Navy IDES program

gunmate1

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hi,
I have been through the Legacy program and was found fit. Now i am going through the new and improved IDES program. I have no idea what to expect. So far the people i have been working with have spent more time with me than my last PEBLO. So i can confident with this new run at the PEB. But i have no clue how the IDES works. How is the VA involved, and what does the VA do about stuff that isn't covered under the PEB? Ie: Sleep Apnea. ANy help would be appreciated

So far my experience with the VA is it's the same medical stuff as if you were retiring. The VA rep is supposed to go through your record and note anything in it, not just the disqualifying stuff. I also reviewed it and added some things they missed. I was evaluated for everything that was noted/claimed. Some things came back acknowledged, others did not. They did screw up the apnea though, and I'm working on getting it fixed. They missed the last two sleep studies so my initial paperwork from the VA states I don't have it. When you are done with the VA appointments they send them to the MEB officer and the doctor is supposed to write your dictation to include the VA stuff related to your PEB. So essentially you get two VA ratings. One for the "reffered conditions" to the PEB, and the VA total disability rating. The military pays you based on the first one, the VA based on the second.

OK just to make sure i understand, when i sit down with the VA rep, he is going to review my record to see what the percentage for the PEB board and then rate the other things that wont go to the PEB? So how does that work with regards to payment. I will recieve one payment from the Navy and then the other payment from the VA? I am just curious cause i have really no idea about that IDES.

Again from what I understand, the VA gives two ratings, one that is a recommendation to the PEB on the diqualifying rated conditions, and one the VA uses to determine the VA rating. How much you get depends on each rating, if you qualify for CRDP or CRSC, and how you are seperated, i.e. disability retirement/ disability seperation/ admin sep. You would need alot more information to make any other speculations. The new process is basically set up so you get the VA check (if you qualify) within a month or two after seperating, vice years later.