Not open for further replies.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
CRSC Estimate, PEB Forum

If you want an estimate of your Chapter 61 (disability retirement) CRSC entitlement... (Note: If you are not a CH 61 retiree, please indicate your category of retirement; we compute those also).

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or IF retired, your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. EXAMPLE: My high three average is $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: My DoD disability rating is 50%

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: My active duty 11 years and 3 months (Note: 11 yrs 3 months is not 11.3; it is 11.25)
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: I have 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s) Example: I have SMC-K in the amount of $108.57

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: I have 100% CRSC approved plus SMC-S approved as well for CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability, including REDUX? EXAMPLE: Yes, I qualify for Reserve Retirement pay now as I have reached the age requirement

Note: All the info listed above is necessary. Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Post your new thread at ----> CRSC Forum Link
Use the red Post Thread button

Ron

edited to add:

An excellent example of a complete reply to request for CRSC information. This involved a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 years active duty.

--The high 3 ($3872) but for the longevity at $1762 for the 18 years and 4 months.
--I was approved for 50% DOD in my medical retirements, with is $1923.
-- I have 18 years and 4 months and 15 days of active duty
--I receive 100% VA with is $3799.00 with include SMC-K with is $108.57 I have a wife and 5 kids that are under 18 years.
--Approved 60% CRSC-- wife and 5 kids that are under 18 years.

--I don’t qualify for any other retirement.

COMPUTATION

A. 3872 x 50% = 1936 DoD retirement (close to the 1923 you cited)
B. 18.333 yrs AD x 2.5% = 45.83% multiplier for longevity
C. 3872 x 45.83% = 1774.54 longevity portion of retirement
D. 1936 DoD retirement reduced by 3799.00 VA comp = zero retired pay remaining
E. 60% CRSC (spouse and 5c under 18) = $1,290.86 + (4 x 50) = $1490.86

Your CRSC approved by service is 1490.86 which is less than the longevity ceiling of 1774.54. CRSC payable for one month = $1490.86

Note: There are several potential scenarios for CRSC. Each case is different.

Considerations

--CRSC can never be more than the longevity portion of retired pay that was waived/lost

--CRSC can never be more than the amount associated with the service-approved combat-related percentage (CRSC approval). The amount is found in the VA compensation tables.

--CRSC for a Chapter 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD is the lesser (smaller amount) of the two items immediately preceding this remark (i.e., “CRSC can never…”)

--CRSC for REDUX recipients uses the REDUX formula.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.