Navy IDES Timeline - NMCSD

Scuderia7

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Referred conditions: Major Depressive Disorder (Recurrent, Severe), Anxiety Disorder (Unspecified), Reaction to Severe Stress (Unspecified), Migraine Headaches, Tinnitus, TMJ, and Bruxism.

February 14, 2019: Med Board initiated.
March 30, 2019: VA Exams completed and submitted.
May 1, 2019: NARSUM completed and package sent off to DOD.
May 20, 2019: PEB Help Desk informed me package was with Presiding Officer
May 23, 2019: PEB Help Desk informed me package was being prepared to be sent to the VA, however, my PEBLO said he doesn't not see any updates on his end.
May 31, 2019: Unable to get a hold of PEB Help Desk, and PEBLO said he still does not see any updates on his end.

So, now I'm stuck in the same waiting game as most everyone else is. When I spoke to the person in D.C. at the PEB Help Desk and she told me that my package was being prepared to be forwarded to the VA, I asked "So, does that mean I was found UNFIT?" and she replied "Well, I can't confirm that because the only information I have access to shows me only that it is being sent to the VA, but I've never seen one sent to them without being UNFIT, otherwise it would be closed out and sent back to your command." Anyone else experience this delay between the Board finding you unfit and your PEBLO being notified? I want to believe the lady I spoke with at the Help Desk, but I can't fully breathe a sigh of relief until I hear it from my PEBLO. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any and all feedback

Referred conditions: Major Depressive Disorder (Recurrent, Severe), Anxiety Disorder (Unspecified), Reaction to Severe Stress (Unspecified), Migraine Headaches, Tinnitus, TMJ, and Bruxism.

February 14, 2019: Med Board initiated.
March 30, 2019: VA Exams completed and submitted.
May 1, 2019: NARSUM completed and package sent off to DOD.
May 20, 2019: PEB Help Desk informed me package was with Presiding Officer
May 23, 2019: PEB Help Desk informed me package was being prepared to be sent to the VA, however, my PEBLO said he doesn't not see any updates on his end.
May 31, 2019: Unable to get a hold of PEB Help Desk, and PEBLO said he still does not see any updates on his end.

So, now I'm stuck in the same waiting game as most everyone else is. When I spoke to the person in D.C. at the PEB Help Desk and she told me that my package was being prepared to be forwarded to the VA, I asked "So, does that mean I was found UNFIT?" and she replied "Well, I can't confirm that because the only information I have access to shows me only that it is being sent to the VA, but I've never seen one sent to them without being UNFIT, otherwise it would be closed out and sent back to your command." Anyone else experience this delay between the Board finding you unfit and your PEBLO being notified? I want to believe the lady I spoke with at the Help Desk, but I can't fully breathe a sigh of relief until I hear it from my PEBLO. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any and all feedback

Based on information received in DTAP at Portsmouth you are unfit. The PEB will only forward unfit packages to the VA. All of my interactions with PEBLO, MSC, etc have stated the same to me during this process.

What times of day have you had the most success in contacting the PEB help desk?

Note -the previous answer above re the DTAP info from NMCP is correct- cases are only referred to the VA Rating activity if one or more conditions were found to be Unfitting. Otherwise, the case is returned with a Fit finding that you must appeal if you wish to be found Unfit. As for timelines, let me share part of a post that I had made on a related thread a few minutes ago. The real issue at the Navy PEB level right now is that several permanent board members have either retired or gone on terminal leave, with no incoming members in sight. This manpower shortage has slowed down both initial IPEB determinations and FPEB hearings as well. While they did post these positions a few months ago in a solicitation for reservists 0-5 and above to come onto active duty on 8-month orders, there were no takers nor did they seek to bring back experienced members who had retired using retired and recalled orders. As a result, their available workforce is at about half of where it was in January, and this has slowed down the process to a high degree. They are so short-staffed that the CORB just received a special dispensation from the ASN to allow their 0-3 admin officer and an E-9 on staff to sit as board members in an exception to the 0-4 and above requirement of the SECNAVINST1850.4 series. The potentially useful aspect of this human resources shortage is that the FPEB caseload is so heavy that the board members may stipulate- i.e., agree without a hearing or part way through a hearing - to well-prepared petitions/cases to reduce their workload. I will be having my first formal hearings with such a mixed board in the third week in June and will report back on how this move appears to play out. I have also made Jason aware of this new development re the composition of board members so that we can both keep track of it.

Does anyone have any more updates on what is causing such long delays in DC? My PEB started Nov 2018, complete package sent to DoD April 9th. My PEBLO only has an update that my case is with the presiding officer this week (IPEB). How long does it sit with a presiding officer? My case has been sitting up in DC for two months npw, I've been trying for two days to get through to the PEB Help Desk (202-685-6422), I get messages, transfered than the call is ended. Is there another way to get ahold of someone in DC?

Does anyone have any more updates on what is causing such long delays in DC? My PEB started Nov 2018, complete package sent to DoD April 9th. My PEBLO only has an update that my case is with the presiding officer this week (IPEB). How long does it sit with a presiding officer? My case has been sitting up in DC for two months npw, I've been trying for two days to get through to the PEB Help Desk (202-685-6422), I get messages, transfered than the call is ended. Is there another way to get ahold of someone in DC?
[/QUOTE]

Based on information I have seen on this forum there are/were a couple of items holding up PEB cases. The CORB (entity that does the PEB) has been short on manpower due to retirements and transfer of staff without a backfill. Additionally, the system they use to track documentation was down for a period of time. As far as customer service goes, that is a hard line to get an answer on. I have called it numerous times and only ever been answered once. When I was able to reach someone, they told me that evenings are the best time to call (between 1600 and 1900). Hope that helps. Like all of us, these are not the answers we want to hear. Best of luck.

Thanks. I was also given a different number 202-685-2019. I was told they are processing over 2000 cases and process them on a first in, first out process. They just completed my informal adjudication. It took almost exactly two months and was sent to the VA for ratings this week. I've heard anything for 45 days to 2 months complete this step. .

Update: I was officially found unfit and my package was sent to the VA on June 5th. Now waiting for them to assign my ratings and send back.