Navy Timeline | Spinal Fusion + PTSD

Kizersoze

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I hope this information is helpful to some of you going through the process. I have been plodding through the process, but it seems to be moving along relatively quickly. I was initially referred to MEB/PEB for my spinal fusion and the PTSD was added during the MEB before my package was sent to the Informal Physical Evaluation Board (IPEB). I don't anticipate the PTSD to be considered unfitting and honestly I hope they don't. I would rather be on PDRL than TDRL.

30 May - Referred to MEB
12 Jun - Legal/PEBLO brief
21 Jun - VA Military Service Coordinator (MSC) claim development
27 Jun - 1st C&P Exam
09 Aug - Final C&P Exam
31 Aug - VA C&P exams received by PEBLO (late Friday of Labor Day holiday)
05 Sep - Received completed MEB Proceedings packet (NAVMED 6100/1, VA claim forms, NARSUM, Behavioral Health Addendum, VA C&P Examination Reports, LIMDU, NMA, admin records)
06 Sep - Reviewed documents with Navy JAG and National Veterans Legal Services Program Lawyer (an amazing free resource) and decided not to request Independent Medical Review (IMR)

UNFITTING CONDITIONS - Bilateral lumbosacral radiculopathy(mild) s/p L5-S1 fusion; Lumbosacral spondylosis without myelopathy; S/P L5-S1 fusion; Obstructive sleep apnea; PTSD

06 Sep - Signed MEB packet and PEBLO forwarded to IPEB for review

** NOTES** Per the new timelines released (DTM-18-004) I am hoping to hear about a FIT/UNFIT decision from the IPEB today 17 Sep. I will keep you all updated.

20 Sep - IPEB initial ruling of UNFIT as expected. Rating request forwarded to VA.

To get this info I had to call the PEB office at Washington Navy Yard directly. The Chief who answered pulled up my case and gave me the news. It’s still very exciting to get that word after years of this whole process.

28 Sep - E-Benefits website status updated "INITIAL REVIEW COMPLETE" on open claims. Before this it said "GATHERING EVIDENCE." Does anyone know if this has any real significance? I am having a hard time believing the VA will get my ratings done in less than 30 days per the new timeline.

Hey, just commenting to put input on your last comment. I don't know if the VA is slowing down, my peeblo said it should take a few weeks to get my ratings back. Was found unfit the 9th of august and still haven't received my ratings. Don't let this sway you though, I've read other cases and the VA is usually fairly quick with this part. Also with that being said don't get your hopes up because the VA has up to 120 days to get ratings out to you. My peeblo said the process usually takes around 4-6 weeks. Hope you get yours back very soon!

10 Oct - My ratings have been completed by VA and sent back to Washington Navy Yard for QA process. I just figured this out today by calling the PEB office directly. I was told it takes “about two weeks” to process right now. I’m hoping to see my letter by the end of this week.

@Kizersoze any update on your case? Did they find your Radiculopathy unfitting? Thanks .... just creeping on your timeline

Hey @ArcticWarrior907, I'm also trying to find out if @Kizersoze was rated for radiculopathy and what the final findings were. I have a spinal fusion with cervical radiculopathy and have got my VA ratings back @ 80% but I am still waiting for my DOD findings.

I had a C5-C7 fusion with Radiculopathy in both of my arms, not going through the MEB process as I am retiring after 21 yrs in July, however of course wonder what the VA rates this stuff.

I had the exact same surgery C5-C7 and still struggeling with radiculopathy down both arms, my left arm has been numb since December 2017. Mine was rated as mild by the VA. Unfortunatley it really comes down to the C&P examiner. So 10% for fusion based on ROM and 20% for either arm. I hope that helps you.

It does..I appreciate sharing, still blows my mind that you get "only" 10% for the fusion, my ROM is virtually non existent. Have been going through physical therapy for seven months and I can not move my head to the left or right at all. They did do a EMG and found mild Carpal tunnel.

Thanks @ArcticWarrior907, I'm hoping that the medical board includes the radiculopathy into thier percentage so I can continue getting my medications and steroid epidurals. I know what you mean about your ROM. I still struggle and it's been ten months since my surgery. My C&P examiner added about 15 degrees onto each ROM value which is why I got only 10%. the main one is Flexion, if it is below 15 degrees you will get 30%. I hope that you find some relief too. I know what you are going through and I feel your pain. I think its crazy that for something this dehabilitating they only give you at most 50%. People with sleep apnea get 50%. rediculous.

I completely agree with you and hopefully DOD will not lowball you like the VA did. I would have been pissed at that examiner..amd.maybe will

@ArcticWarrior907 any update on your case? I got a 20% DOD so I am heading to a formal board next week.
OllieT...I am not going through the MEB process, I am retiring in September after 21years and have my VA C&P exams hopefully in May. I hope they will reconsider your rating during the board..may I ask what the VA rates you?

@ArcticWarrior907 congrats on retirement, thank you for your 21 years of service. I hope that the transition is a smooth one. The VA rated me as follows:
Sleep Apnea @ 50%
Cervical Stenosis “neck pain” @ 20%
Left upper extremity Radiculopathy @ 20%
Right upper extremity Radiculopathy @ 20%

Total VA rating of 80%