Need some help and advice

Zadams

Registered Member
Hello all,
Background: 9 years AD

This might be a little long winded, but I could really use some insight.

Recently, I just went through my second shoulder surgery for a repeat labrum tear, and my doc is recommending a total shoulder replacement to be conducted in March. He said I have completely lost all cartilage in my shoulder, and I will continue to get worse. Additionally, I had a surgery to correct a deviated septum in Aug of 2014, but my septum is still slightly deviated as seen by the naked eye. I broke my collar bone in 2013 on the same side I had both shoulder surgeries. My AC joint is severely separated on the same side, and my first surgery consisted of moving my biceps tendon (biceps tenodesis), cutting 1/2” off the end of my clavical (distal clavical excision), and a SLAP and Bankhart repair. Mobility is generally non-existent in my shoulder.

On top of all my shoulder issues, I have been experiencing chronic lower back pain for the last 7 years, which are all documented by a plethora of paperwork. I’ve had several epidurals, and facet injections to burn the nerve endings off in my lower back, as well as several years of PT and Pain Management. My doc is recommending a spinal fusion to correct my herniated discs and degenerative disc disease. My mobility in my lower back is pretty terrible as well.

What should I do? Do I have enough of a case to warrant a Med Board?

I am sick of being broken, and I don’t want to go through this for another 11 years.

Thank you all!

ArmyGuy4912

Registered Member
You can look at AR 40-501 which will tell you in Chapter 3 whether due to your conditions you are able to be retained in Army. I also have shoulder issues and it depends on your range of motion (ROM) degrees whether it qualifies. It only takes one condition to disqualify you for further service, which if you are placed on a P3 or P4 profile it will begin your MEB process. You may want to ask your PCM if they are waiting until you have the surgeries before they place you on a P3 or P4 profile. If you want to get the surgeries then it is best to do that before you start the MEB process.

Just a fellow soldiers thoughts!

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I would recommend a frank talk with your PCM about the amount of limitations you experience.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@Zadams,

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">