Mental Health DBQ Results

SgtRockyBoulder

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello All,

I'm active duty Air Force and have served over 21 years. I'm currently in IDES due to mental health. I had a suicide attempt in Feb 2021 and was in a psych ward. I did a partial hospitalization as well. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder Recurrent Severe with Anxious Distress and Insomnia.

I still have suicidal ideations on a daily basis since my suicide attempt. I also totally isolate myself from family, and I haven't been working at all for the past 4 months. It is mandatory for me to see a therapist every week and a psychiatrist every couple weeks. My Mental Health C&P exam last month was supposed to be video Telehealth. However, the examiner claimed that he couldn't connect and contacted me via phone call instead. The exam only lasted 20 minutes, and the examiner didn't really ask me that many questions about my symptoms. He seemed preoccupied.

I told the examiner everything I've mentioned in the previous paragraphs about how my mental health has affected me occupationally and socially. I asked the examiner if he read my record, and he said that he read some of it. I feel like I received a piss poor exam. He wrote that the insomnia and the major depression recurrence severe was confirmed. However, I feel like most of the symptoms that were checked off are not commensurate with my current condition.

From my interpretation of the DBQ, it looks like I would get a 50% rating. However, most of my symptoms should be in the 70% category.
4 symptoms in the 30% category are checked off. 3 symptoms in the 50% category are checked off. Lastly, only 2 symptoms in the 70% category are checked off.

In the occupational and social impairment section, "Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity" is checked off (50% category).

Should I file a complaint with QTC and request another exam? Or should I wait until I get my proposed ratings and file an appeal?

I would wait until you get your proposed rating, there may be other things you would like re-evaluate ... I went for gad... VA said it was for sure PTSD which i kinda figured...

When the PEBLO calls you in to give your DoD/VA ratings, if MH is found unfitting, request a VARR.

When the PEBLO calls you in to give your DoD/VA ratings, if MH is found unfitting, request a VARR.
I will definitely be found unfitting for MH. Is the VARR paperwork something that I complete myself? My Military Service Coordinator (MSC) has been horrible and not very helpful at all.

I would get ahold of the soldier council to guide you on that. They have a lot of good insight. I just got off the phone with mine after about an hour conversation and gave me some good insight. You should have the number in one of the blocks of your DA Form 3947. If your army that is. or whatever form your PEBLO sent you for signing your NARSUM. I have talked to my MSC once. He hasn't reached out since.

I would get ahold of the soldier council to guide you on that. They have a lot of good insight. I just got off the phone with mine after about an hour conversation and gave me some good insight. You should have the number in one of the blocks of your DA Form 3947. If your army that is. or whatever form your PEBLO sent you for signing your NARSUM. I have talked to my MSC once. He hasn't reached out since.
I'm active duty Air Force. When I first met my PEBLO a few months ago, they gave me contact info for the Air Force Office of Disability Counsel (ODC). Not sure if they help with VARRs. I guess I'll have to reach out to them to find out. I'm just trying to prepare ahead of time because I have a feeling that I'm not going to get a rating that I should for some of my issues.

my VA rep told me the exam was only 1 part. He said the findings are apart of a proponderance of evidence not just the exam. I dealt with the same thing with my back. See what they rate you and then you can appeal later.

my VA rep told me the exam was only 1 part. He said the findings are apart of a proponderance of evidence not just the exam. I dealt with the same thing with my back. See what they rate you and then you can appeal later.
I hope so. I have a condition where I take suppressive therapy medication daily for the past 8 years. This is all throughout my medical record and on my DBQ. However, there is a section on my DBQ that says "Total duration of medication use in past 12 months". The examiner checked off "less than 6 weeks" medication use in that section. They should have checked off "Constant/near-constant" for medication use since I take it daily.

Your request a VARR with your PEBLO, but soldiers' counsel can assist you.

A VARR for an unfitting condition will be granted on request.

Hello All,

I'm active duty Air Force and have served over 21 years. I'm currently in IDES due to mental health. I had a suicide attempt in Feb 2021 and was in a psych ward. I did a partial hospitalization as well. I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder Recurrent Severe with Anxious Distress and Insomnia.

I still have suicidal ideations on a daily basis since my suicide attempt. I also totally isolate myself from family, and I haven't been working at all for the past 4 months. It is mandatory for me to see a therapist every week and a psychiatrist every couple weeks. My Mental Health C&P exam last month was supposed to be video Telehealth. However, the examiner claimed that he couldn't connect and contacted me via phone call instead. The exam only lasted 20 minutes, and the examiner didn't really ask me that many questions about my symptoms. He seemed preoccupied.

I told the examiner everything I've mentioned in the previous paragraphs about how my mental health has affected me occupationally and socially. I asked the examiner if he read my record, and he said that he read some of it. I feel like I received a piss poor exam. He wrote that the insomnia and the major depression recurrence severe was confirmed. However, I feel like most of the symptoms that were checked off are not commensurate with my current condition.

