Special comp of $108.25

High 3 $4640.93 , spouse and 1 child.
24 yrs active duty (Retired)
Redux $2506
VA 100% $3460 with additional 70%
Claiming 70% for crsc
Special comp of $108.25

REDUX RETIREMENT

1. It appears that you are receiving CRDP (rated =>50% by VA, 20+ years of AD)
2. I infer your REDUX payment is $2506 (which is likely all CRDP...see page 2 of your DFAS RAS)
3. With CRSC, your retired pay would reduced by the amount of VA compensation, which based on the info you provided = zero retired pay remaining
4. CRSC @ 70% with spouse and 1 child = $1,609.71

5. If my inferences are correct, if you continue with CRDP you will receive $2506 each month. If you change to CRSC, you will receive $1609.71 each month @70%.

CRDP seems to be the best option for you. About $900 more than the CRSC amount.

Ron

REDUX RETIREMENT

1. It appears that you are receiving CRDP (rated =>50% by VA, 20+ years of AD)
2. I infer your REDUX payment is $2506 (which is likely all CRDP...see page 2 of your DFAS RAS)
3. With CRSC, your retired pay would reduced by the amount of VA compensation, which based on the info you provided = zero retired pay remaining
4. CRSC @ 70% with spouse and 1 child = $1,609.71

5. If my inferences are correct, if you continue with CRDP you will receive $2506 each month. If you change to CRSC, you will receive $1609.71 each month @70%.

CRDP seems to be the best option for you. About $900 more than the CRSC amount.

Ron

Ron,

I would pretty much break even. VA 1609.71 + RETIRED 896.29 + CRSC 0 =2506 , right? My next question is what if I’m still rated 100% with my other service connected through VA, what happens?

Hello,

I am not sure I follow you. You will not receive the 896.29 you mentioned; it is waived without CRSC to replace it. Your max CRSC is 1609.71 based on a 70% approval by your service. It is less than the the apparent REDUX formula for your longevity.

With CRSC, your retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation. My own VA compensation is similar to yours and it reduces my retired pay (E9 over 24 yrs for pay) to zero.
I retired 29 years ago.

In my case, I receive only CRSC (@100%) from DFAS, not to exceed the longevity portion of my retirement...which is all of it.

Ron

With regard to your VA compensation: You continue to receive your full VA comp regardless of choice of CRDP or CRSC.

Ron

Here is an example of a regular retirement without REDUX and CRSC approved at a percentage less than the rate of VA compensation.

Factors:
--Retired pay = 3000
--VA comp at 100% = 3500
--CRSC approved at 50% (used random amt of 1499)

Result:
1. 3000 retired pay minus 3500 = zero retired pay remaining
2. CRSC replaces 1499 of the 3000 waived/lost
3. Amounts received each month =
VA 3500
DFAS 1499 (CRSC)

Ron

SGTTango,

Revisiting your REDUX/CRSC case, a summary:

1. With CRDP: You receive VA 100% $3460 + SMC-K and REDUX payment of $2506 (includes CRDP) for a total of $5966 or more (depends on whether SMC-K was included in the 3460)

2. With CRSC: You receive VA 100% $3460 + SMC-K and CRSC of $1,609.71 for a total of 5069.71 or more (depends on whether SMC-K was included in the 3460)

3. CRDP appears to be your best choice based on available info.

Ron

SGTTango,

Revisiting your REDUX/CRSC case, a summary:

1. With CRDP: You receive VA 100% $3460 + SMC-K and REDUX payment of $2506 (includes CRDP) for a total of $5966 or more (depends on whether SMC-K was included in the 3460)

2. With CRSC: You receive VA 100% $3460 + SMC-K and CRSC of $1,609.71 for a total of 5069.71 or more (depends on whether SMC-K was included in the 3460)

3. CRDP appears to be your best choice based on available info.

Ron
Thank you Ron, you made it very clear.

Thank you Ron, you made it very clear.
You're welcome...REDUX cases are especially challenging and confusing.

I think I've worked less than a dozen over the years.

Take care,
Ron

Hello SGTTango,

I am receiving $3227.58 (VA 100% Disability) $2442.48 Retirement and want to apply for 100% for CRSC and I can't find a calculator to do this can you assist? I want to know if I'm better off with what I have or apply for CRSC. I don't want to apply if my payment is going to be lower then what I am getting.

