austin7142

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm Active Duty in the Marine Corps, and today I was informed by my psychiatrist that I was put onto a Med Board. We both mutually agreed upon it, as things have been getting worse and my mental health has significantly taken a tole on my performance. The PEB Admin called me yesterday also, and asked me to bring in my medical records to them at the Hospital. She also emailed me a Medical Boards Information Paper to fill out.

I am honestly embarrassed to share what my issue is, because it's something that's strange and bizarre. But it has nearly destroyed my life, and caused/made worse my OCD, and anxiety.

The issue I struggle with is being very concerned over my appearance. I'll spend at least a couple of hours per day fixing and preparing myself, as well as ruminating about my appearance. Which has been increasing my OCD and anxiety. After visiting mental health over it, the doctor ended up diagnosing me with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Anxiety, and Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

My psychiatrist tells me that obviously my issue is real, but she worries the Med Board will come back with nothing wrong. due to how unique of an issue it is. I remember the first episode happening during my time in basic, while I was stuck recovering in MRP due to a foot injury. People made a lot of comments about the way I look, and made fun of me a lot. Which it's just gotten worse over time.

Honestly, it seems like my chances with the Med Board are uncertain. Is anyone have any advice or tips, that may be able to help me with getting the Med Board to be willing to consider/qualify my condition?

Hey @austin7142 . USMC myself and just went through the whole process, currently on terminal leave so if you have any specific questions, ask away.

First thing is to make sure you read all the forums here as there is a lot of really good information that you will need here. Also look at MCO 1900.16 Ch2 about the MEB/PEB process.

Don't feel that you have to share anything with anyone here, or anywhere for that matter, if you don't want to.

You can find the schedule of ratings for the VA on mental health disorders to see how they qualify their percentage rating. You should also be able to find the assessment they will conduct. When you go to medical ask them for a paper copy as well as a CD with all sensitive information (if you want to see any mental health notes).

I can't say what the MEB will consider/qualify, but if the doctors say that you cannot perform as a Marine then you will most likely go to the PEB. I personally haven't heard of many MEBs coming back. But Im not an expert. The PEB will look at your medical history as well as your CO's Non-Medical Assessment. Other than making sure your medical records are in order, the NMA is the second most important document to get right. Depending on if you are looking at being found fit/unfit, how your medical condition does/doesn't affect your ability to perform your duties as a Marine, in your MOS, and/or your rank. You want to make sure your NMA and/or personal statement (if the lawyer recommends writing one) need to make sure that all 3 areas are specifically covered. I would highly recommend writing out your own NMA and routing it to your CO for signature.

Again, there is a ton of info on this forum and a lot of really knowledgeable and friendly people that will answer questions you will have.

Hey @austin7142 . USMC myself and just went through the whole process, currently on terminal leave so if you have any specific questions, ask away.

First thing is to make sure you read all the forums here as there is a lot of really good information that you will need here. Also look at MCO 1900.16 Ch2 about the MEB/PEB process.

Don't feel that you have to share anything with anyone here, or anywhere for that matter, if you don't want to.

You can find the schedule of ratings for the VA on mental health disorders to see how they qualify their percentage rating. You should also be able to find the assessment they will conduct. When you go to medical ask them for a paper copy as well as a CD with all sensitive information (if you want to see any mental health notes).

I can't say what the MEB will consider/qualify, but if the doctors say that you cannot perform as a Marine then you will most likely go to the PEB. I personally haven't heard of many MEBs coming back. But Im not an expert. The PEB will look at your medical history as well as your CO's Non-Medical Assessment. Other than making sure your medical records are in order, the NMA is the second most important document to get right. Depending on if you are looking at being found fit/unfit, how your medical condition does/doesn't affect your ability to perform your duties as a Marine, in your MOS, and/or your rank. You want to make sure your NMA and/or personal statement (if the lawyer recommends writing one) need to make sure that all 3 areas are specifically covered. I would highly recommend writing out your own NMA and routing it to your CO for signature.

Again, there is a ton of info on this forum and a lot of really knowledgeable and friendly people that will answer questions you will have.

Appreciate your reply. I've been staying on top of any paper copies, which I've been keeping since day one in a folder.

As for the CD, I've requested it but have decided to leave it at the Hospital. That way when I finally need it, I'll have them update it one more time, before using it for any claims.

Honestly though, I am struggling with knowing if my medical records are in good order or not. I've done a good job at gathering my paperwork, but I worry if information that would be important and help my case, might be left out and still needed.

I'm considering contacting Jason Perry, and was thinking about signing up for his MEB Consultation Service. I figure, if I only get 1 chance at this whole thing, then maybe I should go into it with maximum ammo? Also, when I looked online for Military Disability Attorneys, it seemed like all of them only focused on the VA Part. I didn't see anything on any of there websites, that mentioned being able to help with the MEB/PEB Process.

If I do want to use an attorney though, could I/should I wait till I've acquired one before sending back the Medical Boards Information Paperwork the PEB Admin had sent me?

I won't tell you what to turn in or when, but that information is mostly from your BIR and the sensitive information you dont have to fill out until you meet with the PEB admin. Don't sign anything until you've been counseled on it. You are at the very beginning of a long process. The PEB admin will take all your records, make copies and create a folder to give to your MEBLO/PEBLO. Before you meet with your MEBLO one of the first things you will do is meet with YOUR assigned PEB attorney. At a minimum you will be assigned a Navy PEB lawyer. You are completely free to seek outside counsel if you want. But as a general rule, do not sign anything until going over it with your attorney, whether that is Jason Perry or your assigned attorney.

You should be assigned a Case Manager at the local MTF. I'm not sure which base you are on, but mine was at the Naval Hospital at Pendleton, even though my PEB went out of Balboa. I recommend you go over everything with your case manager as well. They should on your intake appointment. They are awesome and will help you the entire way. If you don't hear from a case manager in the next two weeks I would call and see if you can be assigned one. There is a specific department at the hospital (here) for case management.

For your records, you can get an updated copy of your records whenever you want (just FYI). When you fill out the release forms, just make sure you put an end date that is further out than you think you'll need. That way, for the next 6 months anytime you want a copy of your records you dont have to fill out that form. I think I had 6 discs made by the end of the MEB portion as you want to make sure everything is completely accurate. As far as whats needed, talk to your case manager and attorney, they should have plenty of knowledge between them. Read similar cases as yours and see what the outcomes, obstacles were. Keep studying the process and asking questions here and you should be pretty well off which ever way you want to go.