Moving Pay

BlackRepublic

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how the pay for returning to your home of record works if you are medically separating? Is it just like when you PCS...get some advance pay and submit your receipts and all of that after? I'm talking about a DITY move by the way.

I received 20% DoD and 80% VA, and I'm single with no dependents. Unfortunately, the travel office will not speak with me until I have orders, but I am trying to figure things out. Will the Navy pay to ship a vehicle (I have two...could probably tow one)?

Yes, they will pay you to your home of record. Two PCS moves ago, I bought an old uhaul van on Craigslist for the same price to rent one. The first move with it I broke even and it paid for itself, the next two moves, one PCS and my final retirement move, and I made money both times. Ironically, I moved all of my garage stuff and crappy furniture, and not a thing broken or scratched, and the expensive bedroom set I had the government move.... All scratched up like someone took a grinder to it! Now I'm waiting on the repair guy.. I'd have been better off just doing it myself! Oh well.

The number of cars the govt will ship is determined by the number of dependents traveling with you. I don't know the math off the top of my head but you can google JTFR (joint federal travel regulation) to find out.

Yes, they will pay you to your home of record. Two PCS moves ago, I bought an old uhaul van on Craigslist for the same price to rent one. The first move with it I broke even and it paid for itself, the next two moves, one PCS and my final retirement move, and I made money both times. Ironically, I moved all of my garage stuff and crappy furniture, and not a thing broken or scratched, and the expensive bedroom set I had the government move.... All scratched up like someone took a grinder to it! Now I'm waiting on the repair guy.. I'd have been better off just doing it myself! Oh well.

The number of cars the govt will ship is determined by the number of dependents traveling with you. I don't know the math off the top of my head but you can google JTFR (joint federal travel regulation) to find out.

I know they will pay for the move. ...I'm asking if you receive advance pay or not.....some people say they reimburse you instead of handling it like a PCS move. I have no dependents, so that means they won't ship a vehicle then. The travel is from California to DC.

im almost in the same boat but I am divorced now but with the same weight I shipped. ugh.

I know the Army will allow us to get the advanced pay. Not sure about Navy policy on the matter though.

I received advance pay.

I know they will pay for the move. ...I'm asking if you receive advance pay or not.....some people say they reimburse you instead of handling it like a PCS move. I have no dependents, so that means they won't ship a vehicle then. The travel is from California to DC.
If you are still in a need - you should check garage shelving systems which will help you with moving and all you staff will move in the car without falling and it is for long distances. Last year I also came across something similar and I was prompted to buy this thing.

Hi Bob,

The most recent post in this thread before yours was three years ago.

Ron