NAVY Formal Board time frame

gunmate1

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I am looking for any information regarding the time frame that the Formal Board hears the case and results are back? Is there anyway to get an update on information before the board actually mails out the decision? If i am seperated with 15 years of service will i be compensated for all 15 or just 12, i have seen both calculations? I am a nervous wreck waiting for these results. If you can help please help.

Gunmate,

Sorry I can't assist with your question because I haven't gone for my formal board yet. I was wondering how long it took from the time you requested the formal hearing until you were informed you had a set date in D.C.? My JAG told me I should be notified within 2 weeks that I've been granted a FPEB, but it's been 2 1/2 months, nothing yet?
Good luck with your results.

Thanks for any help.

I remember it didn't take long, the first IPEB was rather quick, but that was because of my XOs NMA, then the second one came in about a month, Same findings "Fit to continue". So i went the Formal Board, i heard back from my Jag in about 2 weeks from the findings, Then i met with her on Nov 30th, for a board Dec1. WEnt to the board i was the only one that day. So i got their early just cause the Navy Yard sucks for traffic, then i had to walk to the building, which is not easy to find, most buildings are not clearly marked. Sat through the board, i had a Marine Colonel as the president, a Navy Dr commander, and a Commander SWO. Then there were 2 guys from JAG their along with my Lawyer. I don't know what takes so long, but it is taking forever to get these results back. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it shouldn't take that long, so now i am almost at 6 weeks. So i am getting antcy. Just wish it would all be over.

Yeah i had to go to DC for the Formal board. I am now awaiting those results now, but i live an hour south of DC and stationed in DC so it wasn't that bad for me. Now i am not in the Pilot program. Sometimes i wish i was it just seems like it works better. I am hoping for an unfit finding because i am in pain every day, no meds are working for me, and Walter Reid said i wasn't a candidate for surgery, so i think it's time for me to get out. I can't do sea duty, i know i won't clear the screening for it, i just hope the navy does whats right.

Update information
March 2011: Found Fit to continue Naval Service
April 2011: Not cleared for Sea duty
August 2011: New MEB Initiated
Sep 2011: MEB Completed recommended PEB
Oct 2011: C&P Exams completed
Nov 30 2011: Signed PEB Package and Addendums
Dec 1 2011: Package sent off to Washington Navy Yard
Dec 6 2011: Package recieve by PEB in Washington Navy yard
120 day countdown begins

I wish there was a way to see where the packages were in the process when they are at the Navy Yard.

they send the packages through fedex so you peblo should have a tracking number
I know that. I was referring to after it was recieved. From what i have heard the Army has that stuff linked through AKO.

Can anyone give me a straight answer with this. If i am found 20% by the Navy and recieve a seperation, what is taken out of the VA disability of roughly 70%? Is it just what was the disabling factor for the Navy or is it the entire retirement? Also with the military looking into early retirement, will there be Concurrent recipet if we are over the 15 year mark? Any answers or help would be greatly appreciated.

I am no expert but. the 20% will result in a severance. This will be repaid by whatever the VA rating is for the disqualifying event. Ex: Navy awarded 20% for back pain and your overall VA was 70%, then you will not receive the monetary compensation for the PEB diagnosis monthly until the severance amount is paid back. That is how I was explained repayment of severance. Personally I would refuse severance unless you have outstanding debts of a large amount with over 28% interest (No one should have that). Remember the ratings are calculated in order by severity. As far as concurrent receipt for retirement we will have to wait and see official wording. A lot of sailors effected by the ERB are also inquiring about this. their inquiries may answer yours.

If any of my info is wrong let me know so I can change it to avoid confusion to others.

Still.... That is what i am talking about. I have heard from different VA Reps that you only pay back the % from the VA. For example. 20% Severance from the Navy and 70% from the VA, you only pay back the % that the VA claims is related to that injury. So now i am even more confused. I hope that someone may know where this is in writing. I am not busting on your post just keeps getting confusing when i hear 2 different things over and over. Crazy i know. I guess i wont know until the %'s for me come back. LOL Sooooo confusing.

Update: Sort of
Update information
Jan 5 2012: Contacted PEBLO. Stated my package was with Docs and that the VA was broke.
Jan 9 2012: Sent e-mail to PEBLO requesting clarification which "Docs" and asking if the board had convened for me.
86 days left to hear something. Hopefully sometime with in the next couple of weeks.

No i went to DC for both times, i was under the Legacy program the first time, i did an IPEB and also had to do a FPEB as well. I also put in for a PFR but they were all sent back "Fit to Continue Naval Service" Well i have since gotten worse. So now i am under the new IDES program and hopefully cause my NMA says im broke and shouldn't be in the Navy, and my NARSUM says the same thing and also my reffered Docs at the VA and Navy medical all say i am broke, so i am h oping for some sort of retirement or even seperation at this point. Just ready to get it over with. I already have jobs lined up before i get out so it doesn't really matter what happens as long as i am retired or seperated. I would love retirement but i know VA should be around 70-80% So hopefully soon. Just trying to keep positive with all that is going on since it has been a very hard process for my wife and myself. We are just ready for it to be done.

What do you mean 86 days left to hear something???
They are supposed to respond within 120 days. Thats why there is the count down. Whether they stick to it or not is up to them. But i figure if i don't hear anything by then then i get on the phone once a day to the PEBLO looking for a status update.

Update information
Jan 5 2012: Contacted PEBLO. Stated my package was with Docs and that the VA was broke.
Jan 9 2012: Sent e-mail to PEBLO requesting clarification which "Docs" and asking if the board had convened for me.
Jan 17 2012: Sent e-mail to PEBLO, was told i wouldn't hear anything within a week and to contact him in 3 weeks.
78 days left to hear something. Hopefully sometime with in the next couple of weeks.

Update information
Jan 17 2012: Sent e-mail to PEBLO, was told i wouldn't hear anything within a week and to contact him in 3 weeks.

Jan 30 2012: Finally got the word today that my package has gone to the VA, have no idea what my rating is.

Does anyone know roughly the wait time for a package to return from the VA, i found out i was found unfit and but i have no idea for ratings and waiting for the VA to come back with results, just trying to figure out how long? Can anyone help?

Just checked ebenefits today and my status was changed to Pending Decision Approval Anyone know how long it usually takes from that point? I am looking for people who have dealt with the NAVY. I hope someone can help.