Need URGENT help ASAP!!

WWJD

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,
My spouse is currently an Air Force member, stationed at a Navy base overseas. He has been recently diagnosed with a rare medical disorder (Myasthenia Gravis), among many other medical conditions. He has been medevac'd back and forth to another military installation in theater because the doctors at his base cannot treat him. All of his physicians (different military branches) have recommended that he be stationed back CONUS to initiate an MEB, but his host Air Force base (where he is not stationed) wants to initate the MEB overseas. Unfortunately, if the MEB is initated overseas, we will have to remain here until it's over (which can take months, as you all know). Meanwhile, my husband is unable to be treated and his condition is getting worse and worse. Is there anything we can do to initiate a medical PCS, and start the MEB process in the States?? That way, he'll be able to receive the medical care he needs. This situation is VERY stressful!! :(

Personally I would have the physicians currently treating him contact his chain of command and request this be done. Maybe a formal letter or a phone call explaining in detail why having an MEB overseas would not be feasible based on condition.

I would still get a formal letter from the doctor for my own personal copy, if you need supporting evidence in the future.

If they don't want to work with them based on the scenario I would go with a Congressional request.

Bottom line; you always want to start at the lowest level. A Congressional inquiry in my mind is the last resort.

The hospital commander can talk with G-1 to get this approved, especially if the conditions are getting worse.

Thanks! His Navy docs are have already given their recommendations to the Air Force Chief of Medicine at the host base, but he doesn't feel the need for my husband to be reassigned...and, his PEBLO (who is also stationed at the host base) is very eager to get the MEB started. The Navy docs told the Air Force that if he was a Navy member, he would be immediately descreened (medical PCS). However, the Air Force is saying that (technically) my husband can be seen off-base if an emergency situation were to happen...unfortunately, it can take at least an hour or so to reach the off-base ER...and, it has already been determined that the ER on base cannot treat my husband. This situation just doesn't seem right to me. The Navy is doing all they can to help my husband get to a base where he can receive proper care, but the Air Force is just brushing it off. His condition is starting to affect his job because he's to the point where he is so exhausted in the afternoon that he can barely stand...the only thing his doc could do was put him on a two hour rest period in the afternoon because the Air Force doesn't have LIMDU (Navy limited duty). His chain of command is not too understanding because they don't understand the affects of Myasthenia Gravis, so they're not doing ANYTHING to help. It really sucks to see my husband suffering, and the physicians here are not even able to prescribe him any medication for his condition. Also, he's not stationed at the base that is trying to initate the MEB, so he is receiving VERY limited information by phone/email. His PEBLO barely picks up her phone, and the Navy no longer does MEBs overseas, so there is no help here. All of this is just adding more stress, which can actually make his condition worse. Looks like we may have to go the congressional route. Thanks for your advice.

WWJD - sorry for your situation, How does his personal Chain of Command work, can he get a meeting with his commander. I'd have him go see ADC on base or call one stateside (yeah I know timezone differences can be an issue but may have to make it happen sometimes..I was in Japan for 3 years) But, he may need to get an appointment with his commander and chief or something, and discuss this in more detail with all the evidence if necessary to show how this could be a serious emergency situation if he were to require those services this base/area cannot support. And then let the O-4/5's and lawyers deal with this. I cannot see the JAG officers supporting the primary players here:Chief Medical Officer, Navy Medical Officers, and your CC - not agreeing that a PCS stateside due to hardship or possible death/severe disability of support for your family's welfare, is NOT in your best interest, if that cannot occur or fails, then yes Indeed file your IG complaint, then next step should be Congressional complaint as posted earlier. Congressional complaints may work for some but are not a first line use.

-Scott

Personally I would have the physicians currently treating him contact his chain of command and request this be done. Maybe a formal letter or a phone call explaining in detail why having an MEB overseas would not be feasible based on condition.

I would still get a formal letter from the doctor for my own personal copy, if you need supporting evidence in the future.

If they don't want to work with them based on the scenario I would go with a Congressional request.

Bottom line; you always want to start at the lowest level. A Congressional inquiry in my mind is the last resort.

I see a lot of comments in this forum about submitting a Congressional inquiry to improve or correct a situation. Back when I was the Deputy Chief of the Enlisted Branch at First Army I personally answered all the Congressional inquiries concerning the actions taken by my branch. I remember talking to a Reservist who was very irrate because he was denied incapacitation pay. He said he was going to submit a Congressional inquiry on it. I explained to him that if he did that, which was certainly his right, the staffer at the Congressional office would take the inquiry, see that it pertained to the Army, and send it to the Pentagon, Office of the Chief, Legislative Liaison (OCLL) for response. OCLL would see that it was a Reservist and would then ascertain what Army Area that Reservist was under. They would then send the inquiry to First Army Special Actions Branch who would see that it was an incapacitation pay issue and forward it to me for response. I would then respond to the inquiry saying exactly what I had just told him (the Reservist).

As long as the command is doing things according to regulation and law, a Congressional inquiry has no effect. Now an inquiry CAN help if the command ISN'T following regulations and law . . .