From my interpretation of the DBQ, it looks like I would get a 50% rating. However, most of my symptoms should be in the 70% category.
4 symptoms in the 30% category are checked off. 3 symptoms in the 50% category are checked off. Lastly, only 2 symptoms in the 70% category are checked off.

In the occupational and social impairment section, "Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity" is checked off (50% category).

Should I file a complaint with QTC and request another exam? Or should I wait until I get my proposed ratings and file an appeal?
I watched read somewhere or watched a video with a lawyer explaining a discharge for PTSD if it is service-related. It said that regardless there is an automatic 50% rating assigned for DOD.

I watched read somewhere or watched a video with a lawyer explaining a discharge for PTSD if it is service-related. It said that regardless there is an automatic 50% rating assigned for DOD.
You're probably referring to the following:

38 CFR § 4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran’s release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran’s discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

You're probably referring to the following:

38 CFR § 4.129 Mental disorders due to traumatic stress.

When a mental disorder that develops in service as a result of a highly stressful event is severe enough to bring about the veteran’s release from active military service, the rating agency shall assign an evaluation of not less than 50 percent and schedule an examination within the six month period following the veteran’s discharge to determine whether a change in evaluation is warranted. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for getting this to me. It has helped tremendously! I was worried about the DOD rating and the health care for my family. Do you know if this applies to DOD ratings or just VA

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for getting this to me. It has helped tremendously! I was worried about the DOD rating and the health care for my family. Do you know if this applies to DOD ratings or just VA
No problem. When the IPEB determines a service member is unfit, they request ratings from the VA. So I think it does apply, but I'm not 100% certain. I believe it comes down to how your condition is affecting you from an "occupational and social" standpoint, and how well documented your condition is.

No problem. When the IPEB determines a service member is unfit, they request ratings from the VA. So I think it does apply, but I'm not 100% certain. I believe it comes down to how your condition is affecting you from an "occupational and social" standpoint, and how well documented your condition is.
I haven't been to work for months, and I'm on the verge of a divorce, and my six years old noticed a change in me with anger. It's stressing me out and giving bad anxiety realizing that I can't do 20 because the Marine corps is the most straightforward job there is, and no matter what, I get paid. I'm just trying to take it a day today and get all my conditions looked at. I honestly appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I haven't been to work for months, and I'm on the verge of a divorce, and my six years old noticed a change in me with anger. It's stressing me out and giving bad anxiety realizing that I can't do 20 because the Marine corps is the most straightforward job there is, and no matter what, I get paid. I'm just trying to take it a day today and get all my conditions looked at. I honestly appreciate you taking the time to reply.
I know the feeling. I haven't been working for the past 5 months due to my mental health. My feelings fluctuate between angry, sad, or apathetic. It has negatively impacted my relationship with my wife and kids in terms of isolating myself most of the time. I suffered in silence for a number of years until I finally broke down. I'm learning how to be totally transparent. I would just encourage you to continue to be seen for all your conditions, and be transparent so everything can be documented in your military medical records.

I know the feeling. I haven't been working for the past 5 months due to my mental health. My feelings fluctuate between angry, sad, or apathetic. It has negatively impacted my relationship with my wife and kids in terms of isolating myself most of the time. I suffered in silence for a number of years until I finally broke down. I'm learning how to be totally transparent. I would just encourage you to continue to be seen for all your conditions, and be transparent so everything can be documented in your military medical records.
I had a coming to Jesus moment with my PCM and finally broke down. She said I need to get help, and she is sorry for everything. Treatments aren't really working, but I am hoping I am working toward something. I hope you get better! And thank you for all you do!

I had a coming to Jesus moment with my PCM and finally broke down. She said I need to get help, and she is sorry for everything. Treatments aren't really working, but I am hoping I am working toward something. I hope you get better! And thank you for all you do!
Similar situation for me. I actually first broke down talking to a Chaplain. Then it became easier being transparent with my PCM, various therapists, and psychiatrists. I feel like once I am medically retired from the Air Force then I'll start to get better. I'll never be back to normal, but I'll get better. I'm starting to realize that when it comes to life it doesn't rain forever. Eventually the rain stops and the sun will shine. Hope you get better as well!

Is all of your 21 years active duty time? This is relevant for CRDP purposes.

if you have lots of 70% criteria checked off on the DBQ, then go in your doctors notes and also get VA “buddy statements” (there is actual a VA form for this). Take this info and use it for a VARR, so that when you get to that point of the process, it will be an easy approval.

as for the first question I asked about the 21 years, do the math of a longevity retirement at 52.5% DOD for your 21 years, plus your VA overall rating combined under CRDP rules.

you’ll likely make more this way than of you say got the 70% DOD.

ask RonG for assistance with retirement calculations if needed.