Need Help with CRSC

When did you submit yours?

I submitted mine last August 2017 and over a year and a few days now and still nothing..

I submitted mine September 8th 2017. So just under a year. For mine it just says justification combat award (CIB).

Have you checked your HRC retiree record? That's where I found my approval letter uploaded on Friday.

Apparently when I changed my password it was wrong the three times I entered it. So now I gotta wait 24 hours to reset it.

Apparently I can't access the HRC site with Windows 10. So I've been unable to check it.

Apparently when I changed my password it was wrong the three times I entered it. So now I gotta wait 24 hours to reset it.

Apparently I can't access the HRC site with Windows 10. So I've been unable to check it.

I accessed it with windows 10 just use your DS login level 2.

I accessed it with windows 10 just use your DS login level 2.
All my browsers say is the hrc website doesn't work.

IDK what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry Bryndanc for my late response. I submitted my Navy CRSC application on July 6, 2018 via email. I received an email on the same day from the Navy's CRSC Board saying that my application was received. My CRSC approval letter came in the mail on July 26, 2018. I called DFAS on August 8, 2018 to verify if they had received my CRSC award letter, and they said that they received it on July 30, 2018. Also, they informed me that my first CRSC payment will be deposited on August 31, 2018, and an audit was going to be conducted for any retroactive pay owed by DFAS and/or the VA.

wow!! 20 day turn around for NAVY CRSC. What is wrong with the Army?!

A hell of alot more requests pending on the army side. Air force has the shortest wait time and then Navy. They should add more doctors to process the back log of claims.

Army having way more claims is a given. IMO the Army should have hired more people or figured it out by now after years of knowing this. 12-15 months is unacceptable when you know it would take a trained person a couple hours to research the packet for a determination. Just my opinion. If anyone has experience at HRC or more insight I’d love to hear from you.

Fact: Army CRSC processing is accomplished by a civilian contractor.

Opinion: The contractor has inadequate staffing and possibly limited expertise.

Ron

Whelp..

I called and was told my letter was sent. Ended up with 60%. Took a year and some change!

Do I qualify for CRSC? 16 years, placed on PDRL, receiving 100% P&T, all ratings service connected.
bipolar disorder, type II with panic disorder, agoraphobia 100% Service Connected
gastroesophageal reflux disease also claimed as Barrett's esophagus 30% Service Connected
temporal mandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) 30% Service Connected
degenerative joint disease, lumbar spine status post fusion L4-S1 20% Service Connected
urge incontinence with decreased bladder sensation also diagnosed as neurogenic bladder claimed as cysts on kidney 20% Service Connected
radiculopathy right lower extremity 10% Service Connected

I believe I am in that special group that doesn't qualify, and nothing is listed as combat related.

Thanks for the help!

DFAS:

Eligibility
To qualify for CRSC you must:

• be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive your VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:
  • Armed Conflict
  • Hazardous Duty
  • An Instrumentality of War
  • Simulated War

Ron

Ok.
I get the rules, but I'm understanding those with less than 20 years, medically retired, dont qualify for either CRDP OR CRSC. My injuries cannot be proven to have happened in a combat environment, and I have nothing but my word. My back injuries happened as a result of assisting a 4-star travelling to combat zones all the time and was hazardous, but I can't prove it. How do I go about proving something that happened 25 years ago?

All my injuries and problems are "service connected" but nothing states in a combat zone, during training, hazardous duty or simulatednwar. How do I get this proof?

Ok.
I get the rules, but I'm understanding those with less than 20 years, medically retired, dont qualify for either CRDP OR CRSC. My injuries cannot be proven to have happened in a combat environment, and I have nothing but my word. My back injuries happened as a result of assisting a 4-star travelling to combat zones all the time and was hazardous, but I can't prove it. How do I go about proving something that happened 25 years ago?
Not all service connected disabilities are considered combat related, even if they occurred in a combat zone.

Your service medical treatment records would be one of the primary sources for proof of the event and treatment. The VA might have those records now as they were needed for your VA claim. However, since the VA apparently did not code the service connected disabilities as combat related, they might be insufficient for CRSC. You can obtain your entire service record from the National Archives at https://www.archives.gov/veterans

Unfortunately, there are cases where the retiree never finds adequate evidence to support a successful CRSC application. Do you have anything from the 4-star that mentions the injuries, such as an evaluation or letter?

Supporting information per Army, [excerpt]
Gather Official Military, Medical, and VA documentation:
Send to CRSC copies of DD 214/215s, as well as All VA-rating decisions including the VA letter, the VA rating decisions and the VA code sheets, Medical Records from MTF or VA physicians only, unless referred to a private physician by the VA, other typical official documents include, service medical record extracts, military personnel file extracts, military personnel data system printouts, prior military disability board decisions, line of duty determinations, safety mishap (accident) reports, next of kin notification (Western Union Telegrams), casualty reports, morning reports, duty status reports, order/travel voucher, official documents not in the military personnel record, etc.

———————-
Rules:
A CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years does not qualify for CRDP (must also qualify for a retirement other than medical, CH 61).

To qualify for CRSC you must:
  • be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay (a Ch 61 retiree with less than 20 years qualifies)
  • be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
  • waive the amount of VA pay from your retired pay
  • file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service

Last edited:
Medical retirees can get CRSC. I have 50% CRSC rating for my PTSD rating which is combat related. Just submitted my CIB, and award docs to show I was in actual combat. I was in 12 years National Guard (9 years 11 months of that was Active Duty Title 10 and Title 32). So basically my 50% rating gives me about 25% of my retirement at 824 a month. I get 3,615 a month from VA because my lungs are rated at a 100% on thier own. The main thing for CRSC is that it happened during combat, hazardous duty, simulated war, or instrumentality of war.

You dont qualify for CRDP if you have less than 20 years because CRDP is giving you your VA pay and your earned retirement (since you qualified for a regular retirement for your service length).

1. The minimum VA percentage for which any retiree must have for CRSC consideration is 10%. There is not a 20 year requirement for CRSC.

2. CRSC for Chapter 61 Retirees with Less than 20 years Active Duty or Equivalent

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees with less than 20 years AD or equivalent is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD disability retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities (i.e., service approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.)

Note: Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.

3. CRDP Eligibility

You may be entitled to CRDP if…

• you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater or;
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.) or;
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater or;
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability [e.g. 20 year regular retirement or reserve retirement with 20 good years and meets age requirement], and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.

Ron

Last edited:
CRSC question. Just approved for CRSC at 80%. VA 100% with spouse and two 17 yr olds. How do I calculate CRSC? 20.3 yrs service.

Thanks!
MSG Redleg FA Army Retired 2006

Are the 23.3 years (which is 23 yrs and 4 months) active duty?

The following would be needed to provide an estimate:

1. Type retirement (regular; disability; reserve)
2. DoD disability percentage/rate if applicable
3. Gross retired pay (before deductions) on recent DFAS RAS
4. Active duty years and months (reserve, divide total points by 360)
5. VA rating percentage and amount
6. CRSC approval percentage and effective date
7. Amount of retired pay, if any, left to be paid by DFAS after the VA offset (which is the amount of VA compensation)

Ron