My Navy Timeline for Fibro

Dani2920

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thought I would post my timeline, in the event it is helpful to anyone. I admit, these are estimates as I didn't keep a detailed record of dates.

20 Nov 18: Referred for PEB
Dec 18: Met PEBLO, intro meeting with DES counsel
Dec/Jan: VA appointments (through QTC); last appointment first week of January
End of Jan: Exam reports finished and sent back to PEBLO
Mid-Feb: Packet complete (took psych 2+ weeks to writeup NARSUM)
20 Feb 19: Packet sent to IPEB
5 Mar 19: Board found Unfit, sent to VA
2 Apr 19: Ebenefits changed to Pending Decision Approval

I will keep you all updated going forward...

If you could somewhat update us on why you think your fibro lead to the unfit finding? We have tons of members that got fit findings for fibro (usually all Navy) no matter what the record stated I'm assuming the performance evals and the commander statement has to be poor is this correct?

If you could somewhat update us on why you think your fibro lead to the unfit finding? We have tons of members that got fit findings for fibro (usually all Navy) no matter what the record stated I'm assuming the performance evals and the commander statement has to be poor is this correct?
Good Morning,

I Also have Fibro and was found unfit and have just about the same timeline as Dani2920, from what I've heard the Navy is finicky with their process. I do know that the Commanders statement is heavily weighed when it comes to the board as well as if the person who has Fibro responds to treatment and medication. Both of those can cause a board to find a member fit. In my case, my statement said that I could not do my job, I was never at work etc.. (made me seem like a bad sailor which i'm not but everything was true that was written in the statement, this is basically to determine if you are an asset to the fleet. In short, if you are a great Sailor and can do your work despite your condition you can stay in) I hope this helps some.

No problem. In my experience, as far as the Navy is concerned, the commander's statement is the largest (and perhaps determining) factor. The board is less interested in the pain you are in, your physical state, etc., than they are interested in the effect this has on the mission. For me, I had previous stellar evals. However, in my statement I was able to explain this and how my health has deteriorated since then. Also, my commander's statement was extremely well written. He focused on the effect my medical condition is having on his command. Basically, I am taking a billet that is critically needed but am not able to perform the duties of the position and am frequently absent for medical. Because of this, less qualified Sailors have had to step into the position and require frequent supervision. He requested I be found unfit, so that an able-bodied Officer could take my place. I think this explanation was critical.

Also, in my circumstance, I have been battling this for nearly two years. I tried any and all treatments available and fought to stay in until I was physically unable. I think the board may have been able to see there really were no other options for me and getting out was best for everyone. It was not like I was diagnosed one month and sent to the board the next.

Hope this helps!

Update: VA.gov shows claim closed and decision letter sent. Ebenefits still showing Pending Decision Approval. Called VA, they stated a decision has been made and mailed to me today (could not/would not provide info over phone.) The gentleman explained that Ebenefits can often have some lag time.

Update: VA.gov shows claim closed and decision letter sent. Ebenefits still showing Pending Decision Approval. Called VA, they stated a decision has been made and mailed to me today (could not/would not provide info over phone.) The gentleman explained that Ebenefits can often have some lag time.
You have to check on your disability tab or under VA.gov click on benefit letters generate benefit letter it should show something there.

My Ebenefits has been saying that my decision letter has been sent for almost a month now. I was told that I would not get it but that it was sent to the PEB? Because the Navy still has to decide my DoD rating based on my VA rating. I have also tried to generate a benefit letter and have had no luck. I'm not sure what is going on. The VA closed out my claim within a week of getting my unfit decision and i've been waiting on the Navy side for almost a month now.

My Ebenefits has been saying that my decision letter has been sent for almost a month now. I was told that I would not get it but that it was sent to the PEB? Because the Navy still has to decide my DoD rating based on my VA rating. I have also tried to generate a benefit letter and have had no luck. I'm not sure what is going on. The VA closed out my claim within a week of getting my unfit decision and i've been waiting on the Navy side for almost a month now.
I'm still waiting on the Navy as well. Apparently they received my package from the VA on 4 April. Still nothing...

Update: My package is in the QA stage with the Navy, AKA decisions made just getting final approval. "Should" be back any day...

Congrats , how did you find out were it was after the va ?

I called everyone I could (PEBLO, IDES Counsel, etc.), and eventually was told where it was. It's been with the Navy 3.5 weeks, which I think is much longer than average. I'm not sure what is causing the delay for everyone, other branches seem to get the branch approval within a few days to a week.

Question for you all: How does it work if you are placed on the TDRL? Do you still get a DD214 and/or Retiree ID Card. I'm looking at future career/education options and am unsure at what my status and documentation will be if I am TDRL. I'm 90% sure if I get retirement it will be TDRL, as I have conditions they would consider unstable (seems to be the default with the Navy.)

Question for you all: How does it work if you are placed on the TDRL? Do you still get a DD214 and/or Retiree ID Card. I'm looking at future career/education options and am unsure at what my status and documentation will be if I am TDRL. I'm 90% sure if I get retirement it will be TDRL, as I have conditions they would consider unstable (seems to be the default with the Navy.)

Yes, you get an ID Card and a DD214 if you get better in any way and that pretty much is just having a job and a stable home expect a reduction at your re-eval.

Yes, you get an ID Card and a DD214 if you get better in any way and that pretty much is just having a job and a stable home expect a reduction at your re-eval.
Thank you for the info. Hasn't improved in the past two years, dont see it happening in the next two.

I called everyone I could (PEBLO, IDES Counsel, etc.), and eventually was told where it was. It's been with the Navy 3.5 weeks, which I think is much longer than average. I'm not sure what is causing the delay for everyone, other branches seem to get the branch approval within a few days to a week.

Dani, the answer is straightforward- several board members are retiring within the next 60 days and are going on terminal leave. Thus, they are a little short-staffed. It is not a portent of negative news per se. They are simply running a little behind right now.

Dani, the answer is straightforward- several board members are retiring within the next 60 days and are going on terminal leave. Thus, they are a little short-staffed. It is not a portent of negative news per se. They are simply running a little behind right now.
Yeh definitely didnt take it as a reflection of my case, just of the Navy's process in general...

Update:
29 Apr 19: Received ratings from DOD/VA, the wait is finally over!

Update:
29 Apr 19: Received ratings from DOD/VA, the wait is finally over!

Have you heard any update on when orders or message traffic should populate after receiving your ratings? My command seems to have conflicting views on this because some of the sailors got their ratings and message traffic showed up the next week and others took 3-4 months to receive any formal retirement date.

My PEBLO told me today it takes a few weeks on average, but for Officers its usually on the longer end. She said with signing for ratings by the end of this month (by tomorrow), the retirement date for my orders should be the end of July.

My PEBLO told me today it takes a few weeks on average, but for Officers its usually on the longer end. She said with signing for ratings by the end of this month (by tomorrow), the retirement date for my orders should be the end of July.
What were your ratings?