ALWAYS file a Congressional Complaint no matter what someone tells you. Then file a SEC IG.

If you have to take your case further, it shows that you sought relief when you first became aware of the problem.

Out of ALL of the services the Air Force ignores USC, DoDI's and AFI more than any other services.

You need to start putting pressure on them right now...

Maybe that works in court. I always looked to see what the person did during the different stages of a personnel action. Did they concur with the proposed action? Did they waive their rights or formal hearing? Filing a Congressional inquiry or filing an IGAR doesn't show either.

Thanks everyone! We've contacted ADC for assistance with this...and may have to make an IG complaint, if the problem does not get resolved. My husband saw another physician today, and after examining him, she also agrees that he needs to PCS to the States ASAP (that makes 5 different physicians so far that have recommended we PCS to the States). The physician that he saw today says that she is going to personally call the Chief of Medicine at the host base to see how we can get the ball rolling. We should find out some status really soon. We still have not gotten any support from his chain of command...they claim they don't know too much about the situation (which is very hard to believe). But, we'll just have to wait and see what happens...thank you all!

Bottom line; if this individual needs to be back in the States based on several physicians; use every avenue possible to make it happen!! Your goal is to destroy any road blocks that may deter his well being! Bottom line; if this was my spouse I would go the distance to make it happen.

Additionally, while I was on Active Duty I always attempted to use my chain of command and start at the lowest level. However, when it comes to "family" the gloves comes off especially if it is a medical issue. I would not tolerate anything less than a head shake "north to south"! Honestly, Congressional will work with enough persistence.

Either informally speak with the XO/CO like others mentioned or request mast. File an IG complaint, contact the Wounded Warrior Office ( http://www.woundedwarrior.af.mil/ ), and/or look into a possible Article 138 if things don't move swiftly and properly.

If you PM me with your location I might have a contact for you. No guarantees, but I'll see what he can do.

His health is number one. The rest doesn't matter right now.

No grounds for an article 138. Do a SECAF IG and do a Congressional complaint ASAP. Get both of your Senators and your Congressman involved. They usually like complaints like this where they can say they actually did something. The point is that you have to go over everyone's head and make some loud noise to get the attention your husbands case needs.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. It looks like my husband's host base is still holding up the process. We had to file an IG complaint. IG and AFPC told us that the medical PCS is possible via Patient Squadron Assignment, and all we need are doctor's recommendations...they actually made it sound like it should be an easy process. So far, we have 6 doctor's recommendations, who have all made it clear that my husband needs to PCS. My husband has medevac'd again, and all of the new doctors that he's seen have also recommended a medical PCS back to the States, or at least to another MTF overseas that can treat him. I'm not sure what the hold up is...it seems like his host base and/or chain of command is trying to stop it from happening for some reason. AFPC told my husband to get with his PEBLO, but she's acting like she knows NOTHING about the Patient Squadron Assignment program, and she's continuing to push the MEB. She's trying to force my husband to sign some medical release forms to get the MEB started here. My husband has spoken to his chain of command, and has written a memorandum to his unit commander formally requesting a curtailment...but, he still hasn't heard anything back, yet (like I said before, he's getting very little support from his chain of command). He's also spoken to the Navy base CO (installation commander) about the situation, who also agrees that he needs to PCS. The CO says that he will get with my husband's doctors and Legal to find out how to get us reassigned. Since I'm civilian, I wrote an email directly to higher levels at my husband's host base to see if we can get some answers. I am scheduled to speak with the wing commander via phone next week. It just doesn't seem like it should be this hard, especially since we have so much backing for the PCS. I'm not in the Air Force, but I would think they would care about the members who serve this country a little more...especially, when it comes to their health. Some people have said funding may be an issue...but, we've been stationed overseas for almost THREE YEARS, so it's not like we just got here....our tour is almost up, anyway. And, when it comes to my familly's health, "funding concerns" is the last thing I wanna hear. Sorry to seem upset, but I'm just very frustrated with the whole situation, and I can't believe they're giving us such a hard time. My husband comes back from his medevac next week, so hopefully we'll hear some good news by then. Thanks again for your help!!

Thanks for the update, I was hoping things would go in your favor. It really does sound fishy that they won't let you guy scome back stateside...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we finally got the approval for the reassignment!!!!! :)

Thank you all so much for your advice...it REALLY helped!! :)

Best Wishes!

Thanks everyone...but, unfortunately things have gotten WORSE. We were supposed to be reassigned via Patient Squadron Assignment, but the Chief of Medicine claims he could not find a CONUS to accept my husband. This was very hard to believe, so my husband contacted IG for assistance. Come to find out, there was no request ever put in for my husband to be transferred. I can't believe we are being lied to!! On top of all of that, my husband is experiencing reprisal in his unit. This situation just keeps getting worse and worse...and my husband has now developed two more autoimmune conditions. His Navy doctors continue to put in recommendations for us to leave, but the Air Force just ignores them. I don't know how much more of this I can take...I'm tired of watching these people lie, mistreat, and bully my husband. Is there anything I can do as a spouse???