New DBQ v. Expert Opinion. Is there a difference?

BuddyBoy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,
I had several non-IDES issues - deem, urology, shoulder.
The GP who did my C&P exam was awful - old story here.
My lawyer told me to get a new DBQ for urology, which I did.

Two questions:
1. Does the new DBQ refute the old DBQ done by the VA C&P examiner?
2. Do I still need an expert opinion from my urologist?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you. This is a tough process.

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
When it comes down to it, the CP examiner will fill out a DBQ and you can have your doctor fill out a DBQ. If this is the doctor you’ve been seeing for a while, more weight will be given to it because that doctor has seen you over time, vs a CP examiner for 30 minutes. There is a rule about this but I’m not sure where. It’s a VA rule or policy. You can search for it. If there are opposing DBQs, you can submit a VARR and reference the rule/policy when you find it.

Waste Heat

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,
I had several non-IDES issues - deem, urology, shoulder.
The GP who did my C&P exam was awful - old story here.
My lawyer told me to get a new DBQ for urology, which I did.

Two questions:
1. Does the new DBQ refute the old DBQ done by the VA C&P examiner?
2. Do I still need an expert opinion from my urologist?

Any help much appreciated. Thank you. This is a tough process.
Check out militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com. They have alot of this process broken down "Barney Style". I think what you are alluding to is called probabtive value. Basically, if there are conflicting opinions they will go with the doctor that is most qualified. Here is a link that talks about probative value -------> What are VASRD Principles? Do VASRD Principles affect your rating?. Hope this helps out. This is a very convoluted process. I have found the pebforum and Military Disability Made Easy sites to be the most helpful.

oddpedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Yea it does BUT your DBQ MUST acknowledge and give an objective rationale to the C&P examiner's negative opinion whatever it was. For example

A veteran goes to a c&p exam for fibro the examiner opines its less likely than not connected to service because the service member is obese.

Service member goes to their private doc who writes that the service member was seen for fibro related symptoms before they gained weight and the weight gain was more in line with the medication that was prescribed.

This private exam has far more weight to override the C&P exam because they addressed the examiners opinion specifically with an objective answer.

Just getting a DBQ holds little weight without addressing what the examiner wrote to sink your claim.

BuddyBoy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yea it does BUT your DBQ MUST acknowledge and give an objective rationale to the C&P examiner's negative opinion whatever it was. For example

A veteran goes to a c&p exam for fibro the examiner opines its less likely than not connected to service because the service member is obese.

Service member goes to their private doc who writes that the service member was seen for fibro related symptoms before they gained weight and the weight gain was more in line with the medication that was prescribed.

This private exam has far more weight to override the C&P exam because they addressed the examiners opinion specifically with an objective answer.

Just getting a DBQ holds little weight without addressing what the examiner wrote to sink your claim.
Ok. thank you. So I got the DBQ back. I should then ask him for a short, separate letter addressing why the original C&P examiner wasn't so thorough? Thanks.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">