Medically retired 100% VA disability. Apply for CRSC

soldieradvocate

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Started paperwork while still active in WTB. Now that I am retired with 100% disability compensation. What are the steps necessary to complete application? I have filled out DD2860 for each condition and have my VA letter indicating service related disabilities. What else do I need?

Hello,

Recommend reading the material at A Supplement to CRSC Information <—-LINK

Links to the CRSC web pages for each service are included at the bottom of the referenced material.

Ron

SC alone is insufficient to receive CRSC. CRSC requires special circumstances beyond SC. CRSC is one of the most misunderstood benefits.

SC alone is insufficient to receive CRSC. CRSC requires special circumstances beyond SC. CRSC is one of the most misunderstood benefits.
It seems almost subject how the instruction could be interpreted. They only really explain what constitutes “armed conflict” but don’t go into much detail about instrument of war, extreme hazardous duty, or war simulation.

It seems almost subject how the instruction could be interpreted. They only really explain what constitutes “armed conflict” but don’t go into much detail about instrument of war, extreme hazardous duty, or war simulation.
You might have seen a few of the examples at the link I provided earlier. My recommendation has always been that if one feels they qualify, they should submit an application. The worst that can happen is a denial.

Good luck,
Ron

You might have seen a few of the examples at the link I provided earlier. My recommendation has always been that if one feels they qualify, they should submit an application. The worst that can happen is a denial.

Good luck,
Ron
Yes you’ve been very helpful. You recommended that I apply last time we talked a few months ago.

@Makarov

I posted the following two years ago:

[start]I read the following some time ago; it was written by a former member of an appeals board:

"The closest call was one where a veteran was claiming CRSC for his leg. He had broken his leg while retreating from overwhelming forces during the battle of Chosen Reservoir. The rationale was enemy action did not cause him to fall down the hill, which caused his broken leg. He fell down the hill because he was walking backwards returning fire again North Korean soldiers. My primary focus on the case was the fact that he wouldn't have been walking backwards if it hadn't been for enemy action. I was overruled. The board wanted a cause and effect for the CRSC injury. "

That anecdote is partially the reason I rarely predict what will be approved as CRSC. (Agent Orange case are an exception.)

The applicant was injured during one of the most famous battles in American history, Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.
There are cases where an individual is approved for CRSC for injuries sustained during an FTX and this appeal was denied for injuries that occurred during the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir . Hard to understand that one. JMO

[end]

Ron

@Makarov

I posted the following two years ago:

[start]I read the following some time ago; it was written by a former member of an appeals board:

"The closest call was one where a veteran was claiming CRSC for his leg. He had broken his leg while retreating from overwhelming forces during the battle of Chosen Reservoir. The rationale was enemy action did not cause him to fall down the hill, which caused his broken leg. He fell down the hill because he was walking backwards returning fire again North Korean soldiers. My primary focus on the case was the fact that he wouldn't have been walking backwards if it hadn't been for enemy action. I was overruled. The board wanted a cause and effect for the CRSC injury. "

That anecdote is partially the reason I rarely predict what will be approved as CRSC. (Agent Orange case are an exception.)

The applicant was injured during one of the most famous battles in American history, Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.
There are cases where an individual is approved for CRSC for injuries sustained during an FTX and this appeal was denied for injuries that occurred during the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir . Hard to understand that one. JMO

[end]

Ron
That’s scary that they have the authority to look at someone who was shooting at enemies and being shot at in a famous battle and say “yea that’s definitely not an armed conflict”.

That’s scary that they have the authority to look at someone who was shooting at enemies and being shot at in a famous battle and say “yea that’s definitely not an armed conflict”.
I agree, but I have not read of another CRSC travesty that comes close to this one when considering an obvious inability to make appropriate decisions.

Just my opinion of course...

Ron