No MEB...Yet.

tsshipp

Registered Member
I'm hoping I can give the rundown on this fairly quickly.

I'm in the Virginia Army National Guard. I'm 34, been in for 10 years, 7 as MP, the last 2ish in an Intel unit that won't send anyone to school (a story for another time). Its been a good career, never had any issues except for the typical hurry up and wait.

In October 2017, I suffered a back injury picking my daughter up off the floor. Quick electrical shot from my low back into my right foot. I spent two days in bed unable to walk because of the pain. By the start of December I was good to go and went back to the gym. At the end of December, while working out, I felt another tweak in my mid and low back. It progressively got worse through that day and I haven't been the same since. Spent 5 months working with a physical therapist in early 2018, had to completely quit working out in July 2018. Eventually found myself at an orthopedist's office and was then referred to a rheumotologist by November 2018.

I have spondyloarthropathy and inflammatory polyarthopathy (arthritis in 4 or more joints). All of my pain centers in my low ribs, low back, and pelvis. I began taking a medication for it about 3.5 weeks ago, but it will take up to 16 weeks to even show signs of working, if it does. I have good days, bad days, and flare ups. It's something I'm always aware of, even on a good day and will be something I have to mitigate for the rest of my life.

In January 2019, I had my annual PHA and provided documentation of my condition. The provider wanted a list of limitations from my doctor. I provided those and I'm pretty much on a deadman's profile for the next 90 days (until June). I've only recently provided all medical documentation from my PCP to physical therapist all the way to now. It took me awhile to get it all together, but it was all turned in this past week. That will bring something about I'm sure, but in the meantime, I have to provide a document from my doc stating limitations, every 90 days.

Given the condition itself (and my being unfamiliar with this situation in the military), I was sort of surprised they didn't move right for an MEB. Although, after a lot of what I've read, I suppose that's a typical newb expectation. My case manager said its 18 months old to me, but only 3 months old for them. All the same, I don't exactly want to live the next 2 years of my contract 90 days at a time. I have no intention of re-enlisting in 2021, at the same time, I sure as hell don't want to sit around for the next two years of it either.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some thoughts, opinions, stories, realistic expectations, advice, etc. on how I should proceed with all of this.

Thanks, guys.

XenPorta 2 PRO © Jason Axelrod of 8WAYRUN