE) in the MSD?
The link wont allow me to click on it, and Im trying to access the current vision standards. Thanks.

The MSD is an AF specific document. It list medical retention standards.

The MSD does not have every disease by name, but sometimes expresses disqualification by impairment. The VA rates fibromyalgia:
1529275547996.png

1529275686433.png

You are welcome. I have never understood why the AF makes the MSD hard to find. I'm glad it is posted in the resource section of this site.

Here is the latest Air Force MSD dated this month.

The biggest point is; Airmen with any degree of obstructive sleep apnea do NOT require an IRILO if their symptoms are well controlled using a PAP machine or oral positional devices. Deployment waiver may still be required per COCOM reporting instructions.

Attachments

• MSD Mar 2019.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.