Navy - Help choosing a separation date

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all,

My official ratings finally came in and I would like to sign off on them. They were received on December 14th.
I know that I can choose my separation date, and that I should shoot for the end of whatever month I pick. The form states "no less than 30 days, but no more than 90 days from the day I received my PEB findings." Originally I wanted to get out end of March, but receiving the PEB findings on the 14th puts me in right in the middle of the month. Is it still possible for me to request March 29th and have it approved? Or do I now have to choose March 14th as the latest day?

melloten

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My understanding on how the Army does it is this:

You'll have time to do your out-processing (dependent on your location, but usually 10 days) plus the time that it takes to process the paper work (figure about a week). I'd guess about 20 days total. This will be when you'll pick up your DD-214 and start PTDY (or PTAD) and whatever leave you have saved up. In the Army, if we have more than 60 days saved then the first O-6 in your chain can push the date back in order for you to use the leave. The other way to push back the 90-day mark is a request from you CoC for "extenuating circumstances". For example, lets say your the only one that can do your job and it's mission essential and your replacement is 100 days out, that may be a reason.

In general though, it seems like that 90 day mark is fairly set in stone except in unique circumstances. You could always get out the end of February though if you wanted, but make sure it's before February 28, otherwise you'll lose an entire month of VA pay. In my case I chose February 25 as my date because that will a) make sure I get my full 2.5 days of leave that month and b) make sure that I am a veteran before the last day of the month.

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was really hoping to use my full 60 Days of Terminal, plus 10 of househunting. It seems like its the luck of the draw as to whether or not you get your results at the end of the month :/

happysad

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
My command is on Holiday leave until early January so things are already going to be tight in terms of being able to take advantage of my days.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">