National Guard, hows the calculation work for us?

fmstar

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am just starting the IDES process, but I have already completed the VA side since I am NG and was able to file before my MEB process began. I have already received a 100% scheduler rating from the VA.

My RPAS statement says the following:
  • Total Career Points - 1234
  • Total Pts For Ret Pay - 1234
  • AD Pts - 902
I am an O2/1LT, and I have no idea how to calculate high 3, is that drill pay?
My PEBLO feels confident that my conditions will be rated V1, they are all related to several IEDs and I have extensive documentation and LODs.

I obviously can't guarantee what my DOD percentage will be, but I assume it will be fairly high.

My question is; with these factors does it seem likely that I will qualify for any CRSC benefit even though I have so little time in service?

Thanks

Your fellow NG/Reserves might chime in later in case I'm missing something:

-CRSC: You have to apply for it to qualify regardless of time in service. You can search through this forum for instructions to apply. Once your MEB is complete, I recommend to apply as soon as you can.

-DOD pay: The way I understand it, once you are done with your MEB, for the first couple of months, DFAS should be paying you based on your DOD % or YOS whichever is more beneficial to the Soldier. DFAS will stop paying you once the VA pay kicks in.

However, if you are approved for your CRSC before the VA pay's effective, date, then you should still be receiving a DFAS pay. It will no longer be based on the disability percentage rate, but percentage of your Combat related injuries of your 902 Active duty points.

-Creditable Active Service: There is a formula on 2nd page of DA Form 5892, for calculation.

Hopefully this helps

Good Luck

T-man

Your fellow NG/Reserves might chime in later in case I'm missing something:

-CRSC: You have to apply for it to qualify regardless of time in service. You can search through this forum for instructions to apply. Once your MEB is complete, I recommend to apply as soon as you can.

-DOD pay: The way I understand it, once you are done with your MEB, for the first couple of months, DFAS should be paying you based on your DOD % or YOS whichever is more beneficial to the Soldier. DFAS will stop paying you once the VA pay kicks in.

However, if you are approved for your CRSC before the VA pay's effective, date, then you should still be receiving a DFAS pay. It will no longer be based on the disability percentage rate, but percentage of your Combat related injuries of your 902 Active duty points.

-Creditable Active Service: There is a formula on 2nd page of DA Form 5892, for calculation.

Hopefully this helps

Good Luck

T-man

Military Retirement (30% +) is based on DoD percentage on AD pay for past 36 months. You get to assume you were AD last 36 months.

You will fall under 36 month average for your rank.

Look at your current LES - I assume you are on AD orders going thru IDES?

Until retired on TDRL/PDRL, if on AD orders, your RPAS will continue to add qualifying retirement points to your NG RPAS.

This document will be used to calculate your CRSC dollars as the MAX you will receive from CRSC will be based on what you would have rec'd on your NG retirement (based on points).

years are 360 days (points)
months are 30 days (points)

The Total Points for Retirement column is used to figure this out.

At least, that's how I understand this CRSC thing for NG/Reserves.

So, in your example, if you were retired onto TDRL/PDRL, and the points you have at retirement to TDRL/PDRL is 1,234...

you would have 3 years, (360 x 3 = 1,080)

5 months (30 x 5 = 150)

4 days

that's 8.54% of your 36 month base pay average.

I could be all chewed up with this, but that's how I was told this would work for CRSC as the max payable for those less than 20 years.

nwlivewire

I am not on Active Duty orders though IDES. I assume it was an option, but it's not something I am interested in.
I am already receiving VA Pay.

Since I will not be on AD orders, does this affect the 36 month pay calculation?
My LES says:
YRS SVC: 08
GRADE: O2

- I have been an O2 for the past 3 years
- Does that mean I would use $4,632.13 from the pay chart?

Would that work out to be .0854 (3 years,5 months,4 days) * $4,632.13 (O2 base pay) = $395 (CRSC)?

I also assume this is contingent on being rated 100% by the DOD.

Thanks

I am not on Active Duty orders though IDES. I assume it was an option, but it's not something I am interested in.
I am already receiving VA Pay.

