new IDES claim in ebenefits

flightlineback

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
so a new claim was submitted on ebenefits the day i retired which was 29 December, the new claim has IDES as the claim reasoning like for any other problem. So i did like any others would do and submitted my DD214 on the 8th of january of this year. now from what i gather this is for my final decision and award letter and all they needed was my DD214 to complete my claims. Now, the time frame for them to "complete" this claim is projected to close 26 January 2018 to March 7th 2018. and it has been stuck at "under review"....

my question is will i be paid 1 February with the back pay of january in there as well..... what have yalls experience been with this "new" claim

I retired Dec. 30th, already had my DD214 uploaded. New claim opened on 12/31. At pending decision approval right now, est. completion 1/22-1/28. Everything seems to be on track for a 1 FEB payment.

However...since we're playing the bi-monthly government shutdown game again this week, we'll see how it shakes out...

so a new claim was submitted on ebenefits the day i retired which was 29 December, the new claim has IDES as the claim reasoning like for any other problem. So i did like any others would do and submitted my DD214 on the 8th of january of this year. now from what i gather this is for my final decision and award letter and all they needed was my DD214 to complete my claims. Now, the time frame for them to "complete" this claim is projected to close 26 January 2018 to March 7th 2018. and it has been stuck at "under review"....

my question is will i be paid 1 February with the back pay of january in there as well..... what have yalls experience been with this "new" claim

The VA pays a month behind--meaning the pay you would get on 1 FEB would be for the month of JAN. On 1 MAR, you would be paid for the month of FEB--and so forth and so on. Therefore, there would be no back pay.

I retired Dec. 30th, already had my DD214 uploaded. New claim opened on 12/31. At pending decision approval right now, est. completion 1/22-1/28. Everything seems to be on track for a 1 FEB payment.

However...since we're playing the bi-monthly government shutdown game again this week, we'll see how it shakes out...

Did you receive payment on 1 FEB?

i didnt but noobzor did and he retired and his claim closed around the same time as mine..... which is really weird my ab8 changed from effective 1 jan with 0 paid to 1 feb with the amount paid

i didnt but noobzor did and he retired and his claim closed around the same time as mine..... which is really weird my ab8 changed from effective 1 jan with 0 paid to 1 feb with the amount paid

Same exact scenario here.

Notification letter that came in the mail says my January pay is being withheld in order to allow DFAS to complete its audit to make sure I'm not getting both MRP and VA disability comp. Called Peggy to confirm, the rep said I should see pay on 1 Mar. I would surmise you're in the same boat- did you receive your notification letter yet?

Notification letter that came in the mail says my January pay is being withheld in order to allow DFAS to complete its audit to make sure I'm not getting both MRP and VA disability comp. Called Peggy to confirm, the rep said I should see pay on 1 Mar. I would surmise you're in the same boat- did you receive your notification letter yet?

I didn't get the physical notification letter/package by mail yet. I believe we are in the same boat though.

I didn't get the physical notification letter/package by mail yet. I believe we are in the same boat though.

Edit: I just got the notification in the mail a few minutes ago. We are in the same boat (confirmed).

Was a bit of a surprise to me. The more you know...
I'll check in if anything changes.

So do we get retired pay this month from DoD?

If you're in a pinch and wanted to push the issue, you could call DFAS and see if they'll issue a retirement payment for Jan. It'll offset your DOD retro and it's taxable, but go with whatever fits your situation. I'm going to hold tight and see what happens March 1.

If you're in a pinch and wanted to push the issue, you could call DFAS and see if they'll issue a retirement payment for Jan. It'll offset your DOD retro and it's taxable, but go with whatever fits your situation. I'm going to hold tight and see what happens March 1.

Sadly, DFAS’s phone lines are not working well right now. They are having issues. I get cut off after about 10 seconds of getting someone on the line. Called 8 Times today. Kept getting disconnected. Got nowhere, really.

Pfft, of course they wouldn't be working around payday...

