New to the process MEB for Migraines and degenerative disc disease w/ETS Apr 2019

tjay

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So fairly new to the forums here and am in a bit of a pickle here if we will. I knew I was going to ETS and start terminal in Feb, job lined up with a start date around that same time frame. Mid July however my commander refers me to the DAWG and low and behold they FINALLY decide to move forward for a full MEB/PEB evaluation after my 4th referral.....and after I decided to separate. Realistically, how far fetched is it that I will be able to complete this process if they decide to go through with a full MEB before my ETS date of 25 Apr 19? My new employer really wants me in place around the time I was suppose to start terminal, if my clearance is all good to go around the same time. I also have a 30 day window to work with from the time of completion. My commander recommended not to retain me and that I cannot perform my job duties due to the intense amount of pain in my lower back and she held nothing back in an attempt to push towards the MEB (after talking to me and asking what I wanted). I have zero ROM because of my back issues (S1, L5, L4 and another one in my upper back, took a fall from 25 feet in training 11 years ago finally caught up to me).

?? Jul 2018 - Referred to DAWG
10 Aug 2018 - Code 37
7 Sep 2018 - Commander Impact letter sent (after being submitted to the wrong commander, no telling how long it sat with the wrong commander)
12 Sep 2018 - PEBLO forwards the CC Impact Letter to me for signature

Each Person is different as far as timeline, you can elect the LDES which eliminates the VA, and you would have to file on your own. If you Elect IDES, you go to the VA and submit your claim whilst still in. This process can take up to 295 Days. But they have told me which you'll see here as well the process is moving much quicker. Either way there is a chance you could make your ETS.

The AF allows enlisted members to ETS rather than go through an MEB, but not officers. Each service has its own guidance. Read your service guidance, you may be allowed to ETS rather than go through a MEB/PEB.

If you discover you must go through an MEB/PEB be sure you keep a migraine log.

Each Person is different as far as timeline, you can elect the LDES which eliminates the VA, and you would have to file on your own. If you Elect IDES, you go to the VA and submit your claim whilst still in. This process can take up to 295 Days. But they have told me which you'll see here as well the process is moving much quicker. Either way there is a chance you could make your ETS.

Thank you for the information. My PCM had me make a log book of my migraines a while back so I have had it going for a while. Met with her friend, she said it will more than likely be a full med board based on everything. I am fine with that at this point in my career. It was a hell of a 12-year run but you have to know when to say when. My back is getting worse and quicker than they originally thought it would. I went from one bad disc to two, and now a third. Sat down with my first sgt as well and he agrees as long as there is no set back I should be out by my ETS if that is the route they decide to take.

I hope to hear something soon from the PEBLO as I sat down friday with my PCM and did the IRILO and her NARSUM. Ill check back on your post and see how the IDES process is treating you, thanks for the help!

The AF allows enlisted members to ETS rather than go through an MEB, but not officers. Each service has its own guidance. Read your service guidance, you may be allowed to ETS rather than go through a MEB/PEB.

It will be more beneficial to medically retire than to just ETS for my kids which is my number one concern. Right now sadly it is a race agaibst the clock as my new employer needs me in place asap, however they understand the process. Hoping for a unfit or fit determination here soon.

1 - 5ish Oct - IRILO sent to AFPC

no clue when it was actually sent, I hadn't heard anything for weeks and asked my shirt to contact the PEBLO hoping he'd getting better results. Hope to get a response from AFPC soon as I am holding on to faith that this will get done by march

Correction, my PEBLO is completely clueless and has no idea how to do her job and my package has just been sitting with her because in her own words "she has no idea what she is doing"

12 Oct 18 Full Med Board directed

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am waiting on ratings back for an MEB for Migraines too. I've been put on quarters about two days a month for a long time. How many have you been put on quarters or missed work for?

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am waiting on ratings back for an MEB for Migraines too. I've been put on quarters about two days a month for a long time. How many have you been put on quarters or missed work for?

I was missing on an average two days at the least just from migraines. Having to go in and get the magic cocktail of shots.

15 Oct 18 initial PEBLO brief no med hold required.

I was missing on an average two days at the least just from migraines. Having to go in and get the magic cocktail of shots.

That's the same for me, although my VA examiner decided to put "Once per month" in her report, which is likely going to severely screw me over.

That's the same for me, although my VA examiner decided to put "Once per month" in her report, which is likely going to severely screw me over.

Wow was in documented in your records that you were having more than one?

Wow was in documented in your records that you were having more than one?

It certainly is, for the past 2 years. She was apparently a fill in nurse for the doctor that called out that day. I filled a complaint about how half the C&P she did did not reflect the records and how she misrepresented my words in the exam. For example on my GERD/Hiatal Hernia portion she wrote "veteran on daily medication, says he can eat anything" after I told her I was unable to eat a full meal, had to eat small amounts and ensure I dont lie down after, cant sleep on my side and need to sleep sitting up, but I can eat just about anything in small amounts that doesnt include acid, or spice. What a freaking scam the VA is.

Anyway, I plan to file a request for reconsideration once my MEB is over. I've been sitting at pending decision approval for 3 weeks now.

It certainly is, for the past 2 years. She was apparently a fill in nurse for the doctor that called out that day. I filled a complaint about how half the C&P she did did not reflect the records and how she misrepresented my words in the exam. For example on my GERD/Hiatal Hernia portion she wrote "veteran on daily medication, says he can eat anything" after I told her I was unable to eat a full meal, had to eat small amounts and ensure I dont lie down after, cant sleep on my side and need to sleep sitting up, but I can eat just about anything in small amounts that doesnt include acid, or spice. What a freaking scam the VA is.

Anyway, I plan to file a request for reconsideration once my MEB is over. I've been sitting at pending decision approval for 3 weeks now.

Geez I am sorry to hear that. My migraines are pretty bad and straight forward as well as my back issues. I hope you fight it and get the outcome you wish, and I have heard the stories of how some of the Va screws people over in these exams.

19 Oct 18 Va MSC 26 Conditions listed

25 Oct 2018 - 4 exams scheduled for Nov 1 and 5

25 Oct 18 Appointments set for Nov 1st, 5th and 14th 5 total appointments