needing some advise

katnew84

Registered Member
I've been in the army for 14 years next month. I'm AGR and I will have 9 active and the rest is reserve time. I've recently been given a t3 for my back. My current PULHES is 212111 because I also have been diagnosed since deploying with Asthma. I also have achilies tendinitis, mild arthritis in my left knee, patellar tendinitis, sleep apnea (I have a cpap machine), depression, anxiety and possibly PTSD. As far as my back goes I have three herniated disks and a bulging disk that pushes up against my nerve in my back causing pain down my leg I also have arthritis in my back. They started me on pain meds and I go see physical Therapy on Friday. (they canceled on my twice) I have to take meds for my anxiety, depression, and my back. A lot of those meds cause weight gain and I'm struggling to keep it down and the fact that I can't exercise isn't helping. I'm at a loss on what I should do now. I'll find out my restrictions on Friday at physical therapy, but honestly I don't think I can keep going without hurting myself more. I can't run and because I work in S3 I'm suppose to be able to lift and move things but I can't. I had my PHA and my doctor asked me if I wanted to stay in the military, and at the time I did, but now I'm not sure if my body is going to hold up and I don't want to do any more damage to myself. I honestly don't know what to do any more. Even with the pain meds my body still aches all the time. My biggest worry of course is not being able to take care of my family and that isn't help my anxiety. How should I approach my doctor about my issues or should I just wait and see what physical therapy says and go from there? I'm honest not sure any more.

Just tell him exactly what you post. That you have back issues as well as mental issues and it is effecting your work performance and would like to be considered for a Med Board.

Just tell him exactly what you post. That you have back issues as well as mental issues and it is effecting your work performance and would like to be considered for a Med Board.

That is the scary part. I've always wanted to do my 20 and retire but now I have to wonder what the future hold for me instead and the unknown is hard. Gotta gather up some courage and take care of myself I guess.

Trust me I understand, I have 13 years active duty and just started the MEB 2 weeks ago. I would have loved to retire but I understand my health comes first.

Ensure your profile is updated with an accurate list of restrictions.

When trying to ignore and fight through multiple conditions, its normal to deal with restrictions under the table. As long as they see you trying and pulling your weight overall, they overlook some things, let some things slide, etc. Those things need to be documented as impacting your job if you are to receive a fair rating. The profile is the easiest way to do that.

Especially if you have radiculopathy associated with the back problem (nerve problems in the legs or arms, numbness, tingling, etc.). Those often get overlooked because they are all part of the keep stress off the back solution. 20% for a back is common, so it may become especially important in your case to make sure things are straight.

Ensure your profile is updated with an accurate list of restrictions.

When trying to ignore and fight through multiple conditions, its normal to deal with restrictions under the table. As long as they see you trying and pulling your weight overall, they overlook some things, let some things slide, etc. Those things need to be documented as impacting your job if you are to receive a fair rating. The profile is the easiest way to do that.

Especially if you have radiculopathy associated with the back problem (nerve problems in the legs or arms, numbness, tingling, etc.). Those often get overlooked because they are all part of the keep stress off the back solution. 20% for a back is common, so it may become especially important in your case to make sure things are straight.

For the longest time they thought my leg pain was my knee but couldn't figure out why I was having so much pain all down my leg from my knee to my foot. As I've stated I've hurt my knee as well. someone decided why not check my back. That is when they found out my l1-l5 and s1 were messed up. I had no idea that my back could be causing the pain in my leg. I even have numbness where I loose the feeling down the middle of my leg. Weirdest sensation ever. Thank you for the advice. I go to PT tomorrow and ensure that I have my profile updated.

