Misdiagnosis - still being sent for mental health eval

Dadbod

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello Folks
Looking for some feedback. I was recently flagged during a PHA for being placed on an anti convulsion drug. Because I dont have a history of seizures, they assumed it was for treatment of a more serious mood disorder. My reserve unit nurse that did the PHA put me on base restriction until I had my civilian medical records sent to them. Is that even a legal requirement of mine? To be told to turn over civilian mental health eval records?
Any way the Dr. sent them documentation stating he had misdiagnosed me as bipolar, and does not believe that diagnosis was correct. And therefore took me off the medication. Regardless of what I supplied my unit with - they are still sending me for a MH evaluation. Which I understand is to determine if I am fit for duty or not. I believe I will be. I do have PTSD, but nothing that causes symptoms which prevent me from doing my job.

If I am found fit for duty - then what?

If I am found not fit for duty - then what?

I have seen a VA councilor for over a year now, and there was nothing in any VA record showing I would have any symptoms similar to the diagnosis of bipolar. I am not sure why that does not play a part in this process?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Talk to legal counsel provided by your service (free). Also research your services regulation/instructions of command directed mental health evaluations.

Dadbod

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Talk to legal counsel provided by your service (free). Also research your services regulation/instructions of command directed mental health evaluations.
Thanks Mike,
I will do that today, please send me any more info that I am privileged to.

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Dr. sent them documentation stating he had misdiagnosed me as bipolar, and does not believe that diagnosis was correct.
[/QUOTE]

Since the Dr sent over that paperwork that will come up in the MEB and that should be it. As long as the doctors feel your mental heath is good you have a good chance of being found fit. If your found fit you just get returned to duty. If they find you unfit you continue on with the MEB AND PEB. You will have lots of opportunities to appeal what ever decisions they make. I would just get all your paperwork together because once they make a decision you don't have very much time to rebut there decisions ( Normally 3 days)

Dadbod

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you, I am looking for some type of advocate that knows all the rules and process of this. Sometimes I feel I am being fooled by this MH people. They give me little feedback at times. Then they make you feel like you really are nuts by the way they talk to you. Its turned my life on its side because I have had 0 issues with MH other than a PTSD diagnosis recently from an event that happened in 93'. My civilian life has moved fluidly in terms of career, family, marriage, and self.

Dr. sent them documentation stating he had misdiagnosed me as bipolar, and does not believe that diagnosis was correct.
Since the Dr sent over that paperwork that will come up in the MEB and that should be it. As long as the doctors feel your mental heath is good you have a good chance of being found fit. If your found fit you just get returned to duty. If they find you unfit you continue on with the MEB AND PEB. You will have lots of opportunities to appeal what ever decisions they make. I would just get all your paperwork together because once they make a decision you don't have very much time to rebut there decisions ( Normally 3 days)
[/QUOTE]

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thanks Mike,
I will do that today, please send me any more info that I am privileged to.
Your welcome. Your regs on Command Directed Mental Health Evaluations are important. The services are limited in what they can do, by law, regarding MH evals. They brought these restrictions on themselves because of past abuses of the MH system.

Dadbod

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Your welcome. Your regs on Command Directed Mental Health Evaluations are important. The services are limited in what they can do, by law, regarding MH evals. They brought these restrictions on themselves because of past abuses of the MH system.
What do you call restrictions?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
If you are being restricted until you "volunteer" to undergo a MH evaluation. You should immediately contact legal.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You still didn't explain exactly why you were prescribe which Im assuming is Depakote? Doctors do not prescribe this lightly something lead up to this thats probably in your records have you reviewed them personally?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">