Migraine meds

AFLady4

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have been suffering from migraines for a few years now. Lately, they have become more frequent. They've always been prostrating to the point I've asked the ER doc to knock me out...of course, they wouldn't.

I don't like any of the meds they put me on. They either make me a zombie and make it difficult to work, or they interrupt my sleep which in turn makes it hard for me to do my job. If I refuse to go on the next med they try will that affect my med board? I'm being med boarded for a different condition, but I am making sure my migraines are included b/c they occur 2-3x/month and I miss work.

Have you talked to your PCM about your concerns about side effects? What IF the next med did not make you make you feel like a zombie or disrupt your sleep?

Also have you been seeing the Neurologist, if you have then please ask about Botox injections. That is the only thing which worked on me. It could be something for you to look into. I don't take any other meds. When I feel like I am about to have headaches, I just put ice on my head, which I do on a daily basis. My trigger is concentration and if I go over 30 minutes I have to put ice.

Also have you been seeing the Neurologist, if you have then please ask about Botox injections. That is the only thing which worked on me. It could be something for you to look into. I don't take any other meds. When I feel like I am about to have headaches, I just put ice on my head, which I do on a daily basis. My trigger is concentration and if I go over 30 minutes I have to put ice.

I am seeing a neurologist, and he did say the next med is more tranquilizing than the ones I have taken. As for the botox, I believe I have to try all of the meds first before they will consider botox. Question for you, I see you got a 60% DoD rating...I hope you don't mind, but was it just for your migraines?

I won't say mine was migraines. I was diagnosed with NDPH, and like I said I get headaches every day, before Botox it was 24/7. And every so often I had to take a break and lie down or be in a dark room to try to feel better.
I got 50% for the headaches (that is the max you can get for it). I am sure you have already looked on how headaches are rated, on how completely prostrating they are and the duration of it.
I was in MEB for my knee but my neuro had already talked about MEB for headaches by then.
I was treated for only 3 months before I started on Botox, I am thankful I had an extremely good Neuro.

I won't say mine was migraines. I was diagnosed with NDPH, and like I said I get headaches every day, before Botox it was 24/7. And every so often I had to take a break and lie down or be in a dark room to try to feel better.
I got 50% for the headaches (that is the max you can get for it). I am sure you have already looked on how headaches are rated, on how completely prostrating they are and the duration of it.
I was in MEB for my knee but my neuro had already talked about MEB for headaches by then.
I was treated for only 3 months before I started on Botox, I am thankful I had an extremely good Neuro.

Sounds very similar to my situation. I'm being looked at for a MEB for my knee, but my neuro mentioned it, too.

So just got back from Neuro regarding my migraines. I was taking zomig having 2 to 3 migraines a week and other days with headache.

Today he prescribed botox. Hope it helps.

I get Botox every 3 months and Optical nerve blocks every 3 months also. They help with the pain and the ability to control my day. The migraines still come on, but those two block out the nasty pain portion of it by numbing the areas. I say go for it if it can help you.

Once you are out I would suggest looking into other medications and treatment. I have had migraines from tinnitus. Those suck. Amitriptyline has helped with mine but I have had a more favorable response to CBD oil. CBD oil, if medicinal use is legal in your state, has been useful without the cognitive impairment of THC. Another option is to look into naltrexone therapy at low doses. Several doctors have been using it off label as a pain management medication for various conditions.

So has anyone had experience how the DOD/AF and the VA rate the use of Botox for migraine?

Use of Botox doesn't impact ratings in any way. Its the severity and how often you get those determines that.
I forgot the exact wording the VA uses but basically it says how often do you get headaches in a week/month and are you able to function when you get those or are you completely useless (meaning have to lie down or sleep or so on till the headaches passes away).
And it was extremely helpful for me to make it as unfitting as the notes of Neurologist completely reflected what I was going through.