Need help cause not sure what to do.

Ok so i got my findings today and they rated me at 40% and want to put me on TDRL or temporary Disability Retired List. My problem is that i have bill that i have to pay and if i accept this i will only get 1000 bucks a month till i get looked at again in 18 months. Does anyone know if i can take the severance pay and be done with this cause then i will be able to pay my bills. Thanks

If there is any other way to keep the bill current (loan from bank/family, etc.) or if they will defer it, you should consider doing it and push with your retirement. In order to get severance, you will have to appeal the retirement finding at the FPEB (or higher) and ask them to reduce your percentage (not a normal practice). If you can hang in there and get the loan taken care of temporarily, you have so much more to gain with a retirement....think long term pension, Tricare, etc.;) Just my opinion. Once you are on TRDL, you will be drawing no less than 50% of your base pay until put on PRDL, etc. Additionally, you can always appeal to be put on PRDL now rather than wait.

Yeah, thats a tough spot... remember you can have the unemployment etc to help out for the first six months till you can find a job if you are still able to work (dont know what your medical condition is). I mean, obviously long term with helther care etc. taking retirement would be better, so anything you can do to pay those bills would be better rather than asking for a lower rating... but push comes to shove, this is your decision, so just make sure you think about all the possibilities before you act....

Ok so i got my findings today and they rated me at 40% and want to put me on TDRL or temporary Disability Retired List. My problem is that i have bill that i have to pay and if i accept this i will only get 1000 bucks a month till i get looked at again in 18 months. Does anyone know if i can take the severance pay and be done with this cause then i will be able to pay my bills. Thanks

Have you gotten anything from the VA yet or are you legacy?

no i just got this from my PEBLO i still need to talk to the VA.
You should have gotten the VA rating at the same time from your brief from the PEBLO if your on IDES, something isn't right.

The reason I am asking is you may get more pay from the VA than from the DoD.

The PEBLO should have the VA rating (as Grizz13 stated) go back to PEBLO to have them explain it again. On TDRL you recieve 50% not 40 until you are found to be at your ultimate health stabilation. Never, never give up retirement over severance.

The PEBLO should have the VA rating (as Grizz13 stated) go back to PEBLO to have them explain it again. On TDRL you recieve 50% not 40 until you are found to be at your ultimate health stabilation. Never, never give up retirement over severance.

Severence is a good short term thing, but you loose out on the benefits in the future. You must weigh the financial needs as of what you need/want now, and what your family will need, want later. Yes your benefits can be given to a future family member... Think of the cost of having a child these days compared to 10 years from now!:eek:

Severence is a good short term thing, but you loose out on the benefits in the future. You must weigh the financial needs as of what you need/want now, and what your family will need, want later. Yes your benefits can be given to a future family member... Think of the cost of having a child these days compared to 10 years from now!:eek:

If you are in the IDES military medical process, you are rated and given TWO ratings.

One, you get a rating percentage from the Army (or whatever your branch).
Two, you get a rating percentage from the VA.

TDRL is an automatic MINIMUM of 50%. It's a temporary percentage rating, and the % will go up or down, depending on the out-come of your TDRL medical re-assessments on your medical conditions an were stated on your NARSUM.

PDRL from the military is a fixed and stable % rating. It will NOT go up or down. If your military rating is 30% or greater, and, you are given PDRL, you are permanently retired. That can NOT change. AND, you get TRICARE for life for you and your family (now and any future ones that may come!).

Remember, if you can, you can always use your GI Bill and get the stipend on it, too. Or, if you can't/don't want to use it, then transfer your GI BILL over to your spouse and let him/her use it right away, and get the education and stipend money right away. If you need the money that bad, and you can't go to school, let your spouse use it- if they can. That way, you can buy time to get on your financial feet as the stipend is good for 36 months, is TAX-FREE, and is NOT reportable on a FAFSA application, so it won't count as income and throw out your ability to get education grants, loans.

I mean, what would happen if you went to school full-time on the GI BILL? Or even 3/4 time? You'd get either 100% stipend as a full-timer, or 80% stipend as a 3/4 timer. Also, by being a student, you would qualify for LOW-INTEREST STUDENT LOANS. Would getting a low-interest student help you with some of your bills, by paying one ot two of them off? Some student loans are deferred - meaning, you get the student loan right away, but don't have to start paying it back until you either stop being in school for six months or so, or, you graduate. THEN, the loans and payments come due.

Just thinking off the top of my head - but something to consider perhps.....

But the bottom line is: DON'T take severance pay if you can help it. If you have a spouse and kids, or have kids in the future, health insurance is worth it's weight in GOLD! And a TDRL or PDRL will provide for your family - health care wise.

And if you get TDRL and it eventually rolls over to PDRL, you've got it made in the long run.

Go to va.gov web-site and you can get a solid idea of just what your Post 9/11 GI BILL can do for you!
Oh... You can only traansfer your GI Bill BEFORE you discharge from this time of military service. You CANNOT transfere this AFTER you discharge. And you CAN transfer just a few months of benefits, too. You DO NOT have to transfer the entire GI Bill - you can keep and use a bit and your spouse can use a few months of it. BUT, you only can get ONE stipend payment at a time.

V/r,
nwlivewire

Well said nw!