New to the process MEB for Migraines and degenerative disc disease w/ETS Apr 2019

tjay

Registered Member
So fairly new to the forums here and am in a bit of a pickle here if we will. I knew I was going to ETS and start terminal in Feb, job lined up with a start date around that same time frame. Mid July however my commander refers me to the DAWG and low and behold they FINALLY decide to move forward for a full MEB/PEB evaluation after my 4th referral.....and after I decided to separate. Realistically, how far fetched is it that I will be able to complete this process if they decide to go through with a full MEB before my ETS date of 25 Apr 19? My new employer really wants me in place around the time I was suppose to start terminal, if my clearance is all good to go around the same time. I also have a 30 day window to work with from the time of completion. My commander recommended not to retain me and that I cannot perform my job duties due to the intense amount of pain in my lower back and she held nothing back in an attempt to push towards the MEB (after talking to me and asking what I wanted). I have zero ROM because of my back issues (S1, L5, L4 and another one in my upper back, took a fall from 25 feet in training 11 years ago finally caught up to me).

?? Jul 2018 - Referred to DAWG
10 Aug 2018 - Code 37
7 Sep 2018 - Commander Impact letter sent (after being submitted to the wrong commander, no telling how long it sat with the wrong commander)
12 Sep 2018 - PEBLO forwards the CC Impact Letter to me for signature

USAFJETMECH

Registered Member
Each Person is different as far as timeline, you can elect the LDES which eliminates the VA, and you would have to file on your own. If you Elect IDES, you go to the VA and submit your claim whilst still in. This process can take up to 295 Days. But they have told me which you'll see here as well the process is moving much quicker. Either way there is a chance you could make your ETS.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The AF allows enlisted members to ETS rather than go through an MEB, but not officers. Each service has its own guidance. Read your service guidance, you may be allowed to ETS rather than go through a MEB/PEB.

tjay

Registered Member
Each Person is different as far as timeline, you can elect the LDES which eliminates the VA, and you would have to file on your own. If you Elect IDES, you go to the VA and submit your claim whilst still in. This process can take up to 295 Days. But they have told me which you'll see here as well the process is moving much quicker. Either way there is a chance you could make your ETS.
Thank you for the information. My PCM had me make a log book of my migraines a while back so I have had it going for a while. Met with her friend, she said it will more than likely be a full med board based on everything. I am fine with that at this point in my career. It was a hell of a 12-year run but you have to know when to say when. My back is getting worse and quicker than they originally thought it would. I went from one bad disc to two, and now a third. Sat down with my first sgt as well and he agrees as long as there is no set back I should be out by my ETS if that is the route they decide to take.

tjay

Registered Member
I hope to hear something soon from the PEBLO as I sat down friday with my PCM and did the IRILO and her NARSUM. Ill check back on your post and see how the IDES process is treating you, thanks for the help!

tjay

Registered Member
The AF allows enlisted members to ETS rather than go through an MEB, but not officers. Each service has its own guidance. Read your service guidance, you may be allowed to ETS rather than go through a MEB/PEB.
It will be more beneficial to medically retire than to just ETS for my kids which is my number one concern. Right now sadly it is a race agaibst the clock as my new employer needs me in place asap, however they understand the process. Hoping for a unfit or fit determination here soon.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">