Hi there Katnew84...your situation sounds a lot like mine so i am interested to see how yours goes. I have been in way less time than you though, but basically most of the same issues. I hurt my back and feet along with a bunch of other things, during airborne school. i didn't say anything to anyone because i felt that they were pushing people out of the training for any small thing (especially women), so i just pushed through until i got to my first unit. When I got to the 82nd, i went to sick call to have EVERYTHING checked out. Some of my injuries i have (mostly) healed from, but some have gotten worse over time. not to mention that during a bad land on a jump, i tore my ligaments in my r ankle that required surgery and now i have residual pain and limited range of motion. I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back with severe narrowing of the nerve canal so i have the pain down my leg like you do (sciatic pain). I have metatarsalgia in both feet (damage to the metatarsal heads in my feet from so much impact), sprained groin/hamstring, depression, increased weight from ability to exercise (and pregnancy 2 years ago that i have been unable to lose because of my conditions), sleep apnea with cpap... blah blah blah. i sound like a wreck! :(

i was in the same situation when i was active duty. my dr asked if i wanted to get out and i didn't. i pushed through for my 4 year enlistment and even reenlisted into the reserves because i wanted to go the long haul. Now, my pain has gotten so bad that i just can't keep pushing myself so i am initiating a med board but since i never knew anything about an LOD, my reserve unit is now tasked with having to create a ton of LODs after the fact and this process has just gotten so frustrating...not to mention that they are not happy about having to to the LODs so they keep losing my records or just forgetting about it. I'm confused about whether i need to have an LOD and profile for everything that I want to be rated for or if i just need a P3 for any one item just to get the MEB initiated and then they will just evaluate me for all the other things once the process starts. If you have any advice for me, i would really appreciate it.

As for your situation, i think that as much as it would be great for you to push through for a few more years to get the 20 year retirement...it really isn't worth the risk to your health. I understand your worry about not being able to take care of your family, but you certainly won't be able to take care of your family if you continue to hurt yourself and then become incapacitated from pain. The quality of your life is paramount and with so much pain...the quality will only decrease. don't worry about the financial part. i mean, of course you are going to worry, but you will probably get a high VA rating (possibly 100%), as well as a medical retirement and depending on how you got your injury, maybe other compensation. it will take a while, but it will work out in the end if you put in the work to make it happen. Medical records are key! Just my thoughts.

modest 13,

It doesn't surprise me that the reserve unit is loosing thing. I've only did one LOD and I'm not even sure it's in the system. (I need to look into that) I honest don't know about the LOD, but profiles are important. I would assume that the LOD is to prove that you were injured while on duty instead of on your own time and to help prove it was done in the line of duty. They show you've sought treatment for that injury. I've just started this journey for my back so I don't have much info when it come to that. The bad thing about being a TPU previously is that they don't have any of my record from when I was a reservist so I have to inquire with Some place in ST Louis to try and get everything prior to 2008. I've already received part of my records from the hospital and working on getting the rest. I forsee that I have lots of work ahead of me but its time I take care of myself. :)

modest 13,

It doesn't surprise me that the reserve unit is loosing thing. I've only did one LOD and I'm not even sure it's in the system. (I need to look into that) I honest don't know about the LOD, but profiles are important. I would assume that the LOD is to prove that you were injured while on duty instead of on your own time and to help prove it was done in the line of duty. They show you've sought treatment for that injury. I've just started this journey for my back so I don't have much info when it come to that. The bad thing about being a TPU previously is that they don't have any of my record from when I was a reservist so I have to inquire with Some place in ST Louis to try and get everything prior to 2008. I've already received part of my records from the hospital and working on getting the rest. I forsee that I have lots of work ahead of me but its time I take care of myself. :)

Ugh, what a hassle. I hope you ae able to find all of your records. Moving forward, anytime you go to the dr...ALWAYS ask for a disc/xray film of your procedure before you leave, and every time you see a new dr, ask them for your records. Periodically ask for your record from your regular dr so that you have a current copy of all of your stuff at home. as for my LODs, i have medical records showing i injured myself while in active duty and have even been rated for the injuries already by the VA...so i'm not really sure why they would need an LOD, you know. Anyway, i hope that you can get all of your stuff straightened out and be sure to scan all of your files into your computer and keep a hard copy in a binder. good luck!