Use the AskDFAS page to submit a ticket. I've had decent response times there in the past.

AskDFAS

so what gets me is that page 5 of my letter states my compensation is with held until february 1st to a normal person who knows they pay in arrears that means they will hold it untill february 1st and you should be paid around that time, now page three states i should recieve my payment in 7-10 days of this notice.... so why lie to us and jsut say hey you wont get your actual first month till idk 3 months later just my 2 cents

also in my case im not recieving retired pay what so ever nor CDRP, as i only served 7 years but ya know any way they could take their time i guess

Last edited:
IDK, the VA is a strange beast. Supposedly DFAS sends the audits they've completed to the VA on the 5th of the month. My Retired Pay Waiver or Election claim in eBenefits changed today to pending decision approval, so it looks like that's pretty spot on. Should be on track for March 1. Hang in there.

IDK, the VA is a strange beast. Supposedly DFAS sends the audits they've completed to the VA on the 5th of the month. My Retired Pay Waiver or Election claim in eBenefits changed today to pending decision approval, so it looks like that's pretty spot on. Should be on track for March 1. Hang in there.

Indeed. But now I'm more confused. I just got a hard-copy check in the mail from DFAS for an amount that is over 2 times more than what my DoD retirement would be. I'm not sure what this is for, but even if they were paying me for JAN and FEB it would still be way too high to be my DoD retirement. And if it were payment for those months, what would the VA be paying out on 1 MAR as they have reported to me then? If I'm already overpaid by the DoD for JAN and FEB then the VA shouldn't deposit anything in MAR, right? But they sent me a letter showing that they would make a payment to me 1 MAR of the proper VA amount. I'm probably missing something so I will need to call DFAS and clear this up.

Anyone else out there get a random check?

There wasn't some sort of stub along with it explaining what it is? I'd call DFAS- if their phones are working yet. No checks received here other than final pay & leave sold, but that was a direct deposit.

There wasn't some sort of stub along with it explaining what it is? I'd call DFAS- if their phones are working yet. No checks received here other than final pay & leave sold, but that was a direct deposit.

No stub came with it to explain the payment. I assume it was a hard-copy check because my direct deposit info is now moved over to the VA for their use. The last direct deposit I got from DFAS was also my sold back leave, final travel voucher pay-out, and the BAH they owed me.

Meanwhile, I'm on hold with DFAS now. Their phones are back up and working well. The first representative that I spoke with looked up my account and stated that the check was DoD retirement for JAN (which I understand), and the remaining amount was "credit" (which I am less sure about). I'm on hold to talk to the Retro-pay office to clarify the nature of the credit and make sure I am authorized this payment. However, with a VA payment effective date of 1 FEB and a payout scheduled on 1 MAR for the correct amount, this just appears to be DFAS paying me retirement for JAN and compensating me for previous money owed to me for unknown reasons (audit or late payment credit of some kind). Either way, this payment will help carry my family through these transitioning times--so for that I am grateful. I'll let you all know how it goes.

No stub came with it to explain the payment. I assume it was a hard-copy check because my direct deposit info is now moved over to the VA for their use. The last direct deposit I got from DFAS was also my sold back leave, final travel voucher pay-out, and the BAH they owed me.

Meanwhile, I'm on hold with DFAS now. Their phones are back up and working well. The first representative that I spoke with looked up my account and stated that the check was DoD retirement for JAN (which I understand), and the remaining amount was "credit" (which I am less sure about). I'm on hold to talk to the Retro-pay office to clarify the nature of the credit and make sure I am authorized this payment. However, with a VA payment effective date of 1 FEB and a payout scheduled on 1 MAR for the correct amount, this just appears to be DFAS paying me retirement for JAN and compensating me for previous money owed to me for unknown reasons (audit or late payment credit of some kind). Either way, this payment will help carry my family through these transitioning times--so for that I am grateful. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Weird. DFAS Retropayments says they do not know why I was "credited". They have 7 days to explain or provide an answer. Meanwhile, I've got a check that I should not cash.