Since I will not be on AD orders, does this affect the 36 month pay calculation?
My LES says:
YRS SVC: 08
GRADE: O2

- I have been an O2 for the past 3 years
- Does that mean I would use $4,632.13 from the pay chart?

Would that work out to be .0854 (3 years,5 months,4 days) * $4,632.13 (O2 base pay) = $395 (CRSC)?

I also assume this is contingent on being rated 100% by the DOD.

Thanks

There are many steps or chunks in this calculation process.

One chunk is the pay situation for retirement.

In your case, you have 8 years for pay and are being paid as an O-2

For an approximate figure....

Look at Active Duty 2014 monthly pay rate for O-2 with 8 and multiply that monthly figure by 12.

Use the Jan 2014 monthly pay rate, not the 2015 rate. This is pretty close.

Then use the 2013 monthly pay rate for an O-2 with 7 years and multiply that monthly figure by 12.

Then use the 2012 monthly pay rate for an O-2 with 6 years and multiply that monthly figure by 12.

Take your three annual figures and add them together - and then divide by 36 months.

That is your approximate 36-month average monthly pay figure.

THAT figure would be your approximate "36 month average pay".

For CRSC purposes, 8.54% of that 36-month average monthly pay figure would be your max CRSC.

With the raise in Jan 2015, for every month you are still in the military in 2015, those monthly pay amounts will count toward your 36 month pay average.

Just drop off the months of the oldest monthly pay numbers and insert the newer ones (2015) when you get closer to your discharge date for a better approximate figure.

Also, you are still getting RPAS points (I assume you are anyway but you better double check). So if this is true, then your 8.54% will change, too.

Hopefully, maybe increase to 10% of monthly average pay for CRSC.

Others will chime in if I have made a glaring error.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Last edited:
Just for anyone else who might be looking for this kind of info, I'll spell out my calculations.

Using these historical pay charts:
http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/charts/historical-military-pay-rates.html

2014/02/8-Years - 4,678.50 (6 months)
2014/02/8-Years - 4,632.30 (12 months)
2013/02/7-Years - 4,586.40 (12 months)
2012/02/6-Years - 4,509.60 (6 months)
High 3 = $4,604
From DFAS, Ch61 amount is high 36 will be multiplied by 75% = $3453. This is true even if I get a DOD rating of 100%.

Projected Total Career Points - 1270
- Years are 360 days (points)
- Months are 30 days (points)

Years = 1270/360 = 3.53 = 3 Years and 190 days
Months = 190/30 = 6.3 = 6 Months and 10 days
Days = 10 Days
Retirement % = 8.75%

CRSC Amount = Ch61 Amount X Retirement % = $3453 X 8.75% = 402.85.

Assumptions:
- There is no difference in high 3 for National Guard soldiers. You do not use the m-day pay chart you use the Active Duty pay chart.
- The DOD percentage will be at least 70% making the disability % max out at 75%.

So the only unknown is if being an M-Day soldier has an impact on the high 3.

Hello, to the above posts, I believe you are right from what I have been told. I got my 199 last month and my retirement orders yesterday with a retirement date of 10 Feb 2015. Another question I have, I don't get CRSC but I should get CRDP at 60. How do they calculate that? By the way, my high 3 was about the same except I was enlisted with 25 yrs and 5 mos for pay at e-7. My total pts were 3272 for 9 yrs 1 mo 2 days. Also, I am PDRL with 70% and 90% VA side. Thanks for any help.

Hello, to the above posts, I believe you are right from what I have been told. I got my 199 last month and my retirement orders yesterday with a retirement date of 10 Feb 2015. Another question I have, I don't get CRSC but I should get CRDP at 60. How do they calculate that? By the way, my high 3 was about the same except I was enlisted with 25 yrs and 5 mos for pay at e-7. My total pts were 3272 for 9 yrs 1 mo 2 days. Also, I am PDRL with 70% and 90% VA side. Thanks for any help.

9 years 1 month is approximately 22.71% of monthly base pay average.

Your CRDP will be somewhere near that amount - 22.71% of your monthly base pay average.

nwlivewire