New to WTU

SadrCity_11B

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I want to say thank you to everyone on here and the creators of the forum. This is what SM'S and Vets need. So awesome to read and be apart of this community now.

I have a few questions if someone could help me with. Again, I am new to WTU, I joined the army 11B 2005-2009 1 tour to Sadr City, Iraq sniper team member. 2009 - currently reserve soldier. I am rated 60% va since 2009 for 30% for anxiety(ptsd), lumbar strain 10%, r ankle strain 20%, tinnitus 10% secondary to TBI-0%, Been on title 10 orders since 08/13 -08/15, now on mrp 6 months orders at ft stewart wtu for ptsd, chronic back pain, r ankle coalition.

1. My NCM sent 5 LOD'S to my PCM for review in beginning of Aug 2015, I keep getting told he will get to them when he can. Do I just keep asking or is there a different method. I have medical records supporting all the LOD'S.

2. I just had 2 surgeries on my r ankle - 5 inch bolt in my heel to fuse my ankle, wedged metal plate and removed coalition and I most likely will have 0 mobility 3 MD's. My question is will this alone start a med board, my pcm put me on a temp profile for this pulse 3, what should I expect

3. I have been diagnosed with asthma fever I think is 45-55 I believe, taking abultarol, singular and symicort daily. I was told this is genetic, I only remember on my entry medical review the there being a comment from me saying " my mother told me I had asthma before I was ten, but I can't remember having it or taking meds and I past all my entry level med review clear all pulmonary exams joined the infantry. Will this be a pre existing condition because my mother told me i had asthma before i was 10 but there is not any medical documentation I have search everywhere i have lived. I read different post on this subject .

4. Being that I am a reservists since 2009 and va disability of 60% what should I expect towards the va exams I'm not sure about my situation on this my benefits have been on hold since I was on temp active duty orders state side until I come off. I'm not sure what to expect plus I have new inform on there diagnosis being misdiagnosed.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post I have alot of things I need help with but I will ask that another time. Again thank you all for any guidance you provide. I know I might be all over the place sorry guys

3. Preexisting is fine. Ensure they note service aggravation. They need to figure out a rating before you joined and a rating now that the military has done its work. Since you had no limitations or medication prior to the military, its pretty obvious it was at a 0% level before joining, so the idea that it is preexisting should have no effect on your current disability level from the asthma. They can only get around that by saying it is clearly and obviously natural progression, which is ridiculous IMO.

2. The treatment received is not usually what they care about for a MEB. Its how successful the treatment was. If the plates and screws did their job awesome and you have no problems, a MEB doesn't make sense. The exception being the maintenance of that treatment, i.e. can't get them dirty or something like that, it may be enough for them to say you need a MEB. See this all the time for meds that require monitoring, the treatment is what causes the MEB, not so often for surgery. You saying most likely you will have 0 mobility suggests you are still doing PT and adjusting to the foot post surgery. After they confirm that you have 0 mobility, or some other significant limitation, then the MEB is appropriate.

4. The MEB should come with a new VA exam and claim, so you will have an opportunity to update things. They will go off the old stuff where they can, but should update things as you point out the problems. The fact payments have been put on hold has little bearing. Once you stop receiving active pay the old stuff just gets turned back on and then a few months for them to put the new stuff in place.

1. Don't believe there is a good work around. Medical has to put in their 2 cents, just have to wait for them to do that as far as I know.

Thank you for the information. I am currently on a temp profile for basically no pt until post op. My surgeon advised he does not believe I will be able to continue in the military and might walk with a cane but I will be close to pain free, however they messed up on the 1st surgery which a bolt was to long and went through the opposite side of my ankle hitting tendons and a nerve causing alot of pain. Doctor had to redo that portion 3 weeks late which now I can't flex my foot at all.

I have another question if you could advise. Once I arrived at wtu I was sent to the TBI clinic and conducted the test which showed I had cognitive impairment. The doctor stated she could not find anything in my records to support my accounts of multiple ied and efp blast, rpg exploding right next to my head basically, so she couldn't deem me having tbi cause of lack of evidence. However, I had records showing 82nd airborne medical treated me for ied blast, documenting my concussions and headaches. When I went to submit it to the TBI clinic they basically got upset with me for having brought them the documentation and one MD said that I shouldn't "tell someone to upload documents" because I look like I'm hunting for benefits. Is that right for him to had said that. I just want fair treatment and be on top of everything so I don't miss out of anything I'm entitled to if the med board continues.

How long should I have to wait for LOD'S to be processed? Thanks again

Unfortunately getting the LOD's processed can take some time, however there is a silver lining since the WTU cannot do anything with you until the LOD's are completed.

