My FBEB Experience thus far

MMN1AJC

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I posted a while back about appealing FIT findings for major depressive disorder. The appeal process was a bit lengthy and I had my case heard by the board, in person, on November 29, 2018.
The board members consisted of a Marine 0-6, a Navy 0-6 (both non-medical), and a Navy 0-6 doctor. The non-medical Navy 0-6 was one of the board members who originally found me fit. After the script was read I told my story with the help of my lawyer, including my hospitalization in August for suicidal attempt. The entire experience was very emotional. Once I finished talking with my lawyer the questioning began from the board. The Doctor started, asking me why I waited so long to go to therapy after my first friend committed suicide. After my explanation he stated that my medical record didn't indicate that I had initial spoken to my psychiatrist about my friends suicide. He then asked me what method my friends used to commit suicide. In tears I responded, "Gunshot wound" to both. The questioning turned to my ability to use TA to pursue a degree while in LIMDU status. I explained that taking a class or two was not very difficult, and as a Nuke it helped keep my mind occupied, as was recommended by my therapist. He patronized me for trying to better myself, and finished his questioning. The other Navy 0-6 was next. In a nutshell she explained to me that she found me fit initially, I had good evals, and despite having been hospitalized for suicidal intentions, that I could, and should, return to full duty as a nuclear machinist mate (mind you my NMA clearly states that I have not worked in rate in over a year, I have failed multiple PRTs due to weight gain, and that I can not return to nuclear field duty). The Marine 0-6 didn't add much, just stating that he believed this was a difficult case for the board to make a decision on.

Well, it's been nearly three weeks and I have not heard anything in terms of results. I'm not sure what that means or what to expect.

I just wanted to share my experience so that others could prepare themselves for the formal board.

Any updates how did it work out?

Any updates how did it work out?
I would like to know as well; however...

MMN1AJC
Registered Member
New Member · 30
Joined Sep 27, 2018
Last seen

Dec 20, 2018

—-
Ron

It will be 7 weeks this Thursday. Still no update from either my lawyer or the board.

Wow, that is an extraordinary long time to wait for a FPEB decision. Hope the best for you!

Interesting case for sure how much time in service?

I spoke with the PEBLO yesterday, my case has been at the VA for about a month. The FPEB overturned the IPEB decision to UNFIT. I am currently awaiting a rating from the VA and the results to be forwarded back to the PEBLO for me to sign.

Congrats glad you got what you wanted.

12Mustang05,

Congrats! What DOD retirement percentage did you receive? My case is similar. I attend an FPEB last week for an MDD condition. I was questioned for upwards of 3 hours. I expected a decision before leaving but nothing was given. My TDRL exam doctor recommended I be transferred to the PDRL at the 70% retirement level. While on the TDRL, I was at the 30% level but the IPEB said I was not compliant with my meds nor attending my appointments on a regular so they recommended I be lowered to 10% and given a severance. My attorney was able to quickly address those inaccurate claims by providing documentation from my doctor and med scripts. The hearing was a witch hunt. Again, I spent 3 hours answering silly questions they already had the answers to. Please share the retirement percentage they awarded you.

12Mustang05,

Congrats! What DOD retirement percentage did you receive? My case is similar. I attend an FPEB last week for an MDD condition. I was questioned for upwards of 3 hours. I expected a decision before leaving but nothing was given. My TDRL exam doctor recommended I be transferred to the PDRL at the 70% retirement level. While on the TDRL, I was at the 30% level but the IPEB said I was not compliant with my meds nor attending my appointments on a regular so they recommended I be lowered to 10% and given a severance. My attorney was able to quickly address those inaccurate claims by providing documentation from my doctor and med scripts. The hearing was a witch hunt. Again, I spent 3 hours answering silly questions they already had the answers to. Please share the retirement percentage they awarded you.
Stll waiting on DOD my case just went from VA to DOD on 25 Jun. . Ill update as soon as I receive my findings. Sorry the fboard was so grilling reason why I don't want to be place TDRL but these things are out of our control. Good Luck on being placed to PDRL

I spoke with the PEBLO yesterday, my case has been at the VA for about a month. The FPEB overturned the IPEB decision to UNFIT. I am currently awaiting a rating from the VA and the results to be forwarded back to the PEBLO for me to sign.
MMN1AJC have you received ratings yet? Any updates?