Needing help with understanding the CRSC

Hbell44

Registered Member
I'm posting this for my husband to help better understand how to figure out if he will receive a CRSC payment. This is what I know as of now:

He's has about 16 yrs 7 months in the Army (Active and Reserve).

Active: 8 yrs 5 months

Reserve: 8 yrs 2 months and 24 days

Retired as E-5

His VA rating as of now is 90% but we're working on 100% (2320.27)
(this includes a spouse and 2 minor children)

His Medical Retirement is 70% (2296.00)

CRS approved for 80%

All injuries were coded combat-related

Now We're just waiting to find out if he receive a payment and possibly how much.

Also, what would be a good estimate of time waiting the first payment to begin.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

What is his active duty equivalent?

Total points divided by 360 = active duty equivalent
(His active duty should be included in the determination)

I do not need the points...just the active duty equivalent. It might be shown on his retirement orders as “Disability Retirement Years”
or a similar term.

His CRSC will be the lesser of

--the dollar amount of his longevity portion of retired pay
OR
--80%, spouse and 2 minor children: 1897.80 + 68 = 1965.80

CRSC for most CH 61 retirees is the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay. That is the reason for requesting the additional information for estimates.

Medical Retirement is 70% (2296.00) results in 2296/0.70 = 3280 average high three for retirement
Active duty equivalent years x 2.5% = longevity multiplier
3280 x longevity multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay and potential CRSC

Ron

The only thing I could find for the active duty equalent is the time combined between active duty and his time as active reserve. This accumulates to 8 yrs 1 month and 10 days. How is it determined what it is based off of between the longevity or the other?

The active duty equivalent is the result of total reserve points divided by 360. Time spent on active duty is included in that determination. It is not the total time for base pay.

It would be shown on his retirement orders as “Disability Retirement Years” or a similar term. This would be the easiest way to find the info. Your spouse likely has other documentation that shows the info too.

Years of Service for Retired Pay Percentage Multiple. YOS for retirement percentage multiple determines the years of service for computing the retired pay multiplier. This category of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360.
—->LINK

The CRSC will be the lesser amount of
—the longevity
or
—the CRSC I showed for 80%

The longevity portion of his retirement cannot be accurately computed without the precise number of years and months for “active duty equivalent.”

I can offer from prior experience of doing hundreds of these computations since circa 2008 that his CRSC will probably be the longevity portion of his retirement. Consequently, doing the computation without an accurate active duty equivalent would result in a meaningless figure.

Ron

IF his active duty equivalent was 8 yrs and 1 mo (8.083 yrs) you mentioned as combined...

1. 8.083 x 0.025 = 20.21% longevity multiplier
2. 3280 high three x 0.2021 = 662.89 longevity portion of retired pay and CRSC in this case if 8 years 1 month was the active duty equivalent.

Army National Guard: Soldiers can review their Retirement Points Account Management System report. This review is conducted annually around the birth month of the member, and an updated copy is then posted to the soldier’s interactive Personnel Electronic Records Management System, or iPERMs, record.
Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard: Airmen refer to the Air Force Portal, Virtual Military Personnel Flight or vMPF, point summary website at www.my.af.mil/afpc2ww3/vmpf/Hub/Pages/ConfirmInfo.asp.
Army Reserve: Soldiers can review their Chronicle Retirement Point Statement DA 5016 at www.hrc.army.mil. Select “My Records” tab to review. You’ll need a Common Access Card.
Marine Corps Reserve: Marines can review their Career Retirement Credit Report at https://mol.tfs.usmc.mil/mol.

The info above shows locations of points data. I am not familiar with how one would obtain the info after retirement. Army reserve points are shown on DA 5016 per the quoted material above.

Ron

Then I gave you the correct time in my last reply. 8 yes 1 month and 10 days.
Excellent.

3280 high three x 0.2021 = 662.89 longevity portion of retired pay and CRSC in this case if 8 years 1 month was the active duty equivalent.

Ron