Hello SGTTango,

I am receiving $3227.58 (VA 100% Disability) $2442.48 Retirement and want to apply for 100% for CRSC and I can't find a calculator to do this can you assist? I want to know if I'm better off with what I have or apply for CRSC. I don't want to apply if my payment is going to be lower then what I am getting.
SGTTango requested help in computing his CRDP/CRSC; I doubt he offers that assistance.

For a CRSC Estimate.

Please indicate whether you have a regular retirement or disability retirement (or reserve for that matter).

[Please provide] The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC approved

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? EXAMPLE: Yes, Reserve Retirement

Note: All the info listed above is necessary Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Ron

The Gross Pay is $5741.00
2) Regular Retirement/ DOD rating is 80%
3) 12 yrs 8 Mons (Active) 13 yrs 6 mons (Reserve)
4) VA Compensation with spouse 100% $3227.58/ NO SMC
5) Have not applied for CRSC yet, but expect to receive 80-100%
6) Retired from USAR/ 635-40 Chapter 4 code SFJ -Permanent Retirement

The Gross Pay is $5741.00
2) Regular Retirement/ DOD rating is 80%
3) 12 yrs 8 Mons (Active) 13 yrs 6 mons (Reserve)
4) VA Compensation with spouse 100% $3227.58/ NO SMC
5) Have not applied for CRSC yet, but expect to receive 80-100%
6) Retired from USAR/ 635-40 Chapter 4 code SFJ -Permanent Retirement

Hello CVirtuous,

Part One:

Bottom line up front:
If your approved CRSC percentage is less than 100%, CRDP will probably be your best choice.

Notwithstanding the information in Part Two of this reply, there is a shortcut to determining your CRSC. It appears you are eligible for CRDP.
Page two of your DFAS RAS should show the amount of your CRDP you likely receive now. That CRDP is based on the longevity portion of retirement pay. IF, your CRSC was approved at 100%, your CRSC would be the same amount of the amount of CRDP on page two of the RAS.

If your approved CRSC is less than 100%, the rate payable would be the lesser of
a. Longevity portion of retirement pay (which should be the same as CRDP on page two of RAS)
OR
b. the amount shown for that percentage in the VA compensation tables.

----------------
Part Two:

A reply is unnecessary if Part one answered your question adequately.

You mentioned "Regular Retirement/ DOD rating is 80%." Please confirm you received a disability retirement (@80%), but also qualified for a regular retirement.

I infer that your 5741 gross retired pay divided by 75% (max retired percentage) = 7654.67 Average high three for retirement. That amount does not correlate to the amount of retired pay you said you receive " $2442.48 Retirement " Please provide a copy of a redacted RAS or your average high three base pay for retirement.

Your active duty equivalent is necessary to compute your CRSC. You mention “regular retirement “ so I infer you had =>7200 reserve points. YOS for retirement percentage multiple determines the years of service for computing the retired pay multiplier[in this case for potential CRSC & CRDP] . This category of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360.

Is your active duty equivalent (points divided by 360) 13 yrs & 6months + 12 yrs 8 months ? Your retirement orders might have that info. Please provide a total of active duty years combined (example: 26 years 2 months).

Ron

Hello CVirtuous

Here is an example of CRDP and CRSC for a disability retiree who also qualifies for another retirement (e.g., Regular):

The following is a recent case for another retiree.

[Start--example]

Your current gross pay is 2207 with CRDP.
IF your approved CRSC percentage by your service is 100%, your CRSC will be 2207.

CRSC is non-divisible with a former spouse and it is non-taxable.

Bottom line:
If your CRSC is approved @ 100%, then CRSC is probably your best choice. If the CRSC is approved at less than 100%, then CRDP will be your best choice. This applies to your particular case.

Reason: With an example retired pay of 3000 and VA at 3500:

a. Retired pay (and CRDP) = 3000 under CRDP choice. Total in this CRDP example 3000 ret pay/CRDP + 3500 VA = 6500 received each month

b. CRSC @ 50% (using random number of 1500) results in
3000 retired pay reduced by 3500 VA comp = zero retired pay. CRSC replaces only 1500; the rest is "lost."
Total in this CRSC @ 50% example: 3500 VA + 1500 CRSC = 5000 received each month

For CRSC:
—Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received.
—CRSC will replace that waived/reduced retired pay as described above.
—If you have residual retired pay remaining after the reduction/waiver, that will lower the amount of CRSC payable.
[End of example]

Ron