Migraine Log question

KeithB03

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey what's going on everyone, so I'm going through a med board and I have migraines as one of my claimed conditions.

I haven't received my DA199 yet but I was told by the VA docs during the C&P exams I should create a "migraine log".. but he didn't give me an example so all I have been doing was writing down dates/times and if I had to leave work or not (I stare at computers all day) and when a migraine hits its bad.

I guess my question is, as for my log will that be enough. I started it in March. I also keep copies of my qtrs slip from my pcm. Any in put is appreciated or if anyone has a log they've used would be cool.

I created my own as well. I included
  • Date
  • On a pain scale how bad the are
  • Where the most pain is coming from
  • What medicine I had taken that day (I take daily medicine for them) and how much
  • What medicine did I take to try to abort the migraine (i.e maxalt) /did it work the first time/ and how many I had to take until it ended up going away
  • How long did the migraine end up lasting overall
  • What effect it had on my daily routine (i.e did I leave work? Did I have to go lay down? Stop what I was doing? Stuff like that)
I just created a chart on excel and keep it saved to my computer. And once a month I’ll print it out and put it into my binder with all my medical documents related to my migraines. Hope this helps out a little, I know everyone has there own log and some even use apps on their phones. To each their own just find what works for you and stick to it!

Thanks, I read yur post was like dam why didn't I ever think to do it on excel, I had a note book I just write it all into. I'm probably going to create an excel and just input my notes and print it monthly like you did

Smiller has some really good advice. I've gone through the QTC exams twice. From that I have learned you have to be very specific with your answers. On questions that are verbal only you might end up forgetting to say something important. So writing this stuff down will definitely negate that. To receive compensation for migraines they must be prostrating. If you can muscle through the migraine and continue working then the VA won't give you anything for them. I received 50% for mine, I get migraines 3-4 times a week.

I created my own as well. I included
  • Date
  • On a pain scale how bad the are
  • Where the most pain is coming from
  • What medicine I had taken that day (I take daily medicine for them) and how much
  • What medicine did I take to try to abort the migraine (i.e maxalt) /did it work the first time/ and how many I had to take until it ended up going away
  • How long did the migraine end up lasting overall
  • What effect it had on my daily routine (i.e did I leave work? Did I have to go lay down? Stop what I was doing? Stuff like that)
I just created a chart on excel and keep it saved to my computer. And once a month I’ll print it out and put it into my binder with all my medical documents related to my migraines. Hope this helps out a little, I know everyone has there own log and some even use apps on their phones. To each their own just find what works for you and stick to it!

This is really helpful. I have been journaling my migraines for the past couple months from new migraine meds. I have been on a series of medication for the oat 15years. The neurologist is starting me on Botox next week.

I received 50% for mine, I get migraines 3-4 times a week.
Man that sucks. I'd go crazy.

I only get them once a month usually that last 2-3 days with the aura putting me down for at least 6 hours.

There are a lot of apps to keep track. I use an app called migraine diary and it is very useful. It allows you to input duration, medications taken, level of severity, symptoms...I use it and showed it to my neurologist to paint a picture of how frequent they occur. It also creates a spreadsheet in pdf document for you.

There are a lot of apps to keep track. I use an app called migraine diary and it is very useful. It allows you to input duration, medications taken, level of severity, symptoms...I use it and showed it to my neurologist to paint a picture of how frequent they occur. It also creates a spreadsheet in pdf document for you.