Navy Timeline Ankylosing Spondylitis and Bi Hip FAI

nucpwr

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone!

Thank you all for the support and knowledge, it has been immensely helpful over these last several months. I am active duty Navy with 9.5 years of service. At the begging of 2019 I was diagnosed with bilateral femoroacetabular impingement for both hips (the left was worst). I had labral repair surgery on my left hip n May, but the damage was more extensive than could be deduced from an MRI, so I had a follow-on surgery in June to perform a reconstruction. In July I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and have been on Simponi Aria (golimumab) infusions since August. I claimed 24 conditions including my 2 referred conditions. Here is my timeline:

Referred to MEB: 23SEP19
Completed C&P Exams: 25OCT19
CO Impact Statement forwarded to PEBLO: 12DEC19
Package reviewed and signed by me: 30DEC19
Packaged sent to PEB: 31DEC2019
Packaged accepted by PEB: 31DEC2019

I saw my PEBLO on Monday, 10th of February and the board had still not decided fit or unfit yet. I am hoping to know by the end of the week and I will update my timeline when I know more.

Thank you for sharing. Wishing you the best.

Updated timeline:

Found Unfit by PEB: 11FEB2020
Cased forwarded and received by VA: 11FEB2020

Thanks for sharing. How did you find out that you were found unfit - did your PEBLO tell you? Have you seen any changes on the claim status on va.gov?

No problem! I started checking with my PEBLO once I hit the one month point. I was under the assumption that I would see my case close and a new one open on va.gov but that hasn’t happened yet. My account has had zero activity since the 3rd of December.

I found out on the 14th that the PEB sent my stuff a few days prior to the VA. At the time my PEBLO said that a VA Rater had not yet been assigned to my case (She can see that tab in whatever software they use for this process). I was thinking about stopping by tomorrow to see if one had been assigned.

Spoke to my PEBLO yesterday, 20 Feb. A VA rater has not yet been assigned to my case.

VA.gov said that my account was updated on 2 Mar. On 4 Mar it changed to closed and maintained an open claim dated 3 Mar. I assume at this point that all my conditions have been rated and my referred condition ratings were sent to the PEB for review. Based on other timelines I think that a 3 week VA turn around is pretty good!

My case is at the same point. Hopefully get called for ratings soon!!!

Still waiting for the PEB to send my ratings to the PEBLO. However, RingCentral is a website service that allows you to get a free 30 day trial of their online fax services. I was able to call the VA and have them fax me my proposed ratings. Not sure if the VA side is slow, but it took almost 2.5 hours to receive the fax. If you try this, understand it may take a little while for you to get the fax!

I called 3 different days and the Va people wouldn’t FAX it to me. They said they would mail it to me. So I’m still waiting

They make you wait until 10 business days after they say they mailed it in order to fax it. Are you outside of the 10 business days?

Yes, they wouldn’t fax it. They verified my address and said they would send it in the mail. I know they can fax but the people I dealt with wouldn’t budge.

Found Unfit by PEB: 11FEB2020
Cased forwarded and received by VA: 11FEB2020

Cased closed on VA.gov and sent back to PEB: 4MAR20
Finding back from PEBLO: 30MAR20

I was awarded 50% DOD and 100% VA and placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List. This has been a long and emotionally bumpy ride. I am waiting to review the results with my lawyer. Thank you for the support and for sharing your experiences, it really helped me through this period of uncertainty in my life! I will post additional updates when I get them to make this as complete of a reference as possible.

On the document I have detailing the specifics of my claims from the VA, every claim is labeled as a “static disability”. Is it normal for the board to find my conditions “unstable” and the VA to find all my conditions “static”?

My biggest concern now is getting out in the middle of this pandemic…

Glad you finally got your ratings back! Still waiting on mine. If you don’t mind me asking are you on the East or west coast?

Update to my timeline. I signed for my findings on the 9th of April and I received separation orders today, 23rd of April, for the 28th of June!

Hey got my orders today for July 28th retirement. Figured I’d give an update. Weird how we had almost identical times up until our end date. But the light has arrived at the end of the tunnel!