script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

need help

dwagneremt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a few questions and Ill try to keep it as short as possible. I originally injured my shoulder in 2007. I just dealt with the pain until I PCSed to Drum in OCT 10. I was ordered to go get evaluated shortly after taking a PT test upon arrival. My first profile was in NOV10 for 90 days, Had second one that was for a month and then was on another 90 profile in FEB. I had shoulder surgery in May with 30 days of con leave following. This is where I messed up I didnt get back on profile coming off of Con leave due to its next to impossible to schedule any sort of medical care on Drum and my old CO had a policy if your broke you dont need a profile just do what you can and if anyone gives you any crap about it let him know since it was his policy. I also knew that I would be getting close to the year on profile mark and a MEB for being on a profile for the same thing for a year. November comes I think my shoulder is good and take a pt test and failed push ups. I was also originally in PT from July to Sept and missed a good portion of it do to having to go to the field. After the PT test I was told to get it squared away with the PA. I have since been back on profile since November and am back in PT. My shoulder I would say is about 50-60% better 9 months post op and is about the same as it was at my last reeval with the ortho in November. My profile expires the end of this month and Ill be getting another one here shortly as my shoulder is no where near better. So out of the 16 months I have been stationed at Drum I have been on profile or Con Leave for 13 of them and will be on profile for some time more than likely. My questions are when I see the PA again should I be requesting a Permanent profile since I have been on profile so long and/or ask about a MEB at this point. Im an 11B and feel like Im just occupying a slot that an able bodied soldier should be filling. Ive asked around at work and no one will give me an answer about what I should do.

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
It really comes down to personal choice. If you want to get out then going the perm profile is the way to go. If not, you need to figure out what your limitations are and if they are going to impact your ability to do your job. If the answer is yes, then you may need to look at another MOS.

At some point you will have to make this decision. I know we are all tough guys in the Army and don't want to give in, but that's not reality. I spent 12 years abusing my body and doing more than what was expected of me. For this i paid the price of causing more damage than could be overcome. Once you hit that point you will no longer have a choice. The ARMY WILL DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THE ARMY.

Remember, commanders and first sergeants change every couple of years. Today you have a command that supports you. Tomorrow you may not.

I am also at Drum and would be more than willing to chat with you about the process.

Joe

dwagneremt

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you for the answer. That is something I have been soul searching for myself for a few months now. I have the days when Im just frustrated and want to get out and then there are other days where I think I can still try and do my job. The down side for me is Im an old man playing in a young mans world in the Infantry. Ill be 33 this year and got a late start in the Army at 27.

I know commands change we just went through one not to long ago and I havent got a feel for the new CO yet. Ive thought about trying to change jobs but have a while under the new reenlistment system until I can think about reclassing short of going to an MMRB. I know the Army will do whats best for the Army especially now with down sizing.

Thats the hard part for me is my limitations right now seem to be using my left arm for anything as it will start to hurt after a little bit and push ups have been pretty much non existent try as I might since surgery.

Thank you for responding again I was trying to find someone who may have had to make some of the same choices.