Medically seperated to medically retired

Branden08

Registered Member
I have been medically separated with VA disability rating at 90% and dod at 20%. I am currently in the process to of going for Individual Unemployability and adding another condition to my combined ratings. My question is because everything is getting reevaluated if I get a combined rating of 100% can I get medically retired even though I was medically separated? I'm still new to this whole process only be on VA Compensation for about an 1 year. I know I could of appealed but I'm trying to see even with 100% if they can still keep me medically separated because I need the benefits of medically retirement for my family. Can someone inquire and explain this to me.

Schnoodle

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Separation and retirement are set from the DOD not the VA. The 20% that you were given depicts that. VA has nothing to do with your retirement.

Branden08

Registered Member
So there is no possible way of getting medically retired. What about if I get increased to 100% will they back pay me from the date I started receiving compensation?

Schnoodle

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So there is no possible way of getting medically retired. What about if I get increased to 100% will they back pay me from the date I started receiving compensation?
No because your just increasing your VA rating not your DOD rating. There's no back pay either from the VA, because it happens when it clears. I'm sorry that you were separated but this is the reason why people are given the option to Appeal the rating. It can be a confusing process. Had a close friend who took the separation because he saw $$ and not the medical benefits for his family. No going back unless you can get Legal help. Sorry bro.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, there definitely is a way to get retired. You would have to prevail in your appeal, but, I deal with this all of the time and have hundreds of cases over the past dozen years where this has been accomplished.

Your routes for appeal would be through your services Board for Correction of Military Records or by filing suit in Federal Court.

Schnoodle

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, there definitely is a way to get retired. You would have to prevail in your appeal, but, I deal with this all of the time and have hundreds of cases over the past dozen years where this has been accomplished.

Your routes for appeal would be through your services Board for Correction of Military Records or by filing suit in Federal Court.
I apologize for the wrong info. The boss has spoken. I wish you luck in what you are trying to accomplish.

fdhall

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in a similar situation. @Jason Perry I sent you a message to your business email in hopes of setting up a consultation.

@Branden08 I hope everything has worked out for you and would love to hear about how you went about changing your separation.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in a similar situation. @Jason Perry I sent you a message to your business email in hopes of setting up a consultation.

@Branden08 I hope everything has worked out for you and would love to hear about how you went about changing your separation.
Just info:

Brandon08 was last seen on this site Jun 17, 2017.

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">