Migraine MEB question

kande137

Registered Member
Hey everyone! I've been reading as much as I can around here and really appreciate the information.

My story is that I am a flyer and am currently not on flying status for migraines. I was prescribed Imitrex and eventually Propranolol by the flight doc, neither worked (Imitrex caused horrible side effects and made everything worse). I was referred off base to a neurologist who, after an MRI and some other tests, officially diagnosed me. They prescribed me Fioricet and Diclofenac and, again, nothing helped. They said whenever I have a severe attack I can come in for an injection of Phenergan and Toradol, which will basically knock me out solid for the day and help the nausea. I've used the option several times, although it's obviously not a long-term solution. I followed up with the flight doc (before the MRI results were available and at his request). He decided to add Neurontin to my list of medications, and so far no results from that either (other than annoying drowsiness/dizziness). The attacks I get are completely debilitating and cause me to either a) miss work altogether or b) leave work. They occur 2-3 times per week on average, although some weeks are worse than others. My supervisor has been incredibly understanding and helpful, although I hate to not be able to contribute anything at work half the time. I've specified everything about the attacks and symptoms to both flight medicine and the neurologist. I have another follow-up with the neurologist in a couple of weeks because appointments with them are insanely hard to come by and they can't see me any sooner to discuss our options going forward. I've also kept a log going back a few months going into detail about everything that goes on such as severity, duration, if i missed work/school, etc.

After going through this process (appointments, missing work, suffering on my couch, etc) for several months now, researching this stuff has scared me that it may result in an MEB. My question is how long do they normally throw a bunch of prescriptions at me with no results until that becomes a serious consideration? I understand that if that does happen, it takes a long while but I would value every minute I could get to prepare for that sort of situation.

Thanks for your help!

There's no hard and fast rule on how long, but generally a year.

On the subject of migraines it is vitally important that you track every single missed day of work. The difference between a boardable migraine condition and an non boardable is missed days of work.

Thanks for the response. I've been pretty meticulous with the journal-keeping so hopefully that helps me out.

Something else to know is if the doctor ends up prescribing Botox as a treatment (which is the last result) it could trigger an MEB because of the cost of the treatment. Not saying that is right, but it is a possibility. It has happened to others.

I commend you on your journal. Keep that up! It could be very handy.

I suggest you go to the resource section on this website and look under the AF section for the Medical Standards Directory. You might want to be familiar with the section on migraines through and through.

Also look at the ratings language for migraines:
upload_2017-6-19_19-42-18.png

Notice the language used in the ratings. As you write your journal you may want to use their language.

I suspect if you go DNIF 6 months you will become an agenda item at the DAWG.