Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello All,

I added this forum based on several recent posts from Servicemembers with MS. This is your place to discuss any issues with MS.

Thanks for being part of our community, hope this is a welcome addition!

Jason,
Thanks so much for this thread!! I just found this site and hopefully I can help shed some light on this for others as I go through the process.

Thanks again for this service!!

-Jeremy

MEB results with Devic's syndrome

I'm currently hospitalized and am being treated for Devic's Syndrome (NMO), a variant of MS. I am curious if there is any history of MEB results where Devic's Syndrome was the reason for the MEB. This condition is very rare and I am concerned about my future in the military. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

usafjkirk,

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your condition.

There is no searchable resource for tracking results of individual conditions (there are some stats out there on "classes of conditions," but they won't help you). I think the two things I would look at is how your condition stacks up against the retention standards, but even more so, ask your doctor.

I know this is not a definitive answer you were probably looking for but the answer will depend on the severity of your condition and the symptoms.

In the absence of any other info, I would think that a referral to a PEB is very likely. I base this on the fact that they initiated the MEB in the first place, that you are hospitalized for this condition, and the fact that in my experience neurological conditions like yours are very often referred to the PEB.

I hope all goes well both medically and with the MEB/PEB. Ask any questions you may have.

Thanks Jason for the reply. Yes, I've been informed by my case manager that I will be go through the MEB process. Thanks for the info, if I have any other questions, I now know where to go.

Please, I need some answers or guidance...

I'm being seen by a civilian neurologist for MS. I have begun taking daily injection treatments, yet my MS diagnosis is pending another round of MRIs in a few months. My numbness is getting to the point where I can no longer run for more than a mile without tripping. I am currently in the Army National Guard and my first symptoms began while on active duty three years ago.

Can anyone please tell me who I should see on the military side to determine my path forward? I have called the VA's MS Center of Excellence as well as my immediate command. No one can give me clear direction in regard to what will happen or who to see. The VA doesn’t deal with active/reserve Soldiers and my command has never seen an incidence of MS.

I would like to know if I'll be allowed to continue in the military (active or reserve) on a profile status, if I'll be forced out, etc. Also, who will determine my future in the military?

Sorry to hear of your bad news. There is some good info on this board for people with MS but we all have different situations so it is hard to get rock solid answers. I myself am a Air National Guardsman recently diagnosed with MS. I am in the stage of an IPEB at the moment and am waiting on an answer from AFPC. As a "part timer", you need to get a Line Of Duty as a first step of action. A Guardsman has to have a Line of Duty to get into the MEB/PEB process.
As far as staying in, the Air Guard said 100% no way I would stay in but our state air surgeon told me that if was in the Army Guard that my chances of staying in would have been pretty good. I just would have to transition to a non deployable job.
Keep us updated on your situation and rely on guys like Jason, they are a wealth of knowledge!

Thank you for starting the MS Forum. I was diagnosed in 2001 with MS, had an MEB and was returned to duty. I have few outward symptoms and rarely does it affect the performance of my "duties". The challenges that I have faced have had to do with PT and Mobility. My understanding is that being returned to duty with a code C (non-deployable) is that the MEB office is saying that I can do my primary AFSC duties, which I can. However, I am still required by my Group to have a complete deployment bag, come to bag drags, despite the fact that I cannot deploy. I do it, because it is not worth trying to explain. However, when it comes to PT I have never failed a PT test, do I suffer severly afterwards with fatigue and weakness, yes...but I never fail. Where I am running into problems right now is with the new emphasis on "mandatory PT". I work out at my own pace. I run on the treadmill in an air conditioned facility and I have never requested a profile to get me out of doing PT because I do it when I can, at my own pace. Yet, now the command has decided we will do PT at zero dark thirty 3 times a week, because they want to ensure we dont fail. I have talked with the Profiling officer at the Med Group to discuss how someone with my diagnosis should approach this problem. Many days I can do PT but I have a problem running in formation and running for prolonged periods of time due to lower extremity weakness. If I push too hard when my legs are weak it feels like I have and extra 10 pounds that I am pulling, which exacerbates all my symptoms. Despite the fact the profile officer discussed how the profile can be written to accomodate me, the Wing Fitness person that generates the 422 doesnt get it. I made an appointment to discuss my limitations with him and he said, PT is part of your "duties" and if you cant do it, you need to separate". I am not trying to get out of PT testing at all, I just want to do PT in such a way that I am not jeopardizing my safety. Maybe I should approach this by writing up an Operational Risk Management paper instead of just using common sence. LOL!

usafjkirk,

Did the military retained or separated you with this rare disorder, Devic's Syndrome?

Has anyone had experience being deemed fit for continued service with a diagnosis of MS? My partner is trying to remain in the submarine service, but is being told he will likely be deemed unfit, despite it having literally no impact on his ability to perform his duties (as confirmed by COs and other officers)?

Box,

I was just medically retired from the AF with MS. I was in a higher needed career field (nursing). At the beginning of the MEB process I was told that it would be unlikely that I would be separated/retired being that I was an officer (replacing me with a person with my training would be more costly than most because of my degree). However, I was unable to perform my normal job duties because of short term memory loss, vertigo, and fatigue/mental fog. Therefore they found me unfit (I did not contest it) and I retired.

Thus, I believe that it depends on how manned his career field is, how capable he is at performing his job duties, and whether he can deploy. I was told that MS is a nondeployable condition and this was a primary reason why I was found unfit.

Also, my commander had to complete a questionnaire confirming my inability to perform normal duties and then recommending my separation. I was told that high regard is placed on the commander's recommendation.

Hope this helps.

My partner is trying to remain in the submarine service

Unfortunately, being in the submarine service is likely an impediment to continued service. Given the austere nature of this service, it is likely an uphill battle to be found fit.

UPDATE:
- My partner, with the support of his command, community, and community and local personnel, sent a waiver to BUMED for a courtesy review while awaiting PEB results. BUMED responded that under no circumstances would they approve a waiver to return to submarine service. He was told there is no appeal process - BUMED just says no, period, regardless.

- Friday, he finally received his PEB results: unfit, with a DOD and VA rating of 30% because "his personal, command, and buddy statements were too good"

Based on the BUMED response, he will be accepting the findings of the PEB, although we both find it incredibly bizarre that the PEB is adamant that he be unfit for the Navy, despite the fact that there are currently serving officers with MS, and yet gave him only the minimum rating. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anyhow. So now we are dealing with the process of transition.