Need Separation Date For Claim?

builtgypsy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you're trying to file a claim prior to separation, do you need a separation date before you can submit your claim? I know there's a 180 day window before you're separated where you can file a claim, but if you're in that 180 and still don't have a firm separation date, can you still send in a claim?

My unit keeps telling me to file for benefits through the VA, but when I went to the VA, I was told I needed at least a potential discharge date. I am suppose to ETS in August of 09, but I recently aggravated an illness. I asked the unit for a potential discharge date, and was told that they could not give me one. Who determines that date? What effects that date? Can I just use my ETS date? I was told that if I am not cleared medically that it could cause me to be extended...does this effect any thing if I file a claim with the VA?

If the service member remains on active duty for 60 days following the anticipated date of separation, disallow the claim in accordance with M21-1MR, Part III, Subpart ii, Chapter 2.B.8.e.

With disallowing the claim, does one have to start the process all over when another date is given? Does it affect the 6-12 month processing wait? I will just use my ETS date. Thanks in advance.