My MEB timeline

TAM2215

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Joining the "Hurry up and wait" club. Full MEB due to not meeting vision requirements for re-tainability. The Varicella Zostrov (Chicken Pox) virus reactivated in my right eye causing significant and permanent damage. Since the onset I have been unable to see the big E on a Snellen Vision Chart. (20/800).

Air Force AD, 8 years. Air Traffic Controller.

7 Feb- Commanders Impact Statement sent to PEBLO
13 Feb- IRILO sent to AFPC/DP2NP
23 Feb- Full MEB directed/PEBLO Brief
23 Mar- VA Ophthalmology C&P exam contracted with QTC. (No VA Ophthalmologists in Alaska)
6 Apr- Completed the remaining C&P Exams
17 Apr- PEBLO received C&P Report from Ophthalmology

Unfortunately the first C&P report has come back with disappointing results. The Dr. that did the report concluded that my vision in the right eye is 20/100 which is ridiculously wrong. I failed every test he gave me and he was even trying to get me to "guess" the letters on the Snellen Vision Chart. I told him "No, but I can recite the alphabet if you want?" My PEBLO has already talked to the VA and was told since we have ample medical documentation that all we have to do is get my military Flight Doctor to write up a narrative for my vision being 20/800 in the right eye. My Flight Doc is doing that now and is as irate as I am with the previous Doctors report. Hopefully this doesn't delay the process too much... If the report stands I'd only get 10% from DoD when it should be 30%.

23 Mar- VA Ophthalmology C&P exam contracted with QTC. (No VA Ophthalmologists in Alaska)
19 Apr- All reports received and PEBLO submitted package to IPEB.

My Flight Doc submitted his rebuttal narrative for the questionable Ophthalmology report and doesn't anticipate it having any bearing on my case. Crossing fingers... Time to sit and rate for ratings.

1 May- Ebenefits update: Preparing for decision.

Got this gut feeling they're going to short change me with 10% DoD, but we'll see... I'll fight it if so.

1 May- Ebenefits update: Pending decision approval.

4 May- Ratings received: 10% DoD/30% VA

Unfortunately my fears came true. They based my ratings off the bogus S&P exam by QTC. So now we have filed for a FPEB and continue to wait... This is the most frustrating thing I've ever had to deal with and I feel sorry for everyone that has gone through this process and those currently fighting.

I read your other thread regarding your specific situation, I'm sorry that you're going through such a difficult time. This process can be very frustrating, it can be difficult to just sit back and let people that may not have your best interests in mind handle your case. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend you try your best to get another opinion from a professional that can be used as evidence to support your appeal. Hopefully the results of a second exam could prove that the original exam didn't appropriately represent the severity of your condition. Good luck!

I read your other thread regarding your specific situation, I'm sorry that you're going through such a difficult time. This process can be very frustrating, it can be difficult to just sit back and let people that may not have your best interests in mind handle your case. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend you try your best to get another opinion from a professional that can be used as evidence to support your appeal. Hopefully the results of a second exam could prove that the original exam didn't appropriately represent the severity of your condition. Good luck!

Yeah that's the plan. I got a full eye exam scheduled this week that I'll present to the board. Hopefully does the trick.

17 May- OAC Attorney waived FPEB and submitted my package for VARR

Noticed a change in Ebenefits this morning, which is odd because I was told there was no way to track VARR progress and it wouldn't reflect changes on Ebenefits. It had been at "pending decision approval" since even before the VARR, but now it shows "preparation for decision". There's hope maybe? Has anyone seen additional updates on Ebenefits during a VARR?

Thanks for sharing your timeline, I started mine around the same time and still waiting for the C&P exams to be reviewed. Sucks waiting to hear what they come back with.

17 May- OAC Attorney waived FPEB and submitted my package for VARR
2 Jul- VARR results returned: 60% DoD/70% VA

I can't describe how happy I am for the VARR results... I want to thank everyone here that has helped me along the way and those that developed this website. Amazing tool for such a stressful and confusing process. One bit of advice I will tell everyone here is to do all of the research yourself. Luckily I used this site, a decent PEBLO, and a damn good attorney from OAC to dig for what I really thought I qualified for. I gathered more evidence than was probably required and highlighted any regulations supporting my claim so they couldn't possibly deny me. Again thank you all, and I hope you everyone gets the results they're hoping for.