New members (anti-spam and support of the forum)

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
BTW, anyone who did sign up for the recurring $1 for 6 months, feel free to cancel, if you like.

(One of the downsides of the upgrade is that one of the modification apps that I use here does not support the PayPal Donate button that was previously in place. I suspect that at some point, that feature will be available again. In the interim, if folks want to donate, feel free to do so via PayPal. The email address is [email protected]).

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Bad news, at least initially. Within 5 minutes of removing the $1 posting fee for new members, a spammer registered and posted a "spam-tastic" message. (Fortunately, it did go to the automatic moderation queue for suspicious activity...this does not help much, though, as it still takes time to review and reject the posts).

If the current method does not work, there are a few more steps I can try. The issue is making it easy enough for folks who are legitimate to post but making it hard enough for spammers not to bother.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
And....another 3 spammers were able to register. I just tweaked some of the settings, but, let's see how things progress.

danieldresen

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
BTW, anyone who did sign up for the recurring $1 for 6 months, feel free to cancel, if you like.

(One of the downsides of the upgrade is that one of the modification apps that I use here does not support the PayPal Donate button that was previously in place. I suspect that at some point, that feature will be available again. In the interim, if folks want to donate, feel free to do so via PayPal. The email address is [email protected]).
Seen that you helped me out a couple days before I got my VA retroactive pay. I am sending a 30$ donation as a thank you for all of your help.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Seen that you helped me out a couple days before I got my VA retroactive pay. I am sending a 30$ donation as a thank you for all of your help.
I really appreciate that....though, it is not necessary or required. I think you are referencing your gofundme post (?).

I am really glad that things are looking up (at least a bit) for you.

As to this site, I am really conflicted about the whole support from members. My "dream" would be to be so well off personally that maintaining the site and helping folks would not impact me or my finances at all.....someday, maybe, I will get to that point.

Ideally, everyone would have the information and understanding of the process (and the military would do their part and properly adjudicate all cases) so this site would not be needed.

As to the general point of the previous "fee to upgrade" ($1/mo for 6 mo.), that I rescinded a week or so ago, I have a few comments:

1) I have seen a HUGE uptick in spammers getting through. This is a pain in the ass and something I hate. Having the fee seemed to really work well to tamp down the spam....while, the newest software upgrade seemed to work to almost eliminate that, I think the issue is essentially a trade off (my time to kill spam vs having the "fee" in place....not saying I will definitely keep things as they are, just describing the issues and my thoughts, overall);
2) I think that the original idea of having a recurring fee was pretty much a failure. That is, (and I am not sure about this, just my gut reaction/thought) I think that paypal was set up to take an initial payment, but, unless folks actually have a regular funded paypal account, the first payment- received of .67 cents- was the only one that went through...later payments did not go through....I think the net to me/the site has been about $40.
3) I have been pleasantly surprised that folks keep on upgrading/supporting with the payment even after it is no longer required. Have seen about 10 per week of that....it is clearly not about the money, but it really does make me appreciate the support. (Though, I am concerned that folks might be confused about the necessity of paying a fee....it is not required, and I hate to think that folks are upgrading out of confusion);
4) As always, I have so far never denied anyone who has a problem with registration in any event access to the forums.
5) I have what might be a naive or dumb idea that there might be a volume of donations/support that would allow me to fight more for folks. Everyday and all the time, folks who have served honorably and well and deserve compensation due to their disabilities are getting shorted and screwed out of their due. As soon as I am really wealthy (played PowerBall yesterday), I will take the fight to a higher level.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

AFmonkey

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
By chance do the spammer reside outside the US or a known location that typical US members would "not" be accessing the site from? Reason I ask, you can block specific countries IP ranges using .htaccess on Linux based hosted domains.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
By chance do the spammer reside outside the US or a known location that typical US members would "not" be accessing the site from? Reason I ask, you can block specific countries IP ranges using .htaccess on Linux based hosted domains.
Yeah, I should look at that...the current anti-spam does check and block ip based known spammers (from anti-spam services). But, I have not implemented just IP blocks by range (long time ago, I thought to not do that because of servicemembers maybe being deployed in a place that might trigger a block....but, really, unlikely that we will have members signing up here from India, Russia, Vietnam......so, I will think about doing that; the software actually allows IP blocks natively).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">