Need advice On Walter Reed

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
my Brigade commander (USAREC) has found out that I have a diagnosis of Motor Neuron Disease and that my Air Force MTF Chief of Neurology has given me a tentative diagnosis of ALS. So now my COL asked me if I want to go TDY to Walter Reed to get further tested.

I have been through too many damn tests to count, brain and spinal MRI, EEG, Spinal tap, 3 ea EMG (third abnormal indicating ALS) nerve conduction study, and too many blood labs to count. I think I should go for it, but I have no idea of Walter Reeds level of proficiency of clinically diagnosing ALS. I also have no clue how going TDY for medical tests works....

Any advice?

I can't tell you of Walter Reeds proficiency at diagnosing ALS, but WRNMMC does have some of the military's best medical assets. Both in facilities and in personnel. I'm not sure what MTF you are using now, but I'm sure Walter Reeds assets are higher. Going TDY for medical is like going TDY for anything else. You get TDY orders and a travel itinerary. It is pretty simple. If I were you, I would do it.

my Brigade commander (USAREC) has found out that I have a diagnosis of Motor Neuron Disease and that my Air Force MTF Chief of Neurology has given me a tentative diagnosis of ALS. So now my COL asked me if I want to go TDY to Walter Reed to get further tested.

I have been through too many damn tests to count, brain and spinal MRI, EEG, Spinal tap, 3 ea EMG (third abnormal indicating ALS) nerve conduction study, and too many blood labs to count. I think I should go for it, but I have no idea of Walter Reeds level of proficiency of clinically diagnosing ALS. I also have no clue how going TDY for medical tests works....

Any advice?

I can't tell you of Walter Reeds proficiency at diagnosing ALS, but WRNMMC does have some of the military's best medical assets. Both in facilities and in personnel. I'm not sure what MTF you are using now, but I'm sure Walter Reeds assets are higher. Going TDY for medical is like going TDY for anything else. You get TDY orders and a travel itinerary. It is pretty simple. If I were you, I would do it.

Indeed, sound insightful advice in my opinion as based upon my long history of military healthcare treatment experiences with WRNMMCB.

In addition, the other good point-of-fact is that your military treatment records should be easily assessable via the Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (ALTHA) which replaced the military's paper-based medical records system with an Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Back