Not sure how to proceed

Grey_Man

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I have been in the Oregon Army National Guard for 3 years now. When I got back from Infantry OSUT I began having lower to mid back pain. Not wanting to draw any attention to myself or be singled out I ignored the pain for about a year or so. Last year during a long ruck my legs gave out and I collapsed. After getting myself back up the back pain intensified significantly. I, stupidly, didn't seek medical help or let any of my COC know about it. The pain has worsened ever since. Earlier this year I finally began to see civilian doctors about the issue off and on for a few months, same with a chiropractor. I also attended an annual PHA and spoke with the military provider and he advised me to seek PT help and gave me a temporary profile. I've had an X-Ray and an MRI done. They've shown nothing surgically wrong. I've been referred to PT but haven't gone yet. During AT this year the pain in my lower to mid back has hit an all time high. I've been taking Robaxin (methocarbomal) and it has not helped. My units medical personnel has contacted my COC requesting documentation of the injury(s) around the time that the pain originated. I've given them everything I have. I've filled out an LOD during AT and they advised that I needed more documentation if it was going to fly. I have no clue on how to proceed with this. I cannot perform my military job any longer. Also I really don't want to mess up my back further if I am going to pursue the civilian career than I want. Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

You are in a sticky situation. As a drilling soldier, you are going to have a hard time proving that the injury occurred while you were entitled to pay.

Reserve/Guard units are not good about completing line of duty investigations and unless you have treatment records showing the origination of the injury occurred while you were entitled to pay, or was aggravated while you were entitled to pay, it is hard to get service connection.

Continue to push for a line of duty investigation, request a duty limiting profile to prevent any further aggravation of the injury.

I did the same for my illness. I waited months before I started seeking treatment. I say, its never too late and just provide as much as you can when asked and in the end, everything should be fine. When you talk to your providers, make sure you give them dates and times of everything and why you didn't seek help in the beginning. For me, my issue started in January of 2015 and didn't seek help till may. Its a much shorter time frame but I explained to them I thought it would go away but instead over time it just got worst.

Thanks for the response. My temp profile has just expired and I just was informed that I need to fill out another LOD and that it will more than likely turn into a formal LOD with an investigation. I'm trying to get as much info out on the origination time and any records that I might have included. I just feel so stuck in this situation.

I did the same for my illness. I waited months before I started seeking treatment. I say, its never too late and just provide as much as you can when asked and in the end, everything should be fine. When you talk to your providers, make sure you give them dates and times of everything and why you didn't seek help in the beginning. For me, my issue started in January of 2015 and didn't seek help till may. Its a much shorter time frame but I explained to them I thought it would go away but instead over time it just got worst.

I've tried to get as much info on dates and records as I can in. Like I said I don't have much because of my stupidity in ignoring the pain. If I may ask, what was your illness and outcome? Thanks

I have Unknown Source of Dyspnea. Linked with Asthma, Chronic Panic attacks with Anxiety. Serviced connected.

I ignored my issues because I thought I had a common cold at first. But as time passed, it got worst. I used to run a 1st class fitness and combat test and shoot expert on the range. I failed my last Fitness test with a 50 minute 3 mile run ( I used to run 21 minutes and the passing time is 28 minutes) which ended in me going to the ER after.

I got 70% for Dyspnea. 90% with VA while claiming other stuff such as broken hand and migraines.

Retiring.

I have Unknown Source of Dyspnea. Linked with Asthma, Chronic Panic attacks with Anxiety. Serviced connected.

I ignored my issues because I thought I had a common cold at first. But as time passed, it got worst. I used to run a 1st class fitness and combat test and shoot expert on the range. I failed my last Fitness test with a 50 minute 3 mile run ( I used to run 21 minutes and the passing time is 28 minutes) which ended in me going to the ER after.

I got 70% for Dyspnea. 90% with VA while claiming other stuff such as broken hand and migraines.

Retiring.

Man, that does not sound fun. Hopefully it's being taken care of. I too used to get consistent 270-280's on the APFT and now I've failed twice due to not being able to complete sit-ups or the run, let alone put on full kit and perform my job. I feel ya brother. Fingers crossed that the VA doesn't screw you over like they have countless times to other vets.