Need Some Advice On Separations

SALiquidSilver

Registered Member
Hey everyone, I stumbled across this forum while doing research about my current situation.

I am an EM2(3354) in the US Navy recently attached to an SSBN out of Washington. I have been transferred to a transient division after my Undersea Medical Officer determined that I was medically disqualified for Submarine and Nuclear Field duty. The reason for my disqualification is a series of Syncope events. The first event happened a couple of years prior to joining the service, the second event happened when I was in boot camp in 2009, and the third event occurred in 2012 while attached to the submarine. The instruction for Special Duty evaluation states that multiple syncope with no prophylactic treatment is disqualifying for the aforementioned duties. Based on my reading, however, I have not been able to determine if it is a reason to convene a MEB. The guidelines for MEB and PEB seem largely subjective, unlike the medical qualification instruction which is very black and white.

I have had other medical issues brought to light while the doctors were attempting to explain my syncope. These include a sliding Hiatal Hernia, a Polyp in my colon(Tubular Adenoma, which has risk for malignancy), and seemingly intermittent Iron Deficiency Anemia. The Polyp was removed, but I believe I read somewhere in VSARD that Polyps with the likely-hood of Malignancy and requiring periodic observation are eligible for disability rating.

I have only been in the service for approximately 4 years, so I would not be eligible for normal severance pay due to involuntary discharge.

What I am trying to figure out, is if attempting to convince my doctor to convene a MEB would be in my best interest. I have little to no interest in FRC, and am preparing to attend college after my discharge. It is possible that my EAOS is now June, in which case they might just hold on to me until then. If that happens, I will get an honorable discharge and the normal benefits of a 4 and out sailor(my rate requires a 4 year contract with a 2 year extension). If a MEB and PEB find me unfit for duty with at least 10% rating, than I will get some sort of severance pay(either 48*BP*.1, or 48*BP*.5*.1).

Any advice you guys can give me on this confusing process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

SALiquidSilver

Registered Member
I just realized that I posted this thread in the wrong category. If someone could move it to the appropriate one that would be great.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">