Not Service Connected??

lboneal

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I received my Final199 (23JAN13) and am satisfied w/ the results. I was medically retired @ 30%. However, I have point(s) of contention. I claimed the following:
Left/Right Hip Condition
Left/Right Knee condition

My R/ Knee has underwent undergone three knee surgeries (1 ACL reconstruction, 1 ACL Revision, and Meniscectomy) All surgeries occurred over Five years. Knee diagnosed as Osteoarthritis (10% VA) Furthermore, I also Herniated my L4/L5 disc several times over 7 years. Both injuries overlap. I finally underwent an Artificial Disc Replacement and have DDD (20% VA).

I claimed the above conditions b/c being ACL deficient twice and for so long coupled w/ my lower spine issues cause undue strain and pain on my hips and knees. It also ruined my gait.

VA rated my R/ hip as 10% but stated that evidence does not support a current diagnosed disability. VA writes "We are proposing the following conditions are not relevant to your military svc."
*How do I go about id'ing what supported the R/ hip diagnosis but not the left hip?
*How do I prove to the VA that they are indeed related?

VA also did not rate my left knee. VA stated "Although you claimed svc connection for bilateral leg condition, during the examination you told the examiner that this is actually your L/ knee and there is no other part of you L/ leg that is symptomatic and there is no current (that moment in time) pain in the L/ knee or lef. Therefore, no diagnosis of bilateral leg was given."
*I am confused as to what they are saying? My left knee does hurt but is that not enough to be considered my leg?
*I believe I answered wrong. Should I just appeal the finding once out of the Army?
*Again, How do I better explain this?

If any of these conditions are referred, then you can do a one-time VA Reconsideration. Once you are retired, you can file a Notice of Disagreement about the condition if it is not a referred condition.

I would talk it over with a Legal Representative since you have ten days to make a decision.