Naive Question about CRSC from Newcomer

TyBo

Registered Member
Greetings All. I'm new to this board so please forgive if I'm posting to the wrong place. I'm considering applying for CRSC but I confess when I see some of the very strong cases here that have been denied, it makes me somewhat hesitant to even bother. As background, I'm 100% P&T for PTSD from the VA from Desert Storm and Somalia. Although all stressors were from combat units in combat positions, the VA coded the disability as 'not related to combat'. It's possible they did that as I did not file until 21 years after the war. I just don't know. Regardless, it's a 100% P&T rating tied to stressors from two separate combat actions.
I guess I'll know a little more when I get the code sheet, but if I file for CRSC now (almost 30 years after Desert Storm), I don't have nearly the records that many of you do. I can conclusively prove with medical and military records that I have severe PTSD and that I was an Armor Officer in an Armor Battalion deployed for combat in Operation Desert Storm and later a Special Operations Officer in a Special Operations Task Force deployed for contingency operations in Mogadishu, Somalia. Further that the VA accepted that my PTSD was caused by service in those two operations (although for some reason did not code it 'related to combat).
Is this enough to reasonably expect favorable consideration from the Army for CRSC or am I likely wasting my time? Thanks guys.

Welcome aboard. No need to worry about posting in the wrong place, make your best guess and press on.

I say file and let your service work through the motions. Using a veteran service officer may help you get your claim organized in a way that increases the possibility of being approved. Your local DAV unit or county probably has a veteran service officer.

I haven't seen too much on this topic. I got a divorce about the same time I retired from AD. No SBP. That was all around 16 years ago. If I were to be successful with a CRSC application, is there any chance, my ex-wife's portion of my military retirement pay would get caught up in the calculations or would that all be separate?

TyBo

Did you receive a regular retirement (i.e., 20 years AD)?

If so, and you've had a 50% or more VA rating, then you have received CRDP which is shown only on page two of the DFAS RAS, but included in the gross retired pay on page one.
CRDP is retired pay. If your former spouse receives part of your retired pay, the portion that is CRDP is included in determining the amount.

CRSC is compensation, not retired pay, and it replaces reduced retired pay that is associated and approved with combat related disabilities. CRSC is not divisible with a former spouse.
This might seem as if a veteran drawing CRSC has no responsibility toward a former spouse. However, the former spouse and her attorney have other avenues of pursuing payments that were expected by the former spouse.

Related info:

Understanding the VA Waiver/Reduction LINK <---

Collection of CRSC Info LINK <---

Comparison CRSC & CRDP LINK <---

Ron

Yes, regular retirement - 23 years.

Yes, 100% VA rating.

So if I follow what you're saying (something I'm not batting .1000 at on these board), as CRSC kicks in, retired pay is reduced, and I presume, my ex-wife's portion of my retired pay would be reduced. Is that essentially correct?

Yes, regular retirement - 23 years.

Yes, 100% VA rating.

So if I follow what you're saying (something I'm not batting .1000 at on these board), as CRSC kicks in, retired pay is reduced, and I presume, my ex-wife's portion of my retired pay would be reduced. Is that essentially correct?
Retired pay is reduced via waiver. LINK ---> waiver
Your spouse receives zero; however, a court can order payments from other sources since CRSC is a unilateral decision. I am not an attorney.

For CRSC.

--Your gross retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation.
--CRSC will replace all or part of that reduction. The CRSC percentage approved by your service will correlate with a percentage and amount in the VA compensation tables.
Personnel who receive CRSC do not always receive CRSC at a rate that replaces all the waived/reduced retired pay. Regular retirees in that scenario often choose to continue with CRDP which restores all of the retired pay associated with the VA offset.

CRSC Example using random numbers:
Retired pay, gross= 3000
VA comp @ 100%= 3500
Reduction: 3000-3500 = zero retired pay remaining
CRSC @ 60% = 1400

You would receive each month:
DFAS 1400
VA 3500
TOTAL: 4900

CRDP example using random numbers:
The same regular retiree would receive
DFAS 3000 retired pay and CRDP
VA 3500
TOTAL: 6500

Most regular retirees will choose CRDP unless the approved CRSC percentage (amount) is equal to or greater than that amount to be waived/reduced.

Ron

Here is an example of how your retired pay would have been impacted before the advent of CRDP.

Regular Retirement:

Retired pay, gross= 3000
VA comp @ 100%= 3500
Reduction: 3000-3500 = zero retired pay remaining

You would receive each month:
DFAS = zero
VA = 3500
TOTAL= 3500

Regular retirement: I have experienced most of the possible scenarios involving with or without CRDP; pre-CRDP; and CRSC @ 100% and CRSC @ less than 100%.

Ron