New to PEB

jtotheo

Registered Member
Hello ya! I have a situation and I wanted to know if ya can give me some insights on what to do. I am in the National guard with over 15 years of creditable service. Two deployments(2004-Iraq;2012-Kuwait). I am 40% service connected through the VA for numerous medical issues I encountered in the service. During my 2012 deployment, I injured my neck and was never issued an LOD or filed for one. As I transitioned from Demob I immediately went to the VA and put in a claim for my DDD/neck. I was granted 10%. My neck condition has limited me from doing certain things, three months ago we had our yearly medical MRW and I reported that I could no longer perform my duties and sleep on harsh conditions because of my neck pain. They issued me a Temp profile until I was able to retrieve documentation from my Dr who was seeing me-stating that I could no longer do anything that endures pain in my neck area. Medical Command issued me a Perm Profile and stated that I am not deployable. They also stated that I will be receiving an election/option of separation, medical discharge or go through the MEDBOARD process. I am an overwhelmed 1SG who is tired of babysitting these young Soldiers. I don't love it like I used to. Every drill, I have at least 5 Soldiers who look like they wanna fight me because they think I'm the one that does the drill schedule for the year and they feel like they have other important things to do. I have an LOD for a wrist fracture that occurred in Iraq title 10 and an LOD for a hip fracture that occurred on ADOS. I'm facing a medical separation for my neck. MEDCOM is telling me that its a non-duty medical injury and I have no LOD-if I go through the MEDBoard process I will not be retained either way.

My question is: If I go through the MEDBoard will this be a gamble in which my VA rating could change if the Army sees different? Would they consider my LODs on file. I already filed for numerous increases with the and I'm waiting for a decision. What should I elect? Medical separation within 60 days? If so, when does that date start? when I sign the election paperwork?
What will I be entitled too, if I elect medical discharge in 60 days? when will I start receiving my army retirement?
I have permanent profiles for knee pain, shaving, hearing loss, pauses in breathing during sleep, neck injury.
Am I ahead of the process with the VA? Should I not pursuit the Army with the MEDBoard process?

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello ya! I have a situation and I wanted to know if ya can give me some insights on what to do. I am in the National guard with over 15 years of creditable service. Two deployments(2004-Iraq;2012-Kuwait). I am 40% service connected through the VA for numerous medical issues I encountered in the service. During my 2012 deployment, I injured my neck and was never issued an LOD or filed for one. As I transitioned from Demob I immediately went to the VA and put in a claim for my DDD/neck. I was granted 10%. My neck condition has limited me from doing certain things, three months ago we had our yearly medical MRW and I reported that I could no longer perform my duties and sleep on harsh conditions because of my neck pain. They issued me a Temp profile until I was able to retrieve documentation from my Dr who was seeing me-stating that I could no longer do anything that endures pain in my neck area. Medical Command issued me a Perm Profile and stated that I am not deployable. They also stated that I will be receiving an election/option of separation, medical discharge or go through the MEDBOARD process. I am an overwhelmed 1SG who is tired of babysitting these young Soldiers. I don't love it like I used to. Every drill, I have at least 5 Soldiers who look like they wanna fight me because they think I'm the one that does the drill schedule for the year and they feel like they have other important things to do. I have an LOD for a wrist fracture that occurred in Iraq title 10 and an LOD for a hip fracture that occurred on ADOS. I'm facing a medical separation for my neck. MEDCOM is telling me that its a non-duty medical injury and I have no LOD-if I go through the MEDBoard process I will not be retained either way.

My question is: If I go through the MEDBoard will this be a gamble in which my VA rating could change if the Army sees different? Would they consider my LODs on file. I already filed for numerous increases with the and I'm waiting for a decision. What should I elect? Medical separation within 60 days? If so, when does that date start? when I sign the election paperwork?
What will I be entitled too, if I elect medical discharge in 60 days? when will I start receiving my army retirement?
I have permanent profiles for knee pain, shaving, hearing loss, pauses in breathing during sleep, neck injury.
Am I ahead of the process with the VA? Should I not pursuit the Army with the MEDBoard process?
Bottom line up front always peruse an IDES MEB if you have the option. It is the way to get your entitlements for life. There are many post on this site about the subject. Best regards, Ron P

jtotheo

Registered Member
I just got the memo Saying that I only have 14 yrs 6 months and 5 days of creditable service. WTF... Its giving me 2 options
A. separate in 60 days wiith no military retirement under 15 yrs of service
B. Elect to go through the NDR-PEB to see if I'm fit for duty. Even though I have a non deployable profile.(can I use this to buy some time towards my 15 yrs)
How long does this process take?
Will it interfer with my VA percentage currently at 10% for my neck injury?
I have no LOD But have all medical documents at VA. Feels like they trying to boot me out of the service without fault?
Will this turn the table and they could see that its army related after the board. I'm just seeking to earn what I'm entitled too-medical discharge with benefits. HELP!!!!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">