If you were in the proximity of a IED or blast, and have documentation of it, you should seek out treatment for the cognitive issues that you have screened positive for.

Try to remain calm and patient, make sure that the records that you do have get scanned into your AHLTA notes, this will help you if you file a claim with the VA for the injury.

My response to "seeking benefits" involves a great many impolite words, so this is hard to answer coherently. Nobody gets benefits who doesn't ask for them. Asking is appropriate behavior. If you need help, either with continued medical treatment after the military, monthly compensation because of reduced work ability, or whatever, don't feel bad for asking for it. The idea that you don't deserve them isn't for them to decide. I personally recommend owning it. Yes, I am seeking benefits. I wasn't really seeking to get knocked around by a blast, but well, since I was, I'd like more out of it than a story at the bar. Anyone who disagrees with that probably needs to be knocked around themselves.

Benefits come in two flavors. Treatment is one. This is the safest to get angry about and demanding for. Doesn't sound like the TBI is causing you significant problems ATM, just the tinnitus. Likely you just want to make sure your medical record is straight in case the TBI becomes a big issue sometime later. They really don't think you deserve the benefit of free medical treatment if this TBI turns into a big issue 5 years down the road? I doubt it, they're just being pricks, and I would probably tell them so.

That said, the VA already service connected it, so that's taken care of. The question about TBI seems to be about the PEB. The PEB won't do much with it unless you can talk about how it is effecting you in more ways than the tinnitus. That's your focus, and that's what you want treated now, if that exists. If its just a cover your arse thing, I think you're probably ok. I'm not sure where exactly you fall with that, cognitive impairment is pretty vague, and kinda suspect if you had no idea it was there before the testing, but we have a tendency to hide things or avoid things, so hard to say if that, or maybe other things, is worth pursuing, but certainly not because you don't deserve benefits.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your input. Scoutcc I since 2008 I've had horrible sleep apnea/ insomnia as well as 1-2 actual migraines a week but it has been getting better with the meds I'm taking now but still puts me on my butt when it kicks in. I have a log as well as I read on previous threads. Been assigned recording device for my short term memory issues and have been attending headache therapy, cognitive therapy and sleep group therapy. I have been offered to be apart of a residential ptsd/tbi program from my BH doc. I have heard positive results from these programs, I just don't want to be on some kind of suicide watch or lock down program. Sorry I'm all over the place I just figured how to work this site and I'm extremely anxious about all of this.

The treatment plan is appropriate. Residual issues from TBI may potentially linger and I can testify that once you hit the WTU (removed from your normal active duty routine) the symptoms do get worse.

Normal course of treatment involves a neuropsychological exam (baseline) to be followed up with cognitive behavioral therapy and speech therapy (classes on the use of assistive technology, not necessarly for how your speak).

Sleep disorders such as apnea, and sleep disruption due to anxeity and depression are very common. The sleep issues also contribute to memory loss and fatigue.

You will be required to do a risk assesment for suicide weekly as the military wants to make sure you stay alive, so answer the questions truthfully. If you ever feel as if you will harm yourself or somebody else make sure to talk to somebody about it.

Thank you for your post. Yea I have never had suicidal or homicidal thoughts ever I just heard those programs are great for people who have difficulty socially and emotionally which is where I think I would fit in.for the sleep apnea would they most likely put that as a secondary to my ptsd or mtbi?

Sleep apnea in it's own condition. You will do a sleep study which with determine the freequency of apneas, hyopneas during your seep cycle. If the condition warrants you may be prescribed a CPAP or BIPAP machine, and possibly medication too.

Typical rating from the VA is 50% for the sleep apnea and it is a condition that is very difficult to get found unfit for by the military.

Currently right now I have been allowed to missed morning formations cause of my apnea/insomnia in some has been including in my medical records but not on my profile yet. I have mentions this to my pcm along with my asthma and other issues be added but he just says no problem he will add it but he hasn't for over a month. My last appt he didn't want to set up appts until I return from con leave which is Dec 1 I dunno what to do without pissing them off or trying to screw me over. They just seem to be pushing me to the side and I'm hoping they aren't trying to have me come back and clear me for duty. My medical records are a mile long showing all my issues for years but it's just concerning when the pcm, NCM and BH aren't really trying to get me appts while I'm on con leave I just feel they are doing under the table stuff but I have no facts.

In my opinion, you should look for an alternative solution than missing formations. The morning formation is a very important part of the military day, quite a bit of information is put out that is invalulable.

Perhaps you can schdeule time during the day for revovery sleep?

I think it is great that the command is wiling to modify your schdeule to accomdate you.

I agree. They are doing this until I develope a good regiment with my sleep meds right now. But I'm on con leave for 90 days post surgery at home so I don't have to worry about formation at the moment.